NFT for paywall content

Do you think that such a scheme is possible for an average adult game?

• Yes

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • What is NFT?

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

Girm Ork

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
This discussion is about cryptocurrency. If you don't know what cryptocurrency is, please answer "What is NFT?" in the poll.

Let's imagine a game with some paywall-locked content. This content is available for NFT holders only. The number of NFTs is limited. So, let's say that only 1000 people could potentially support the developer. But the price for one NFT is unpredictable and depends on the game's popularity.
Any supporter could stop his support anytime by trading his token to someone else. And he will get his money back if the NFT price is stable.
Anyone could support the project as long as tokens are selling. But if tokens are too expensive, only really rich and crazy would buy them.
The developer is getting paid as long as he has at least 1 token to trade. When he will sell his last token, the development process will stop even if the game is not finished.

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
This sounds super interesting from an idea standpoint. Just to shake things up and do something different entirely. However, I forsee two things happening. Essentially, NFT prices would stabilize or decrease when popularity or demand decreases, and would rise when popularity and demand increases. Since supply is fixed, let's rule it out, and assume all supply is bought up. Therefore the price of the NFT is going to directly correspond to how much demand there is to play the game. In other words, momentum. Which is kind of boring?

Sounds cool, but in reality, seems like the first 1000 would be bought up immediately. Some probably duplicate owners. Then up sold to high demand buyers because of release momentum. Then it would slowly die. Essentially you would be tying the price to play with the momentum of traditional sales. So that's kind of boring really.

The cool idea is having a player buy the NFT, and then pass the game along to another player, collecting royalty off that NFT. Would be even better if every time an NFT was bought or sold, it impacted *that* version or instance of the game. Like carrying save files or something. From a marketing standpoint I don't think it's very groundbreaking. From a technical and theoretical gameplay standpoint it could be really interesting.

Girm Ork

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
This sounds super interesting from an idea standpoint.
Yeah, it is just an idea. I don't really think it is useful right now, but what if the situation in the adult games industry would change? Like, imagine a situation when incest games are persecuted as much as lolicon games.

but in reality, seems like the first 1000 would be bought up immediately.
If it is a game from Akabur, then yeah, of course. But if it is a game from an unknown developer (like me, as an example), it is not the case. People never heard about me, how can they be sure that the game will be cool? Also, the price for 1 token could not be too low. You have to pay miners when minting those NFTs.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] but what if the situation in the adult games industry would change? Like, imagine a situation when incest games are persecuted as much as lolicon games.
Since the persecution mostly come from the payment processors, how a NFT that people would have to buy/sell through the service of a payment processor, would solve the problem ? And if those persons are ready to use less established and/or more shady payment processors for the NFT, then they would also be ready to use them to directly pledge/tip.

Girm Ork

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
how a NFT that people would have to buy/sell through the service of a payment processor
Most of those payment processors do not verify your identity and the legal status of tokens.
Also, I am not an expert in crypto, but is not it possible to write a smart contract to trade those tokens directly without any payment processors?

Jul 22, 2019
And if those persons are ready to use less established and/or more shady payment processors for the NFT, then they would also be ready to use them to directly pledge/tip.
As far as I'm aware you don't use payment processors when buying NFTs. That's all done with crypto (mostly ethereum). Payment processors come into the mix with crypto exchnages, that place already has problems with some payment processors blocking their user from making payments to/from some trading platforms. But at that point payment processors (or the exchanges for that matter) don't really trace your tokens to/where they come from.

but is not it possible to write a smart contract to trade those tokens directly without any payment processors?
It is, and that's how its done. Kind of the whole point of crypto really.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Most of those payment processors do not verify your identity and the legal status of tokens.
Also, I am not an expert in crypto, but is not it possible to write a smart contract to trade those tokens directly without any payment processors?
Ok, my bad.
I thought that you wanted to create a NFT-like system (it's a trend in discussions here and there, an utopia ; the robustness of blockchains, but available to any mere mortal), not effectively use The NFT system. Reading again your thread opening, not sure why I read it this way.

As far as I'm aware you don't use payment processors when buying NFTs.
Yeah, misunderstanding.