Daz Night Indoor Shot - Critic and suggestions

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Ok, so here i tried to make a bedroom scene and to keep it as much real as possible.

Since i am not a pro, i hope i can confirmation or suggestions. I think, in my unprofessional mind, that it looks good but what do i know.
I used for this scene only 2 spotlights and a pointlight, plus one lamp switched on.
The moon/sun maybe a little too bright.

Even with my current setting, this takes a long time to render. 1+ hour.
Iray Cam and so...

2023-04-06 12_38_12-DAZ Studio 4.21 Pro.jpg
2023-04-06 12_39_38-DAZ Studio 4.21 Pro.jpg

2023-04-06 12_39_57-DAZ Studio 4.21 Pro.jpg 2023-04-06 12_40_32-DAZ Studio 4.21 Pro.jpg 2023-04-06 12_40_56-DAZ Studio 4.21 Pro.png
These are assets from DeviantArt which were free.
I had to delete two planes from the iray cam. Otherwise i would get the light flushing all over.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Does this look good or need some adjusting to believable for a night scene at home?

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
In my equally unprofessional opinion, I would want much more light on the characters. More light on the characters than the room itself. Realistic? I don't know, but it's XXX and I want to see what's going on.

But it's all subjective and what's right for one person can be wrong for another. There's no accounting for taste :)

An example of a room that's maybe a little brighter lit than yours, but the characters much more so.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
In my equally unprofessional opinion, I would want much more light on the characters. More light on the characters than the room itself. Realistic? I don't know, but it's XXX and I want to see what's going on.

But it's all subjective and what's right for one person can be wrong for another. There's no accounting for taste :)

An example of a room that's maybe a little brighter lit than yours, but the characters much more so.
This looks even better.

I really like to preserve the vibe of the scene. So in a dark setting to really keep it dark. But then again, it maybe too dark. Mission accomplished.
I think your image still shows, it's night dude, but lights it better.
So i think i will follow that example.
I took me ages to find a bed room that i think isn't too posh. It's more or less a cube. (STZ Bedroom 4)
So easier to work with.
I will try to leight her more. Though i want to accomplish that with my lightning system. Pointlight and such.

Well, i always refer to myself as an beginner amateur. There are so many things i still don't know. It's horrible.
And i think everyone that i talked to here that is an official developer know way more than me. So i am just sucking up what ever i can learn.

I really like your image.
Btw. i removed myself from using any poses and instead went to just move every bone myself. It's quite fun. Really. ;)
When i have a more lid character, i will post it here.

Thank you for your input.

BzPz

Jan 16, 2022
More unprofessionalism from me.

For most of my indoor scenes I tone the HDRI way down or just use "Scene Only".
The light in my rooms is provided by a big Ghost Light ceiling.
This way you can control the ambient light by changing the "Emission Color" and "Luminous Efficacy".

For example, this is my setup:
bathroom scene_result.jpg

Here is my night time render:
Night Bath -BzPz_result.jpg

And changing the "Emission Color" and "Luminous Efficacy" of the ceiling light gives me this:
bath time day_result.jpg

BzPz

Jan 16, 2022
Why did i had to say, professional. This will haunt me forever.
We're all professional amateurs here.
I used to use Ghostlights but stopped using them and instead using whats buildin in DAZ.
GhostLights are standard in DAZ, it's a term for transparent emission surfaces.
You can make any surface a GhostLight by setting the "Emission Color" to any colour except Black, "Luminance" to a really high number, and "Cutout Opacity" to a really low number.
I suggest setting the "Luminance Units" to "W".

Then, by simply changing the "Emission Color" and "Luminous Efficacy" you can change the colour and intensity.
Of course, a bigger surface provides more light, hence a "Ceiling Light" slightly smaller and lower than the actual ceiling to light up the whole room.
GhostLight Luminance.jpg GhostLight Cutout Opacity.jpg

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Why did i had to say, professional. This will haunt me forever.

This looks really great.
I used to use Ghostlights but stopped using them and instead using whats buildin in DAZ.

What it shows me is how illuminate it can be without destroying the mood of the scene. It looks round and full. Warm. I like it.(y)
So i have to aim for similar results.
Back to the drawing board. :unsure:

Ok, i did another version. This time i added light from the window (no sees) and increased the lamp more. It should be having more light on the character for sure.

test1.jpg

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
There are many, MANY ways to achieve this sort of thing, a lot of it comes down to "what am I looking for?" but I think the key amongst all of them is this - make sure you can see what's going on.

I am not even close to "good" at this, but here's 5 examples of different night scenes I've done. (Note: while 3 of them are outdoors, that's sort of irrelevant to everything - as 1 of them uses an HDRI, the other 4 do not. The way the scene is lit in these cases would be identical indoors or outdoors). All 5 were done a different way.

All of them are fairly clear it's night (or at least dusk) - but they're also all fairly well lit, considering - and all were done totally differently. (One was done with an HDRI, one was done by fully lighting the scene then adjusting tone mapping settings, one was done almost entirely with ghost lighting, one was done by just removing almost ALL lights from a scene, then adding a ton of spotlights and a few ghost lights here and there, and the last was done by again turning off all lighting (scene only), and then using emissives, point lights, and spotlights.)

These certainly aren't the pinnacle of artistic merit, but it just goes to show that there are a multitude of different ways to make it very clear that it's nighttime, while being able to see everything, which IMO is the most important part of it. (Some of them are "cheating" in the sense that it makes sense they're well lit - the top one is at a restaurant with plenty of lighting, the bottom is indoors with the lights turned on-but even then it's fairly clear in both that it is in fact night time).

Best thing I can say is, fuck around, and experiment. Not everything you try will work, but eventually you find something that does. And then try other stuff until you find something else that works. Eventually you'll start putting all these things together, and after a while you'll actually be making stuff thats way better than mine.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I think what i can take away from it is, lid the character no matter.

It's probably true that players don't even ask the question about, hey is this night or what. They look at the characters and that is it.
Personally, i always strive create something that i can believe and i am not very good at it.
I think my attempt looks alright though it's probably not the best by any means. I haven't done any outdoor shots at night. I played with sun and sky and this gives really nice results. Though for indoor shots it's kind of useless if you want to use an Iray Cam. So i went back to emulate it with pointlights.

The other obstacle i face most of the time is the color. Using blue for the tint looks strange to me. Though i haven't found the right kind of blue perhaps. Colors seem to be important in some ways.
I wish is studied photography as you learn all these things in that trade.
The understanding of spectrum and the interactions of everything in a scene.
I think i will take some real examples of photos and trying to copy it into DAZ somehow.

All the examples that were shared are beautiful and i like them all. So i will try to reach at least that quality. And again, not to neglect the characters.

I think it is so important to ask the community to get a sense if what you made is somewhat good or not. It helps to get better at things.

Thanks noping123 for sharing your images.

The biggest problem is myself, i think.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Really interesting.
Not sure how much you apply to DAZ but the principle is explained.
I will make some test to see what works best.
Like shooting in bright light and dim it down later in post work. Or the black screen. The more i think about it, the more obvious it becomes.
Thanks for sharing, no__name . As always.(y)

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Also remember the color temperature of light when it is blackbody radiation - warm light 2500-3000K for incandescent lamps, fires, candles, 4000-5000K sunsets, 6000-7000K daylight.
But at nighttime, you can use blue/purple color to simulate the loss of color saturation due to the dimness of the light.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Also remember the color temperature of light when it is blackbody radiation - warm light 2500-3000K for incandescent lamps, fires, candles, 4000-5000K sunsets, 6000-7000K daylight.
But at nighttime, you can use blue/purple color to simulate the loss of color saturation due to the dimness of the light.
When i used blueish color in tint, it always looked like i was on an acid tripo_O. So i haven't figured that part out yet to get the right composition.

• Haha
Reactions: osanaiko