VN Ren'Py Unreal Engine No feeling of difference in quality between compressed and original version

Deleted member 3727657

May 22, 2021
Hello, today in a post (I will post the link below) he posted several photos in different qualities (around 10 different qualities) when I was comparing the quality of the largest file with 3 or 4 lower ones (that is, their size is between 4 It was 8 times less) I could not see the difference in quality at all!
Then I read somewhere that when the monitor is small, there is no difference between the original quality and the quality of the compressed version (my laptop has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and its size is 17 inches), I wanted to make sure of this.
Because I want to download Being Dick, it is 20 GB, while the compressed version is 4.5 GB

Thank you for sharing your experience or knowledge

https://f95zone.to/threads/differences-of-compressed-and-original-one.22722/#post-9140756

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
If your internet is slow or you lack space just download the compressed version.

Most people will not notice the difference between mildly compressed images unless you put them side by side. Videos are a bit easier to notice compression artifacts though, so if the game has videos it is something to consider.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Then I read somewhere that when the monitor is small, there is no difference between the original quality and the quality of the compressed version (my laptop has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and its size is 17 inches), I wanted to make sure of this.
Strictly speaking, and at equal resolution, it's not that the difference is harder to seen when the monitor is small, but easier to see when the monitor is big. Pixels will be bigger on the big monitor, and the lack of difference between two pixels (due to the compression) will be more obvious.

Deleted member 3727657

May 22, 2021
If your internet is slow or you lack space just download the compressed version.

Most people will not notice the difference between mildly compressed images unless you put them side by side. Videos are a bit easier to notice compression artifacts though, so if the game has videos it is something to consider.
I tested the midnight ride game, that is, I downloaded its compressed version (I had played the original version a year ago), I completely felt the difference in quality, it's true that most people don't feel it, but I have sharp eyes and rendering is the most important part of a game for me. That's why I feel it completely, that's why it's better to download the original version of the games, I'm from Iran, the internet speed here is very slow and the internet here is paid and expensive, that's why I asked that question, thank you very much, friend.

Deleted member 3727657

May 22, 2021
Strictly speaking, and at equal resolution, it's not that the difference is harder to seen when the monitor is small, but easier to see when the monitor is big. Pixels will be bigger on the big monitor, and the lack of difference between two pixels (due to the compression) will be more obvious.
A beautiful explanation, exactly