VN Ren'Py No Name Tales [Development Thread]

number500

Jul 19, 2020
capa1.png

Please, consider supporting us on Patreon:

UPDATE 09/15:

Now we have an Itch page with updated versions for Windows, Linux and Android.
We need feedback on the new visual features implemented recently in the interface.

Please, check it out:

Overview:
You play as a social misfit that finds himself abandoned at home by his own father, who canceled the house's rent and internet and flew to another continent without any warning. Taken by anger, paranoia, flirting with madness and fearing to become a homeless person, he decides to challenge Life itself in search of revenge, which, surprisingly, responds immediately.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The final game will be fully 2D drawn. Currently, we are using Blender 3D to build the house, characters, assets and tracing over it to speed up the process and keep the consistency between camera shots in cutscenes.

-----
English is not my native language and this is my first attempt to communicate with you.
I’ll soon update this post with more info and post some screenshots of what we are currently doing in the project.

Hope you guys support us in the future in case you get hooked by the story or the development process.

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
looks like you're trying to do some neat stuff with what I am guessing is a fisheye lens

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
This link is a pre-alpha build of the game. What do you guys think?
I tried to translate it myself

I don't review game but since you stole my incredible username :giggle:

I liked it so far.
A bit too memey for me but I'm sure lot of people may like it.
The pace is quite good, it's off to a pretty encouraging start.

I also love that shot, gonna have to render something similar this WE :whistle:

792890_m01.png

Reactions: number500

number500

Jul 19, 2020
We are using really low budget PCs to make this game, so in some occasions we have to spend some time optimizing our assets and workflow to keep working without crashing our computers.

Before making this thread I was already working on the living room area trying to reduce the overall polycount so we could add more decoration objects and relevant details in the future releases of the game.

[Just to make it clear: this will not be a 3D rendered game. The final product will be a fully drawn 2D game. We are using Blender 3D just to speed up the posterior drawing process]

These are the optimized objects we have so far (with and whitout wireframes):

collection_w.png collection.png
Before, we were working with more than 7.000 faces only in these objects visible in the scene, now, it's just 1.547 faces.
(The actual number of polys and objects is WAY greater, and I won't show to avoid a BSOD)

Some of these objects in detail:

detail1.png
Telephone, 149 faces.

detail2.png
Wooden boat, 389 faces.

detail3.png
Decoration items, 277 faces.

detail5.png
TV, 117 faces (it was 3.255 before! What a waste of precious resources).

detail4.png
Entrance door, 504 faces

This whole process has been very pleasant for me because I'm very fond of low poly objects. The optimization of this living room is not over yet. I have covered less than 50% of the total items and I'll keep working right away.

I don't review game but since you stole my incredible username :giggle:
All the names of the project are placeholders, including the game title. It was totally not in our plans to draw specifically your attention using this name:ROFLMAO:, but now we are glad with it because of your spontaneous review. Thank you.
(Btw we could change it anytime if you are not cool with this thread title, just PM me)

Last edited:

number500

Jul 19, 2020
quarto2c.png

Right now we are working a bit more on the bedroom props to get all the materials right and in place before start to draw the actual scenes.

We also counted this time with the help of Xanthor72 who did an awesome job on proofreading the English script, which improved the ingame dialogue significantly. I hope we start to get some income after the launch of the game so I could retribute all the help we receive from you guys to keep this project going.

Here is the link of the updated version, now with Portuguese and English languages avaliable.

Last edited:

number500

Jul 19, 2020
This week we took some time to revamp all the UI code. I think it's looking better now.

Here is some before and after images for comparison:

old0001.png new0001.png

old0002.png new0002.png

old0003.png new0003.png

With this part done, the next step is to prepare Android and iOS ports for the future versions of this project. Wish me luck!

Reactions: Cul

number500

Jul 19, 2020
screenshot0077.png

I think this customized skip notification is the lastest screen left for editing. Now I think it's time to refactor some code and clean all the mess left behind these days.

In case you guys want to see the other new custom screens, I just updated the original post with our Itch link for download the game:

PC and Android versions now avaliable.

We need some feedback on these new additions. Feel free to comment or PM me.

DarkHumor

Nov 19, 2020
Anyone have any working android links for the game because neither did the itch or patron link work. Or am I just blind and cant find the thing I need lol

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Anyone have any working android links for the game because neither did the itch or patron link work. Or am I just blind and cant find the thing I need lol
Now the game is called The Martin Experiment.
Here is the Adroid version:

I will create a new development thread in a few days. This one is ancient already.