Daz Noise on renders

dalgas

May 24, 2020
Been testing for the first time with Daz Studio for a couple of days and I can't get rid of the noise on renders and I can't find any fix to it.

The only thing I can think of is not having a Nvidia GPU but as far as I know, it only makes the rendering take longer because it renders 100% on the cpu, anyway my specs are

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: AMD RX 5700

I have tested with two renders, one following a tutorial and other just dropping a model in a random background. the tutorial one came with a lot of render, and the random one came without that much noise except on the eyes, which made the thing look creepy as hell.
My rendering settings are as follow
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The tutorial render was made with 3 point light, diffused so there should not be any hard light points but it came out noisy as hell, with the same result both with the denoiser turned on and off. Both times it took around 50 minutes to render. Ignore the hair or whatever is clipping on her forehead. (Or what I guess is hair clipping)

And the random render, in 4k, took around 2ish hours to complete, this one is with the headlamp on the camera, done it just to test another light source while I was out. Much less noise overall but the eyes are out of this world, and maybe a couple pixels on the corners of her mouth and the shadow of the sign on the left

I don't know what to do or what to try... Any kind of input is appreciated.

NeoVlahos

Jun 17, 2017
ok first of all i don't know -shit- but the way i see this looks fine ok to me having said that i think you are caught between a rock and a hard place since you have to render everything with your CPU and you don't have an nvidia -sadly above 2060 is needed...- card so you can test the best denoisers ( Intel Open Image Denoiser,Nvidia AI Denoiser) out there try render everithg to a much higher resolution(like 8k) or port everything to blender also paint.net helps as much and photoshop can do wonders hope i helped keep rendering mate

Reactions: dalgas

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
As said by the previous poster, you're being held back hard by your GPU. AMD GPUs don't play well with Daz at all, which puts the work on your CPU (which isn't fantastic in and of itself. It's good, just not enough for this. Most never will be.). CPU renders are always going to be worse than a decent to high end GPU. A 1070 will even do far better at this point. Unfortunately, good luck getting anything at a decent price at the moment. Literally had a bidding war on my old 1660ti with a non-functioning fan sell at $500. I was selling it at $110.

Some things you can try to reduce noise is turning off the "Rendering Quality Enable" and turning the "Max Time (Secs)" down to 0. This will allow your render to keep going until it matches your iteration count (for lack of better word), which may clean up some of the noise depending on how long you want to wait. The post-denoiser itself is a pretty heated argument, and in some cases it can help for quicker renders, but I don't like how it affects the detail in hair. As for the eye on the last image, that may have something to do with Instance Optimization. Go to Render Settings > Optimization > Instance Optimization > Change to Speed or Memory. Outside of outright getting another GPU, you could play around with other external denoisers, as mentioned above.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
1617184998709.png
as a side note, these settings don't make much sense. as long as rendering quality is enabled and not touched it will overwrite the max samples (which is ridiculously high btw, usually you won't need more than 5k samples).
if you want to use rendering quality, set the converged ratio, rendering quality, and max time higher, otherwise it will always stop early.
if you don't want to use rendering quality (off) you only need to set max samples and max time.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Another side note, the post denoiser in Daz uses your GPU so it won't do anything for you.

dalgas

May 24, 2020
Thanks everyone for the answers. Sadly getting an Nvidia GPU is not a possibility because I'm short on cash and damn bitcoin is making them almost impossible to get, so I'm stuck on trying to render in 4k and learn to despeckle and downscale in Photoshop or GIMP to try and make them look nicer.

Tried to leave the same tutorial render on 8k overnight to downscale later, 13 hours later 94% completion...

Well, at least it's better than nothing

Thanos247

Devourer of Worlds
Donor
Jun 11, 2017
Literally had a bidding war on my old 1660ti with a non-functioning fan sell at $500. I was selling it at $110.
And to think last March I sold my old 2070 RTX for $200 when I was put on furlough. Fuck me, I should have waited.