Seeking (Non-ero) MMORPG

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
I'm looking for a new MMO to play, haven't really been active with this genre the last few years so no idea what's new. I have some unusual preferences though:

- must not be fast-paced. I live out in Bumfuck, Nowhere, so my internet has 600ms+ latency minimum. You might think that's unplayable for any real-time online game but life, uh, finds a way; I've been playing World of Warships with decent results for years now. As long as the game is not primarily action-focused. World of Warcraft and LOTRO are both playable in part because they have a lag-tolerance feature that allows actions to be queued up, to an extent. Some ms still get dropped, and I wouldn't play pvp or high-end pve this way, but yeah, most of the content is perfectly playable. More games like this would be welcome.

- must not be too hardware-intensive. No snazzy new release that wants an i7.

- ideally, there should be meaningful non-combat activities to do where the latency issue isn't really a handicap. EVE Online and Uncharted Waters Online are good examples.

- better yet, something turn-based. Not holding out much hope here, outside of Wakfu/Dofus.

Dushniy

Game Developer
Apr 5, 2021
Obviously FFXIV, but I am sure you already know about it.

There is a little forgotten gem I played a lot years ago - Atlantica Online.
It is a turn-based mmorpg fixated on upgrading not only your hero, but also your mercenaries for those turn-based encounters. I remember the fights being quite interesting and, dare I say, strategic.
I have no clue if the game is still running or what the current state of it is, but you might want to take a look.

SanaeS

Jun 22, 2018
FFXIV is now on its "golden age" and the great first storyline which took 10 years to finish was completed with last expansion 2 months ago, so it is a good time to join the party. (650+ hours here)
You can do a bunch of stuff and most of it isn't mandatory at all (leveling more classes on 1 character, crafting, golden saucher, chocobo races, triple triad, hardcore raids and MUCH more.)
Besides there is an active roleplay community and even a nsfw one, combined with an house and furniture system which can make you create inns,pubs, night clubs and anything else if you put enough effort on it makes the potential time spent on this game limitless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pretentious Goblin

SanaeS

Jun 22, 2018
I haven't tried it, I've heard it's faster-paced than WoW and the like. Since there seems to be a free trial, I may take a look.
The base game ARR(A Realm Reborn) isn't that good because the game was remade from scratch(long story), but when you'll get to Heavensward (first expansion, included in the free trial) you'll realize how good it actually is, and it gets better and better as you progress.