NTR vs Harem - What's the difference?

Deviton123

Dec 9, 2021
Personally, I believe harem is basically the same thing as NTR. Specifically the subtag netorase (wife sharing). Wouldn't harem technically be the same thing but the genders are reversed?

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020
That's a pretty imprecise statement, but technically, going by this site's definition of 3 LIs committing to 1 MC, a harem involves at least 3-fold netorase. In practice a lot of harem games have full intra-harem sharing so you could niggle and debate if that's really netorase, or maybe it's more netorase because then the MC is also sharing LIs. The bigger differences between the genres are in the genre-specific tropes.

Airell

Developer of Love and Corruption
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2017
Harem you have several girls loyal to you, while NTR you lose your harem to a rival. Don't do NTR, that's not cool.

Obscure

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2018
There is another problem here.

NTR is about why you suck and no one cares about you.
Harem is about why you are awesome and everyone is nice to you.

You have to include this into the math.

Deviton123

Dec 9, 2021
Ok but if it was a dude who had a girl that he was sharing with a bunch of other dudes but still slept with her too, he would be a pathetic cuck right? What would you call a girl who shares her boyfriend with other girls but also still sleeps with him?

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
my vision (which is the choice I always make when I want to start a game) the harem is a bit too "fake" (you go with a group of women and they "worship" you in an inexplicable way) while NTR is a bit like real life if you betray you risk sending your relationship down the drain ... (at least for the religious culture they taught us)
mine does not want to be in any way a racist discourse it is simply that the harem is more focused on the Muslim culture, while the consequences that the NTR has are more attributable to the Christian culture, that's why I say that one is more "fake" and the other is more "realistic"

zapzero

Jul 19, 2021
Ok but if it was a dude who had a girl that he was sharing with a bunch of other dudes but still slept with her too, he would be a pathetic cuck right? What would you call a girl who shares her boyfriend with other girls but also still sleeps with him?
Mormonism.

In a more serious note, cucks can be female too, they just add a "queen" behind to avoid getting deplatformed and use some historic bullshit to dress it up.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Personally, I believe harem is basically the same thing as NTR. Specifically the subtag netorase (wife sharing). Wouldn't harem technically be the same thing but the genders are reversed?
It's not the gender that is reversed. There's nothing saying that a girl can't have a harem ; except for few peoples with a stick stuck in their ass, that will argue that etymologically blablabla.
No, it's the point of view that change, or if you prefer the center of the story. In a harem game, the MC is the character that have more than one fuck buddy, while in NTR games the MC is one of those many fuck buddies.

Deviton123

Dec 9, 2021
It's not the gender that is reversed. There's nothing saying that a girl can't have a harem ; except for few peoples with a stick stuck in their ass, that will argue that etymologically blablabla.
No, it's the point of view that change, or if you prefer the center of the story. In a harem game, the MC is the character that have more than one fuck buddy, while in NTR games the MC is one of those many fuck buddies.
When I made this post I didn't really self insert myself as the MC. I was thinking more like an obeserver watching events take place. I don't really think it's fair that a harem can be considered "wholesome" when netorase is considered cancer. Both sound like it shouldn't be wholesome to be honest (maybe it's the way I was raised, idk). Then again harems portrayed as more light hearted, whereas netorase is more demeaning. If you switch the dialogue for both, I think they would look like the same thing.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
When I made this post I didn't really self insert myself as the MC. I was thinking more like an obeserver watching events take place.
What change absolutely nothing to what I said. Whatever if you self insert yourself or not, the main character, as well as the center of the story, stay the same.
But, if really it bother you, there's a second main difference, the willingness of the fuck buddies. In a harem all of them know and agree to share, something that, by definition, isn't present in NTR.

I don't really think it's fair that a harem can be considered "wholesome" when netorase is considered cancer.
Oh brave knight in a shinny armor, putting some common sense in the head of NTR haters is a quest that none, not even Sir Galahad, would succeed at.

Then again harems portrayed as more light hearted, whereas netorase is more demeaning.
Netorase is not demeaning, it's netorare that is. And on this site the "NTR" tag only cover netorare ; netorase stories will be found behind the "sharing" and/or "cuck" tags.

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020
You'd call her a cuckquean, or cuckqueen if you can't spell very well, or sometimes just a cuck. About "he would be a pathetic cuck", that's a traditionalist societal view about masculinity so it's basically one of many opinions.

zuulan

Oct 12, 2020
Well there is quite bit difference between Harem and MC fucking around. Harem is the situation where woman accept that they share a man and MC is open with them. But just fucking around and have multiple LI are not Harem. NTR i dont know excactly, but i make difference there is shareing a LI acceptable and knowledgeable decision. Or you got cucked and have no say on it.

Deviton123

Dec 9, 2021
Well there is quite bit difference between Harem and MC fucking around. Harem is the situation where woman accept that they share a man and MC is open with them. But just fucking around and have multiple LI are not Harem. NTR i dont know excactly, but i make difference there is shareing a LI acceptable and knowledgeable decision. Or you got cucked and have no say on it.
From what I understand, in netorase (wife sharing) it's when a man lets his wife sleep with other people and not only accepts but encourages her to do so. I don't know if he also sleeps with her along with the other men, but harem sounds like the same thing but everything is sunshine and rainbows.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Harem is Chad, NTR is Cuck.
Harem is Holy (Approved by some religions), NTR is Satanic.
Harem is a widely accepted game format, NTR is immoral and not suitable for this bible study group.
Harem is used in many titles and anime genres therefore it gets your game more clicks, NTR is an actor in India I think.
Harem makes you remember about Harlem Shake (Funny and Nostalgic), NTR is depressing what are you emo or something?

I could go on and on...

Deviton123

Dec 9, 2021
You'd call her a cuckquean, or cuckqueen if you can't spell very well, or sometimes just a cuck. About "he would be a pathetic cuck", that's a traditionalist societal view about masculinity so it's basically one of many opinions.
Im not sure whether it says anything about masculinity or not, but I personally wouldn't have my girl sleeping around with other men. Because I don't like to be a hypocrite, I wouldn't sleep around with other women either. Harem as long as it's purely for the purposes of sex and no declarations of love from the MC (I get distracted the moment I think: "No you don't") is okay by me.

Reactions: Nelari

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020
Im not sure whether it says anything about masculinity or not, but I personally wouldn't have my girl sleeping around with other men. Because I don't like to be a hypocrite, I wouldn't sleep around with other women either. Harem as long as it's purely for the purposes of sex and no declarations of love from the MC (I get distracted the moment I think: "No you don't") is okay by me.
Nothing wrong with consistency and equality in relationships, it's a good thing if it's not taken to fundamentalist extremes. But I think it's too much to call someone "pathetic" for something that's just seriously not my thing and doesn't harm me, that's especially the case when it's just fiction.

Sorta agree with what you said about harems, though I think the issue is really with "one true love" or an LI's premature declaration that the MC will be the only one ever and ever. It's often better if stories can hold a little subtlety.

Reactions: Nelari