Nub Octane & Daz3d User - Fireflies + Skydome?

boredomj

Jul 27, 2017
Hi all,

I've been using Daz3d for a while and turned to using Octane instead of Iray (because I'm finding its working a looot faster) but i've run into a few snags.

1. When setting up environment scenes i'm getting fireflies (White dots) creating simple light sources in the 'Materials' tab of Octane. I'm tweaking the 'Hot Pixel removal' setting anywhere between 0.5 and 0.9 and setting the rendering to 'PMC'. I can remove the Fireflies to a certain extent but it makes the image quality quite tacky and blurry around the lights.

(I'm using Daz3d 4.11 Pro (Beta))

Below is the un-tweaked image:
fireflies-untweaked-focus.jpg

Below is what I'm getting with the settings tweaked:

firefiles.jpg

I'm asking for any tips to either completely remove the fireflies or increase the quality of the render?

2. In IRay it's relatively straight forward to get a Skydome/HDRI working however I'm not having much luck with Octane. Aside from using the 'Default Daylight environment' setting under 'Environment' I'm not sure how to apply an image as the sky texture? I've tried setting the 'Sky Color' and 'Sunset Color' to RGB Image and then my image but I'm not seeing anything?

Thanks for any advice!

Edit: Actually both of the images don't look that great at 500 p/s instead of 5000.

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
A common answer I have seen is for people to render larger and then scale the image down with the hope of smoothening and removing the fireflies.