Daz Nvidia Iray and AMD - Need rendering help and tricks

ulala0077

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2018
Hey guys, I am trying to develop a game, but the problem I am facing is massive rendering time. I know there have been plenty of threads thanks to you guys on tips and tricks for speeding up rendering in Daz studio. But my problem is, my laptop has am AMD card, I won't go into the Nvidia vs AMD, debate, the truth is the laptop is what I could afford at that time.

My laptop specs are - 8GB RAM
4GB - AMD Radeon Graphics

As you can see in attached file, even simplest of render is taking me about an hour or plus. I would be thankful for any assistance you will provide.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Nottravis

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Hey guys, I am trying to develop a game, but the problem I am facing is massive rendering time. I know there have been plenty of threads thanks to you guys on tips and tricks for speeding up rendering in Daz studio. But my problem is, my laptop has am AMD card, I won't go into the Nvidia vs AMD, debate, the truth is the laptop is what I could afford at that time.

As you can see in attached file, even simplest of render is taking me about an hour or plus. I would be thankful for any assistance you will provide.

Others more experienced than me will be able to give you better tips I suspect but given that my aren't, I don't think, massively different to yours I'll offer what little I know in respect of how I've done it.

Putting aside the whole "getting the size to fit into the memory thing" - which is hugely important using Iray else it will flip to the CPU as opposed to GPU and take even longer (certainly using Nvidia, your mileage may vary)- the things I've found made a huge difference in time was:

• Hair. Some hairs are incredibly complex and contain tons of layers/details. OOT makes some super hair but because his assets are so complex they can take an age to render as opposed to some more straight forward ones. The same can apply to other assets as well but hair is often the guiltiest party. There is a product called scene optimiser that allows you to tweak how complex assets and so might be worth a look. Even if you only use it to identify which assets are being a bitch it could help.
  • Lighting. God, lighting.... Not only is it the key to good renders but it also can impact on how quickly scenes are done. Daz likes light. Lots of light. The more the better I've found. So if you can avoid dark scenes you'll produce them quicker.
  • Not mixing 3d delight assets with Iray assets. If you are using Iray as your base check that you've re-shadered any old assets (especially settings) so that they're not 3d delight. Again, I've found this helps.
  • Size of the image. 1920x1080 is the standard these days but think do you really need that? If you can reduce it to 1280x720 it will save a ton of time.

Finally....

• A lot of people suggest rendering at 3840x2160 for just 500 iterations and then shrink the image down. I confess when I tried it I didn't notice a lot of difference but again, your mileage may vary.
As I say no doubt others will have better advice but you never know, some of that may be useful :)

Good luck.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017

Hi problem si that AMD card. Iray not working with AMD cards. So all render is done by your CPU and that is really slow and in many cases unstable ( render can crash in midle) Sorry to say it but there is nobetter tip than bough anything with nvidia or change software. But if you are beginer, there is unfortnatelly nothing more easy to learn than daz.

Last thing can be external GPU for your laptop, but again it is about buying new stuff and money spended for it.

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
In Daz Studio, you can also render using 3Delight, which is much faster for CPU rendering. It's an option somewhere in the render settings.
Great, right? Well, there are some BIG caveats to be aware of.
1. 3Delight uses a completely different setup for lights, materials, shaders and textures. Make sure your assets are set up for 3Delight, or the results will be pretty terrible. There are converters, like to turn iRay assets into 3Delight assets, but results will vary. An asset that was made for 3Delight from the start is usually better, but those are becoming less common for new products.
2. 3Delight is a different type of renderer, and the results you get will be noticably different from what you'd get with iRay. Some things will be pretty easy to do in iRay but are nearly impossible in 3Delight, and viceversa. It will take quite a bit of practice to get awesome looking renders out of 3Delight. It's definitely possible, but be prepared for your first renders to look rather "bland".

Until a few months ago, I was more or less in the same boat you are (I also had an AMD graphics card then). A decent size iRay render would easily take 7 hours to complete, 24+ hours for the more complex ones. Which made it really easy then for me to decide not to bother with developing any game, and just have fun making the occasional render for a background on my mobile. Spend an hour or 2 setting up a scene, including some 14% convergence test renders, and when satisfied with the direction it took, leave it rendering over night, hoping the render would be finished when I woke up next morning.

So, no long rendered stories, no games. But, it did give some invaluable practice for setting up scenes (which will always be an ongoing process) and looking through scenes before hitting that render button to weed out as many faults as possible (fingers clipping into surfaces, getting the camera angle just right so objects don't obscure eachother or break the flow of eachothers' shapes, making sure to set convergence rate to 99.5% instead of the default 95%). It really doesn't hurt to practice for a long while before stepping into the game developing business.

If you really want, you could ofcourse already start on writing some game, write a script, do all the coding, use place-holder images. By the time you get a better rig, even if it takes a year or two, you'll have a very welcome headstart in development, by already having the complicating bits sorted out, with only the renders left to be done. Many developers would envy you for "only have to add the imagery".

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
As Dripping mentioned, you could switch to using 3Delight. Aside from being "completely different," one of the drawbacks to 3DL is that many of the newer assets coming out for DS don't have 3DL materials - only iRay - and converting takes some work. (Although there are now scripts that apparently do a decent job.)

Another option that Daz Studio has is the OpenGL renderer. Most people don't know about it, but that's what DS uses in the viewport, and can be selected as the renderer for your images. As with 3DL, you won't get the same kind of quality (if, by "quality" you mean "close to photographic") that you'd get with iRay, but it's FAST. I use it a lot when I'm debugging animations, because it can bang out scenes in seconds. Again, however, some assets can look "off" with this renderer, because OpenGL doesn't deal with materials in the same way. In particular, transparency can be an issue.

A final possibility is to abandon using Daz Studio and switch to something else - although I don't have experience with it, many game developers are using Honey Select, which supposedly works better on non-NVidia-equipped hardware than DS.

Reactions: ulala0077

ulala0077

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2018
Thanks a lot for your valuable input guys. I will try everything you guys recommended and will also start paying more attention to screen writing and putting image placeholders. Thanks a lot! You guys are the best.

Reactions: Nottravis