Daz Odd shadow in DAZ depending on view angle

Anasurimbor

Aug 9, 2016
Hello,

I started playing around a bit with DAZ. On rendering this odd shadow on the back of the stockings appears when I have the whole model in the viewport.
If I only focus the viewport on the legs, those shadows are gone. Why is that?

I would also be happy if someone could tell me how this phenomenon is called so I could search for it better.

Last edited:

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
shadow terminator?

Try increasing the SubD, better lights or just pick a camera angle where the problem is less visible.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
people always forget to put a spotlight behind their characters that's why you get that shadow

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I would also be happy if someone could tell me how this phenomenon is called so I could search for it better.
Also, when you create a spotlight in Daz Studio, it defaults to a "point light", which is a light of infinitesimal size - something that never happens in nature. Those kinds of lights will throw very hard-edged shadows, again, not like real life. When you create a spotlight, always change the type to some other shape. (I usually use rectangular.) The larger the size of the light, the more gradual any shadow edges caused by it will be.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Also, do you have the light attached to the camera turned on? That's usually a bad thing.

Anasurimbor

Aug 9, 2016
Thanks for all the replys!

I actually changed the stockings prop and it didn't happen anymore. But I did used all your advice for a better light and camera setup.