Ok, which one of you wrote the script for Bandersnatch?

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Just watched this and was chuckling at the seemingly mundane choices presented to us. Would you like to eat Sugarpuffs or Frosted Flakes for breakfast? Which song do you want to listen to?

Excellent idea, not thrilled by the execution.

D

Deleted member 819466

Really, @Domiek ? I thought the middle was exceptionally well executed from the scenes with Collin and when he starts having awareness. I thought it was a great little piece on the conspiracy of 'reality' actually being a simulation.

But, yes, I did also get major adult visual novel vibes from it too.... so well done on posting this.

Reactions: DrackDrap

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Really, @Domiek ? I thought the middle was exceptionally well executed from the scenes with Collin and when he starts having awareness. I thought it was a great little piece on the conspiracy of 'reality' actually being a simulation.

But, yes, I did also get major adult visual novel vibes from it too.... so well done on posting this.
I didn't want to get too into details for sake of spoilers but yes the middle part with Colin was interesting. Which is why I say that it's an excellent idea. The execution in my opinion was poor. Just overall I found it amusing that we got to choose which cereal he eats, which songs he plays, or how some choices had little to no context so you weren't even sure what the direction of that choice is ahead of time. Similar to a lot of the VN's here where one choice is the "correct" one, yet we have little information to go off of.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
Just watched this and was chuckling at the seemingly mundane choices presented to us. Would you like to eat Sugarpuffs or Frosted Flakes for breakfast? Which song do you want to listen to?

Excellent idea, not thrilled by the execution.
Ah, I was wondering how well it was received after reading the following article:

Wired: " " (Dec. 28, '18)

FYI, "Bandersnatch" was originally written in Twine. :D

Reactions: MrBree

W65

May 31, 2018
Ah, I was wondering how well it was received after reading the following article:

Wired: "How the Surprise New Interactive Black Mirror Came Together" (Dec. 28, '18)

FYI, "Bandersnatch" was originally written in Twine. :D
Thanks for the link. This thread benefits from the added context.

Unless it was some deliberate stylistic choice, trying to make some statement about the meaninglessness of choice in the context of whatever the show's about, I'm guessing it was just that the creators are bad about knowing how to use choices to make the interactive experience more fulfilling. Maybe that was the point, but I dunno. I figure the meaningless or bizarre choices in adult VNs happen for the same reason: the interactivity is there more because the dev feels like there should be some interactivity right about then, than being there to offer some meaningful branching of the story or some gameplay purpose.

I dunno. It seems like a silly gimmick. Then again, I don't watch the show (or any, really) and it didn't sound like the kind of thing I'd enjoy, anyhow.