On the plague of shoddily programmed renpy games

Deleted member 900601

Sep 21, 2018
This is something I've been seeing more and more as people try to make overlays with mouse hovering.

For some reasons, a lot of devs recently have taken to the habit of redrawing the entire screen whenever the mouse move, while also having a constant refresh rate of 60hz. There is absolutely no need to do full redraw calls if you've already got constant refresh rate and much less redrawing on mouse movement which make the game jump to 1200+ FPS.

I am not sure if many devs are basing themselves off the same bad code, but if you got constant refresh rate just let it do its job, if you really need to do redraw on hovering, set it as a condition (if before != now -> redraw).

I'd say about 50% of renpy games I am trying these days have this problem, maybe it's because 50% of games try to have some overlay and shit.

This is my RX 580's GPU usage when I move the mouse inside of those badly programmed ren'py game. Goes from 4-5% to 80% just from moving the mouse, which is accompanied by coilwhine ('cause like 2000 FPS) and the voltage going up down up down up down.
1642254797422.png