open .py in linux.

jaytee01

Sep 29, 2017
Hi All,
I am trying to open a .py in Mint (screen shot attached) any help would be appreciated. Screenshot at 2019-08-02 11-59-32.png

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
If you're trying to play the game, make the .sh executable (if it isn't already like that) and launch it.

From GUI:
- right-click on PineFalls.sh » Properties » Permissions » check the Execute box (or something like that)
- to start the game, just double-click PineFalls.sh

From console:
Code:
cd ~/games/PineFalls-0.5-pc
chmod u+x ./PineFalls.sh
./PineFalls.sh
Alternative solution: install Wine (stable or devel) and double click PineFalls.exe :p

jaytee01

Sep 29, 2017
That is what I do normally but sometimes the .sh does not work so thought there may be a way to open in python.
chmod u+x ./PineFalls.sh
./PineFalls.sh

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
If you want to launch a "Python 2" file, you usually do:
Code:
python ./PineFalls.py
but I don't think it can work in this case, because Mint lacks some Python libraries that are shipped with the game (they are inside the "lib" folder).

Just execute the .sh in the console, read the errors, see also what log.txt and traceback.txt say.

jaytee01

Sep 29, 2017
Hi,
I did what you said but still could not open the .sh int
a terminal so downloaded Wine and that works fine for me The game I had the problem with is Devious discoveries. Thanks for the help...

chmod u+x ./PineFalls.sh
./PineFalls.sh
If you want to launch a "Python 2" file, you usually do:
Code:
python ./PineFalls.py
but I don't think it can work in this case, because Mint lacks some Python libraries that are shipped with the game (they are inside the "lib" folder).

Just execute the .sh in the console, read the errors, see also what log.txt and traceback.txt say.