VN Ren'Py Opinion about choices in games

DrAbrezio

Oct 4, 2017
Hello Everyone!
My name is DrAbrezio and I'm in the midst of creating a VN. It's titled "Edge of Time" and I'm almost done with chapter 1. Now before I start with Chapter 2, I would like to know if you guys would like choices in the game, knowing that it may affect the sense of emergency that my story has in it. So, please do share your opinion on this. Would you prefer choices or a more linear albeit better story?

4 Anon

Jan 13, 2020
I've seen some strong dislike for "kinetic novels" around here.
As long as I'm not forced to do more than one playthrough to see or unlock everything I don't care as I tend to use walkthrough mods anyways.

Good luck with your game!

Reactions: DrAbrezio

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
It is only you as the creator that should know what works best for your game.

Some players look for more choices and interactions while others look for kinetic experiences with minimal choice.

Reactions: DrAbrezio

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
I find that choices in most video games mean nothing.
The key is to make them feel like the mean something.

For example: Dragon age origin has the same story every time.
But playing a mage and an elf gets me remarks or unique dialog option from time to time.
This options doesnt in anyway effect they story at large and at best let you skip a minnor thing like a door or persuastion roll.
But it makes the game feel more immersive as my choice class and race is noticed.

Where is dragon age 2 and 3 i was fighting the dialog wheel.
I picked what sounded like a polite answer made my character acts like a compleet douch.
That kills immersion real fast.
Both games have the story be 90% the same with only minnor alterations based on your choice.
Those are good choices.
The kind that makes your character feel yours.

Bad choices are stuff like game overs for not picking what the dev wants or requiring you to say x to npc y in chapter z that you would never know without a guide.

The best story games never made me ask: Why isnt he saying obvious answer.
Bad wants made me go:
Where are the sane answers.

If your gonna add dialog choices ask yourself this:
How does the answer change the outcome.
Because if it doesnt change anything its a pointless choice to add.

obibobi

May 10, 2017
This is what I came here to say as well, for games like these, meaningful choices are understandably unrealistic for most devs. Being a Dik does it but even then they need to have the core of the story remain the same otherwise updates would take years. Most games that try it end up half baked.

The best way to do it is with the illusion of choice, or just have some point system where 99% of the story is the same and you have a handful of different endings, The Visit being a good example of that.

DrAbrezio

Oct 4, 2017
Thank you so much for all your answers guys! Really helps me decide on a few things. Although Chapter 1 is a little kinetic, I think I can add a little more flavor in the proceeding chapters!

DrAbrezio

Oct 4, 2017
I've seen some strong dislike for "kinetic novels" around here.
As long as I'm not forced to do more than one playthrough to see or unlock everything I don't care as I tend to use walkthrough mods anyways.

Good luck with your game!
Thank you good Sir!

It is only you as the creator that should know what works best for your game.

Some players look for more choices and interactions while others look for kinetic experiences with minimal choice.
Yeah, starting to realize it's more of a personal choice. Thank you!

For example: Dragon age origin has the same story every time.
But playing a mage and an elf gets me remarks or unique dialog option from time to time.
This options doesnt in anyway effect they story at large and at best let you skip a minnor thing like a door or persuastion roll.
But it makes the game feel more immersive as my choice class and race is noticed.

Where is dragon age 2 and 3 i was fighting the dialog wheel.
I picked what sounded like a polite answer made my character acts like a compleet douch.
That kills immersion real fast.
Both games have the story be 90% the same with only minnor alterations based on your choice.
Those are good choices.
The kind that makes your character feel yours.

Bad choices are stuff like game overs for not picking what the dev wants or requiring you to say x to npc y in chapter z that you would never know without a guide.

The best story games never made me ask: Why isnt he saying obvious answer.
Bad wants made me go:
Where are the sane answers.

If your gonna add dialog choices ask yourself this:
How does the answer change the outcome.
Because if it doesnt change anything its a pointless choice to add.
Wow, that really gave me a lot of insight. Thank you so much!

This is what I came here to say as well, for games like these, meaningful choices are understandably unrealistic for most devs. Being a Dik does it but even then they need to have the core of the story remain the same otherwise updates would take years. Most games that try it end up half baked.

The best way to do it is with the illusion of choice, or just have some point system where 99% of the story is the same and you have a handful of different endings, The Visit being a good example of that.
The time to create is one of the reasons I wasn't too into adding different routes. But I think I can add a little flavor of choice here and there.

I like choices. Even if the story itself doesn't change, I appreciate having choices just for flavor. It makes it all a little bit more engaging.
That actually gives me a great idea!

Reactions: MoeMoeGames