Opinion on my Intro Screen Image?

IllRepute

Jan 16, 2021
Hello,

I am releasing my new 0.1 version of a Kinetic Novel soon. I am keeping my fingers crossed and shooting for the end of this month. Today I would like your opinion on the Intro image. My main concern is the text itself and that it is readable to you all. But any other constructive criticism is welcome.

The text is supposed to look like television SNOW (Noise).

Is it too hard to read?
Any significant flaws I am overlooking?
Does it look like TV noise?

Thanks for your time and input!

Audience_Intro_Test.png

NoseBleeds

Apr 22, 2022
It would help to know what kind of general tone or vibe you're going for, as well as some clarification on what you mean by "intro image". Will this be used as cover art to a download page, a banner for F95, the main menu (if so, where would you put your buttons?) or splash art before the main menu?

That being said, my initial reaction was that this is for some kind 70s or 80s game show with an eerie twist. The way the characters are standing straight with a neutral face makes it seem like something darker is going on behind the scenes.

To me, it doesn't look like TV static noise. Static is usually black, white and grey. If you meant the colour bars that used to appear when losing signal, then that would be closer, but I still wouldn't catch it if you hadn't told me. A quick google search has shown me that coloured pixelated static like the one you have does in fact exist, I have just personally never seen nor experienced it myself. I think a different font would help in conveying the idea of static noise or loss of signal.

I would add more, but I would need more info on what you're going for.

P.S. it also seems like the top of the ponytail has been cut off on the girl on the left.

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
Last i checked tv static doesnt have color in it.
Granted i havent watch tv in 10 years.
Games are superior in every way.

My thoughts when i saw this:
Why are those woman all staring blankly forward.
Is this a mind control game.
Is the third girl on the left a loli?
Why is her hair grey?
Why does the girl in the yellow clothing have orc fangs?

The name would draw my attention as it sound like a tv station management game but i would prepare myself for dispointment.

IllRepute

Jan 16, 2021
It would help to know what kind of general tone or vibe you're going for, as well as some clarification on what you mean by "intro image". Will this be used as cover art to a download page, a banner for F95, the main menu (if so, where would you put your buttons?) or splash art before the main menu?

That being said, my initial reaction was that this is for some kind 70s or 80s game show with an eerie twist. The way the characters are standing straight with a neutral face makes it seem like something darker is going on behind the scenes.

To me, it doesn't look like TV static noise. Static is usually black, white and grey. If you meant the colour bars that used to appear when losing signal, then that would be closer, but I still wouldn't catch it if you hadn't told me. A quick google search has shown me that coloured pixelated static like the one you have does in fact exist, I have just personally never seen nor experienced it myself. I think a different font would help in conveying the idea of static noise or loss of signal.

I would add more, but I would need more info on what you're going for.

P.S. it also seems like the top of the ponytail has been cut off on the girl on the left.
I knew I needed another set of eyes (or ten). Thank you!

IllRepute

Jan 16, 2021
Last i checked tv static doesnt have color in it.
Granted i havent watch tv in 10 years.
Games are superior in every way.

My thoughts when i saw this:
Why are those woman all staring blankly forward.
Is this a mind control game.
Is the third girl on the left a loli?
Why is her hair grey?
Why does the girl in the yellow clothing have orc fangs?

The name would draw my attention as it sound like a tv station management game but i would prepare myself for dispointment.
It does kind of look like fangs, doesn't it? It must be the way the lighting reflects off her lips. (Glossy!)

Thank you.

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018
TV SNOW was black and white, and shifted creating the illusion of falling snow. Hence the name.

The hair colors all look dull. I think highlights could help, but I know nothing about hair or 3d renders so take that advice with a grain of salt.

It is odd that they're lined up and blankly staring forward. Usually characters are looking at the player in these types of things, preferably while doing something that helps display their personality. Although I do appreciate the variety of body types on display.

shabadu

Jun 5, 2020
Like what NoseBleeds said, it's hard to say if you hit the mark without knowing what kind of vibe you're going for. That said, I'm getting mostly the same impression; it's some kind of TV-based thing, possibly a reality show competition between the two sides, but with the forward stares I also get the sense that something odd is going on. The word "audience" makes me think there will be an element of exhibitionism.

You specifically asked about the title, though, so with that I think the font and noise are a little too messy. The black outline with the high brightness body, sitting on top of an already bright gradient background, comes across as muddled. I was a little bored, so I did a quickie edit to show how it might look differently.

audience_static_quickie.jpg

At the same time, I would consider choosing more muted and dark colors for the gradient. IMO you should be trying to emphasize the characters, but having such a bright background kind of crushes the contrast and makes seemingly random areas the focus, especially with the different skin tones, hair colors, and outfits.

Small note: the first woman to the right of the center one, you cut some of her hair off. Not too big of a deal, and I didn't even realize it until I was zooming in while editing it.

Reactions: IllRepute

IllRepute

Jan 16, 2021
Like what NoseBleeds said, it's hard to say if you hit the mark without knowing what kind of vibe you're going for. That said, I'm getting mostly the same impression; it's some kind of TV-based thing, possibly a reality show competition between the two sides, but with the forward stares I also get the sense that something odd is going on. The word "audience" makes me think there will be an element of exhibitionism.

You specifically asked about the title, though, so with that I think the font and noise are a little too messy. The black outline with the high brightness body, sitting on top of an already bright gradient background, comes across as muddled. I was a little bored, so I did a quickie edit to show how it might look differently.

View attachment 1818622

At the same time, I would consider choosing more muted and dark colors for the gradient. IMO you should be trying to emphasize the characters, but having such a bright background kind of crushes the contrast and makes seemingly random areas the focus, especially with the different skin tones, hair colors, and outfits.

Small note: the first woman to the right of the center one, you cut some of her hair off. Not too big of a deal, and I didn't even realize it until I was zooming in while editing it.
Mine does look rather busy, and although I love the font (Personal aesthetic), it makes the title hard to read. I do love the way you made the static in your font. Thank you for taking the time to answer and for the extra effort to create an excellent example.

I will think on it.

The below image was my original concept, but still, it is way too busy in the background and the blue and red don't help.

Reactions: shabadu

IllRepute

Jan 16, 2021
TV SNOW was black and white, and shifted creating the illusion of falling snow. Hence the name.

The hair colors all look dull. I think highlights could help, but I know nothing about hair or 3d renders so take that advice with a grain of salt.

It is odd that they're lined up and blankly staring forward. Usually characters are looking at the player in these types of things, preferably while doing something that helps display their personality. Although I do appreciate the variety of body types on display.
Thank you. I will think on it over the weekend. I'm sure I can make it more interesting than blank stares.