Opinion On Using Stock Photos

Does Your Opinion Of A Game Go Down If It Uses Stock Photos?

• No, my opinion does not go down.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Yes, my opinion goes down just a little bit.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, my opinion goes down somewhat.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Yes, my opinion goes down a lot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I could never enjoy a game that uses stock photos.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

PRAECESSOR

Aug 4, 2017
So, I've got a problem. I'm working on a currently unreleased visual novel-type game with over 100 locations. Each location needs its own background image, but the artist has next to no experience drawing environments and is going to be busy drawing character sprites. We were thinking of using filtered stock images in the beginning, and then commissioning an environmental artist to slowly add in drawn art to replace them once the project has gained some popularity.

The only problem is that the game has to be popular first.

So my question is this: If you discover a game for the first time, does your opinion of it go down if you learn that it's using stock photos? Of so, by how much?

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
What is "stock photos"? I googled it but I found different things that doesn't seem to match here.

According to the OP, if a stock photo is something like using real background images while placing drawn sprites ahead, then yes, I do mind it and I don't like it that much. I wouldn't automatically ignore that game but it'll probably go to my "to play later" list when there are more than 200 games already. It's not the worst thing either. I would remember that game everytime it gets updated. It just wouldn't become a "priority" to play if I'm not already hooked.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
What is "stock photos"? I googled it but I found different things that doesn't seem to match here.

According to the OP, if a stock photo is something like using real background images while placing drawn sprites ahead, then yes, I do mind it and I don't like it that much. I wouldn't automatically ignore that game but it'll probably go to my "to play later" list when there are more than 200 games already. It's not the worst thing either. I would remember that game everytime it gets updated. It just wouldn't become a "priority" to play if I'm not already hooked.

This is probably the largest stock photo maker. You can infer what they are from it.