Option to choose male/female at the beginning of games

Axer Hell

Apr 26, 2017
So there are many female prot games that I would like to try for the aesthetic characters and the potentially great settings, which our amazing authors get to anyway but I do not play them because I do not like playing as the female prot. Maybe 1/2 times out of 80 I might feel like on some days but I don't think I'd be able to get far.

So, in this regard, I have some suggestions for the game creators, would it be possible to introduce an option to choose between male and female characters at the beginning of the game and lock out content that would be difficult to modify.

Just realized this could take a lot of content to be rendered for each, possibly all animations and sex scenes :D

But how viable would this be?

Would it take too much effort?

Would you like to see this option?

Cheers! :D

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Personally I don't recommend putting in the option unless game developers are willing to make an interesting story on top of all that additional artwork. Games really only give a finite amount of choices anyways. No point making a game as wide as an ocean yet shallow as a puddle right? Viable? Definitely but a pain in the ass. Too much effort? You bet. Would I like to see this option? I don't really care for this mechanic myself because I don't care who I play as and it can require a lot more work on the developers part impacting the parts of the game that matter a lot more imo though its a nice addition if implemented right.

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
The main thing is if it is worth it to sacrifice the time and effort to make a choice available. Having a say in who the protagonist is will in general either decrease the quality of the game or it will simply take a lot longer to develop it. Most people prefer to play as one type of protagonist and many including myself might skip a game entirely if that is not an option. The best games are the games that the developers actually want to make and not the games that includes everyone. If you have an idea run with it. ;)

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Here's the TL,DR: To make the experience truly unique, this is basically doubling the work. Otherwise it makes things super generic.

Let me start with the story aspect of this then I'll get into the technical aspect. Most game devs have a story in mind for their game and that story is about a particular character be they male or female. Now the more generic the story the more generic the character can be. If the character's gender doesn't play a large role in the story, you can swap it out potentially. The famous example of this in film is Ripley from Alien was intended to be a male role, but Sigourney Weaver won them over. However, I'm guessing that once the decision was made to make Ripley a woman, certain aspects were likely altered.

You would have to write the whole game assuming that the MC is both male and female meaning you can't rely to heavily on that element for story reasons. For example, let's say you have a scene in mind for a bathroom or locker room. That scene takes on a very different context if the MC is male or female as bathrooms and locker rooms are segregated by gender. Seeing another character nude or changing clothes also takes on a very different context based on gender. To avoid having to make two completely different games, you would need scenarios that sort of fit either, which is rather limiting.

Outside of the main character, you could have all the potential conquests be gay or straight as needed by the protagonist, but that fundamentally alters some aspects on those characters. Writing a character as straight or gay is more involved that just who they like to have sex with imo. I guess you could split the difference and make everyone bi, but that's also a bit weird. The easiest way, again, would be to avoid even factoring sexual orientations into the story other than they might like the MC, which makes things more generic.

Now the technical aspects of this. Is it worth the extra effort? Not usually. This probably works best with games using 2D art as the art can often be handled in layers. You'll see the option to change hair/clothes/etc. in 2D games more often because they just display the appropriate sprite layered into the scene accordingly. This can also work in true 3D games like Unity engine where the rendering is done in real-time so the protag is drawn in every scene anyway. In a game that uses static 3D renders, like a lot of the games on here, this means a lot of extra render time.

Speaking to 3D rendered games here. To limit the amount of double rendering, you'd probably make the whole game first person without showing the main character, even their arms. You'd have to make unique sex scenes for both genders because you can't avoid having the MC in those. You could do that style where characters just float in front of a background or you just show their head in dialogues to include the MC more often, but that's less immersive imo. I feel like this would make the MC seem disconnected from the story. They would just be a floating head essentially.

Now if I was dead set on making a game where you could play either gender, I would make the game about those two people getting together. Meaning you could play the game from the guy's perspective or from the girl's perspective. This would let you reuse a lot of work without it seeming weird, because it's the same situation, but from the other person's side of it. So all the sex scenes can involve those two people and they don't need to be done twice. If the game is about their relationship, then most of the dialogue will involve the two of them, so again you can reuse it. You'd probably have a few parts where they do things alone that would be unique to the character being played, but it would limit the amount of extra work needed.

All in all, I don't think this is a viable options for the types of games being made on this site (mostly). If the game was truly unique based on the character being played then you are talking about almost double the work to make one game. You might as well just make two games at that point, realistically. You could have the games be related, in the same universe, using the same characters, but with a different MC. The alternative is a very generic game that is a one-size-fits-all scenario to keep extra work to a minimum. If you are bothering to make a game where you can be either gender, but being either gender doesn't really matter, then what was the point?

215303j

Check out Bright Sun's Card Adventure:

You can choose Male, Female or even Futa as MC. :cool:

And the combat system rocks, once you get the hang of it!

kimoo

Jun 6, 2017
i only play male protagonist games
because female protagonist games is sucks (why should i play with a girl )
it's not action/adventure game like (Lara craft)
it's adult game so i want to be the man in the game not the girl

simple thing most of the developers don't understand but let's not forget that there are people who want female prota so let's keep every one happy

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Here's the TL,DR: To make the experience truly unique, this is basically doubling the work. Otherwise it makes things super generic.

Let me start with the story aspect of this then I'll get into the technical aspect. Most game devs have a story in mind for their game and that story is about a particular character be they male or female. Now the more generic the story the more generic the character can be. If the character's gender doesn't play a large role in the story, you can swap it out potentially. The famous example of this in film is Ripley from Alien was intended to be a male role, but Sigourney Weaver won them over. However, I'm guessing that once the decision was made to make Ripley a woman, certain aspects were likely altered.

You would have to write the whole game assuming that the MC is both male and female meaning you can't rely to heavily on that element for story reasons. For example, let's say you have a scene in mind for a bathroom or locker room. That scene takes on a very different context if the MC is male or female as bathrooms and locker rooms are segregated by gender. Seeing another character nude or changing clothes also takes on a very different context based on gender. To avoid having to make two completely different games, you would need scenarios that sort of fit either, which is rather limiting.

Outside of the main character, you could have all the potential conquests be gay or straight as needed by the protagonist, but that fundamentally alters some aspects on those characters. Writing a character as straight or gay is more involved that just who they like to have sex with imo. I guess you could split the difference and make everyone bi, but that's also a bit weird. The easiest way, again, would be to avoid even factoring sexual orientations into the story other than they might like the MC, which makes things more generic.

Now the technical aspects of this. Is it worth the extra effort? Not usually. This probably works best with games using 2D art as the art can often be handled in layers. You'll see the option to change hair/clothes/etc. in 2D games more often because they just display the appropriate sprite layered into the scene accordingly. This can also work in true 3D games like Unity engine where the rendering is done in real-time so the protag is drawn in every scene anyway. In a game that uses static 3D renders, like a lot of the games on here, this means a lot of extra render time.

Speaking to 3D rendered games here. To limit the amount of double rendering, you'd probably make the whole game first person without showing the main character, even their arms. You'd have to make unique sex scenes for both genders because you can't avoid having the MC in those. You could do that style where characters just float in front of a background or you just show their head in dialogues to include the MC more often, but that's less immersive imo. I feel like this would make the MC seem disconnected from the story. They would just be a floating head essentially.

Now if I was dead set on making a game where you could play either gender, I would make the game about those two people getting together. Meaning you could play the game from the guy's perspective or from the girl's perspective. This would let you reuse a lot of work without it seeming weird, because it's the same situation, but from the other person's side of it. So all the sex scenes can involve those two people and they don't need to be done twice. If the game is about their relationship, then most of the dialogue will involve the two of them, so again you can reuse it. You'd probably have a few parts where they do things alone that would be unique to the character being played, but it would limit the amount of extra work needed.

All in all, I don't think this is a viable options for the types of games being made on this site (mostly). If the game was truly unique based on the character being played then you are talking about almost double the work to make one game. You might as well just make two games at that point, realistically. You could have the games be related, in the same universe, using the same characters, but with a different MC. The alternative is a very generic game that is a one-size-fits-all scenario to keep extra work to a minimum. If you are bothering to make a game where you can be either gender, but being either gender doesn't really matter, then what was the point?
Guy, as so often, has nailed it.

I actually tried to make my game with a gender option (oddly, given Guy mentioned Ripley, it's also set in space...) but it just didn't work. At all.

It's the little things that can trip you up. Dialogue can either suddenly sound flat or jar if you're trying as the dev to cover both options and, again as mentioned above, what is perfectly normal for gender x to do suddenly seems weird for gender y so unless you're willing to effectively write two games (or at least one and a half!) then it just doesn't work sadly.

It seemed a good idea at the time, but the amount of effort I put into it and effectively wasted as I've had to scrap that idea as it was just undermining the game ...I have to be honest and wished I hadn't tried. Hell, the dratted thing would have been out by now if I hadn't.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't one day want to go back and add it in/re-work it but not until at least the game is finished just purely due to the the development hell it causes trying to do it in one go.

Reactions: GuyFreely

LewdCatgirl

Aug 16, 2018
It can work but it's a lot more common with text based games.

(Put me in the "prefers female protagonists" camp by the way)

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I know this is a shit argument to have but how you feel is how a lot of us on the more female side feel, especially those of us that aren't into hetero stuff.

With nearly double the amount of games being male protag and most of the games on here being hetero it narrows down what I play by a hell of a lot. I can play a male protag if the story is interesting or the women can make up for it but i've never been a bloke, I can't get immersed and it feels "wrong" when I try.

Sadly having options that suit all our needs would severely reduce quality and I highly doubt everyone would want female only lesbian content everywhere which is what would make me happy.

The reason I don't go into games threads asking for content to suit me is because just how unreasonable it would be. I would never expect a developer to change anything to suit me even if i'm supporting them. I support them through choice not because I want them to cater to my every whim.

If they add in options to choose gender in female protag games then it's only fair they do it in male protag games for those of us that want that. Could you imagine how much work would need to be done to accommodate that?

There is also the fact that devs that make female protag games have a target demographic they are aiming for and that doesn't include you. Harsh way of putting it but it's true.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
I know this is a shit argument to have but how you feel is how a lot of us on the more female side feel, especially those of us that aren't into hetero stuff.
It's not very similar since most female protag games are made by straight men for straight men. It's bizarre to see people have issues playing those titles actually.
Devs make content 1. they're into 2. makes money. On both cases theres 1 block of people that is way larger than any other block so that gets made more than any other type of content. Thats why it's kinda irrelevant what people ask for in the forums, devs wont waste time on content they don't like or wont make them money.

Even when they do put in the effort to widen their playerbase it's possible its like Mass effect, they put in a female mc and <10% of players play as female and that effort would've been more valuable put elsewhere. If they had just settled on predetermined protagonist the story would've been better, the dialogue could've been bespoked to the male character, all npc's wouldn't call the player "shepard" instead of first name etc.

Reactions: Nottravis

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Even when they do put in the effort to widen their playerbase it's possible its like Mass effect, they put in a female mc and <10% of players play as female and that effort would've been more valuable put elsewhere.
That's false, the female ratio in Mass Effect was 18%, which is still quite low when compared to 32% in Dragon Age Inquisition (with a higher percentage than that if you consider only PC players) and unofficial sources for DA2 (since no proven number was given afaik) give different numbers, but always more Lady Hakes than males.

For F95Zone, out of our almost 3k games, 2.3k have gender tags with a 68% of male PC, 38% of females and 6% with both tags which I would say it's fair unless you're in for lesbian games. Also more importantly, 4/10 of the top adult game patreons are female protagonist so there is money to be made in this niche.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
I think there is an alternative her that is rarely exploited which is having multiple MC's why limit yourself as a writer to one guy who by the nature of most games with choices devolves into something of a bland every-man. Why not have a couple, or a brother and sister and change between them as needed for both story and sex scenes?.

there are a bunch of Pro's to this IMO, assuming the MC pair is mixed 1 male, 1 female
- Lesbian scenes in a game without the whole game being devoted to Lez
- Easily explainable/believable threesomes
- Potential prevention of blandness in MCs, MS is less isolated and has more character development potential if not "alone in a crowd" in the way they commonly are in games
- greater variety in sex scenes in terms of characters, fetishes ect.
- Ability to tell converging, diverging, tangential and parallel stories with separate choices and consequences
- broader potential audience

there are a couple of cons though:
- more work for the Dev
- more (potentially needless) complications in story
- less time spent with each MC meaning they feel less important
- less immersion in terms of Direct RP potential
- in a 1M1F pair if the women where to have sex with a man other than the male MC i can see a whole NTR problem starting and that is rarely a good thing for a Dev, especially if that isn't the niche they are going for.

Personal i'm less interested in solo Fem MC games, the writing often turns me off, either she is a total slut from day one and the character can't/doesn't go anywhere or the player is fighting her the whole way until she is fully corrupted, neither do it for me.

As for male MC games the player is often a nameless every-man either for RP reasons or to allow multiple fetishes into a game, or just plain old bad writing.

Don't get me wrong I've seen both solo male and female MC games done well, but i think the whole multi MC thing needs more consideration than it currently gets.

Reactions: Nottravis

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
I think there is an alternative her that is rarely exploited which is having multiple MC's why limit yourself as a writer to one guy who by the nature of most games with choices devolves into something of a bland every-man. Why not have a couple, or a brother and sister and change between them as needed for both story and sex scenes?.

there are a bunch of Pro's to this IMO, assuming the MC pair is mixed 1 male, 1 female
- Lesbian scenes in a game without the whole game being devoted to Lez
- Easily explainable/believable threesomes
- Potential prevention of blandness in MCs, MS is less isolated and has more character development potential if not "alone in a crowd" in the way they commonly are in games
- greater variety in sex scenes in terms of characters, fetishes ect.
- Ability to tell converging, diverging, tangential and parallel stories with separate choices and consequences
- broader potential audience

there are a couple of cons though:
- more work for the Dev
- more (potentially needless) complications in story
- less time spent with each MC meaning they feel less important
- less immersion in terms of Direct RP potential
- in a 1M1F pair if the women where to have sex with a man other than the male MC i can see a whole NTR problem starting and that is rarely a good thing for a Dev, especially if that isn't the niche they are going for.

Personal i'm less interested in solo Fem MC games, the writing often turns me off, either she is a total slut from day one and the character can't/doesn't go anywhere or the player is fighting her the whole way until she is fully corrupted, neither do it for me.

As for male MC games the player is often a nameless every-man either for RP reasons or to allow multiple fetishes into a game, or just plain old bad writing.

Don't get me wrong I've seen both solo male and female MC games done well, but i think the whole multi MC thing needs more consideration than it currently gets.
Yeah, this can certainly be done and has been done in games. You don't play as a singular character, but various characters at different times. I think this can be engaging in its own way, but can also be muddled. It pulls the player out a bit, makes them more disconnected to a degree that they seem to be watching a story unfold rather than playing the key role in a story. This is neither bad nor good necessarily, just something to keep in mind.

Also, it can run the risk of trying to be everything to everyone. I personally prefer games to stay on theme to a degree. Either you like it or you don't, but at least you know where you stand. If you play a game where you have to do things you don't like to get to do things you do like it can be a mixed bag. For some players who have no interest in playing a female protag, having a section of the game where they have to play one can be a deal breaker for them. Some of us are less picky and don't mind some mixed content, but I think that's less common.

Reactions: Raven Hex

Ataios

Sep 11, 2017
After Invasion lets you choose the protagonist's sex, and so does Lust Effect. In my opinion both are among the best porn games currently available. Of course it's a lot of additional work for the devoloper to create the extra artwork (and potentally different story angles) but they will also reach a more wide-spread audience.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
Yeah, this can certainly be done and has been done in games. You don't play as a singular character, but various characters at different times. I think this can be engaging in its own way, but can also be muddled. It pulls the player out a bit, makes them more disconnected to a degree that they seem to be watching a story unfold rather than playing the key role in a story. This is neither bad nor good necessarily, just something to keep in mind.

Also, it can run the risk of trying to be everything to everyone. I personally prefer games to stay on theme to a degree. Either you like it or you don't, but at least you know where you stand. If you play a game where you have to do things you don't like to get to do things you do like it can be a mixed bag. For some players who have no interest in playing a female protag, having a section of the game where they have to play one can be a deal breaker for them. Some of us are less picky and don't mind some mixed content, but I think that's less common.
You make a lot of good points, some, such as the disjointed nature of the story or disconnection from the player i expected to hear, pretty much a potential downside from the design choice, always a risk in whatever format you choose if you don't make the most of the design or fail at some aspect of the execution of that design. What i really hadn't considered and is probably the best point you make is that not all players want games with a scope as broad as i suggested, better to do a few things well in a shorter period of time than try to cover loads to a minimal depth or standard over a prolonged period, this is particularly poignant in an industry living on small time indie devs with shoestring resources, better to find a niche and mine it deep.

I wonder if a game with a main duo rather than a singular protagonist could do well for the general audience or if it would push people with a real aversion to female protagonists away and rather than bringing people in with a broad choice of content would in fact turn off more individuals than it would attract, even if it were to give red line fetishes a wide birth.

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
You make a lot of good points, some, such as the disjointed nature of the story or disconnection from the player i expected to hear, pretty much a potential downside from the design choice, always a risk in whatever format you choose if you don't make the most of the design or fail at some aspect of the execution of that design. What i really hadn't considered and is probably the best point you make is that not all players want games with a scope as broad as i suggested, better to do a few things well in a shorter period of time than try to cover loads to a minimal depth or standard over a prolonged period, this is particularly poignant in an industry living on small time indie devs with shoestring resources, better to find a niche and mine it deep.

I wonder if a game with a main duo rather than a singular protagonist could do well for the general audience or if it would push people with a real aversion to female protagonists away and rather than bringing people in with a broad choice of content would in fact turn off more individuals than it would attract, even if it were to give red line fetishes a wide birth.
Yeah, it's hard to tell what the market will tolerate. We know what the safe bets are (Male protag incest games), but it's less clear how other styles will be accepted. I know there is a contingent that refuses to play female protagonist games, but I don't know if it's a vocal minority or a larger group. I think in general it's better to focus on one style/theme/genre and know that some people won't like it than to risk putting off people that like your game except for "that one thing." I prefer games that have more story elements to them anyway, so I'm a bit biased in that sense.

I think it's easier to get away with playing either gender in traditional games. If your game is about killing goblins, a guy or gal can do that job about the same. If your game is about trying to become a super model and experiencing the dark underbelly of the industry, it probably makes more sense to have a female in that role. Not to say you couldn't have a male in the role, but it changes the dynamics a lot imo. Because adult games are focused on sex and sexuality, gender becomes a much larger factor in how the story plays out. This means that it's an inherently more important factor for the player's enjoyment of the game.

Carion_Crow

Apr 10, 2018
It would take so much work to make both genders viable but would be fun if its in a game, makes it more replayable.

But does it fit? I try imagining any of the games I've played and imagining if the protags gender was switched would it work... In most cases it doesn't.