Daz Ordinary cars for DAZ studio?

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Most car products include various sports cars, car veterans, luxury cars, military vehicles and so on.
Do you have any tips for products involving ordinary average cars, which you see thousands in the streets every day? I don't need exact models of specific car brands. I want something that looks like a normal middle class car.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018

Plenty of free cars to import from here too :

Reactions: lawfullame

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019

Plenty of free cars to import from here too :

It looks like the situation is somewhat better in a shop other than .daz3d.com/shop. From the Daz3d shop, Car Ranger is one of the very few cars that looks quite normal.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Any other tips on boring ordinary cars for Daz?

I know it is possible to import many models into Daz, but if those models were not directly designed for Daz, working with shaders is quite a pain.

Last edited:

Romirom

Jul 5, 2018
You could extend your search by looking for Poser content which works in Daz as well.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
You could extend your search by looking for Poser content which works in Daz as well.
In the case of Poser content, for example from Renderosity, I struggle with shaders. I guess I need to manually assign and customize shaders for use in Iray.
Or is there a simple solution to load Poser objects into Daz without having to edit shaders manually?

Romirom

Jul 5, 2018
I never had to change any shaders for Poser content I've added into my scenes to be honest but on the other hand I don't even have that much Poser content installed. I just never needed to fall back on Poser stuff. Maybe you copied something wrong?

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I never had to change any shaders for Poser content I've added into my scenes to be honest but on the other hand I don't even have that much Poser content installed. I just never needed to fall back on Poser stuff. Maybe you copied something wrong?
I have a problem that when I use Iray, the Poser car looks like a cheap plastic toy, although it looks quite good in promotional images.

Promo Image
car_promo,.jpg

Daz
reality.png

I guess if I adjust each surface manually, that car can look good. But is there any way to do it automatically when importing?

Last edited:

Romirom

Jul 5, 2018
Maybe this helps a bit:

What asset are you using?

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
The artist has a decent variety of vehicles on offer ranging from older ones to more executive ones. The models themselves are usually high quality so allow for both close ups and as general scene fillers.

If you also check out the of the artist. This shows screenshots of the different cars and links are provided at the bottom of the product page (note, this pack itself does not include the cars)

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
I guess if I adjust each surface manually, that car can look good. But is there any way to do it automatically when importing?
Once you've done the manual adjustments, you can use File > Save As > Scene Subset. Select only the car and Save. This will now appear under your Saved Files> LOCAL USER in the Smart Content. I'm sure there's other ways, but this one works for me. You can also Categorize the model by right clicking and selecting Categorize which can help finding the model in the future easier.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Looks good to me. Maybe it's just you? :D
Good except that the tires look like some shiny plastic with almost no textures,the glasses are essentially invisible, the metal surfaces do not look like metal....
I know the basics of work with Iray shaders, so I can change that, but I'd like to know if it's any import errors, or that's how poser objects look in Daz when I render with Iray.

Once you've done the manual adjustments, you can use File > Save As > Scene Subset. Select only the car and Save. This will now appear under your Saved Files> LOCAL USER in the Smart Content. I'm sure there's other ways, but this one works for me. You can also Categorize the model by right clicking and selecting Categorize which can help finding the model in the future easier.
Thanks, I use scene subsets quite often. But I wonder if I'm doing something wrong when importing, or if it's normal for Poser objects in Iray to require manual changing/adjustment shaders.

The artist has a decent variety of vehicles on offer ranging from older ones to more executive ones. The models themselves are usually high quality so allow for both close ups and as general scene fillers.

If you also check out the of the artist. This shows screenshots of the different cars and links are provided at the bottom of the product page (note, this pack itself does not include the cars)
This is a good tip. However, those cars do not fall into the category of ordinary.
In DAZ Shop, that there are a lot of retro, sport, luxury, military or sci-fi cars, but the cars that we actually see on the streets most often are very rare.

Last edited:

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
But I wonder if I'm doing something wrong when importing, or if it's normal for Poser objects in Iray to require manual changing/adjustment shaders.
I've they're not Iray, you'd usually need to add the Uber shader and make the adjustments. Another note, on the screenshots, the production ones have better lighting compared to the one you shared so that could make a big difference. Try adding a few difference HDRI lights or using a lighting set to see if it makes a difference.
On a personal note, I always prefer to edit and adjust the shaders on these type of models as it makes them appear more unique especially if it's the main focus (I tend to leave the background ones the same as I usually use DoF).

Reactions: Dilly_

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I've they're not Iray, you'd usually need to add the Uber shader and make the adjustments. Another note, on the screenshots, the production ones have better lighting compared to the one you shared so that could make a big difference. Try adding a few difference HDRI lights or using a lighting set to see if it makes a difference.
On a personal note, I always prefer to edit and adjust the shaders on these type of models as it makes them appear more unique especially if it's the main focus (I tend to leave the background ones the same as I usually use DoF).
It was just a very basic setup of lighting, but it's still visible that the shaders require some manual adjustments.
I also change and adjust a lot of shaders in my scenes, rebuild the house, where part of the story takes place, etc. But these cars are not the main focus for me. Most of them will be used only in scenes where someone gets out of the car, etc ..

By the way, I think products like this will help me as a reference for shaders for cars designed for Poser.

Last edited: