5.00 star(s) 11 Votes

periwinkle22

Jun 11, 2023
Our Life 2: Step 2 Opening Line (Screenshot)

I am beginning to write the Step 2 preview. I've mentioned it before, but I won't consider the OL2's demo complete until it can show off the growing up element of the game at least a little, so despite Step 1 being in early development I'm skipping ahead to write a couple scenes from the start of the teenage time period.

And that means I'll be able to share screenshots of fourteen-year-old Qiu and Tam soon! A beta build for Patreons on tier three and is on the horizon as well. Not this month, but hopefully at the end of September near the first day of fall in the northern hemisphere. I'm excited ✨

Panon_B

Apr 28, 2023
Yep, seems like with Beginnings & Always the main childhood troubles for Cove were in the first step, while in Now & Forever, the troubles look like they'll mainly start in the second step.
there were different troubles in different life stages tbh. Sure, Cove main troubles were with adjusting (through his family issues kind of come and go) but Derek has issues in childhood stage, and MC can have them as a tween and young adult. In the teen stages, you get a bit of adoption drama + Lizz is going through her own stuff. Then as a young adult, you can have Baxter, getting dumped and his overall attachment issues, and now it's MC dealing with the fact that their world is changing... Which always hits me like a truck, personally lol. And then as an adult, again issues with Baxter mainly, which, I'm gonna be honest, I love a messy boi lol.

So it's safe to assume it's going to be similar in OL2 - there's already a bit of conflict with Tam... Not getting along with people lol. And MC can get jealous! Personally, I'm super excited about jealousy stuff because it's always so juicy (also, the fact that MC can get a bit sad about Autumn not treating only them as special was such a !! moment for me lol) but I'm guessing there's going to be a bit more considering possible gender revelations of Qiu (and their people pleasing tendencies), Tam getting self-conscious (and possibly also dealing with her sexuality), Baxter leaves again, differences of groups based on gender, clubs, etc. It's nothing too heavy but Cove never really had to deal with anything like that (and him and MC dealt with it as children so there was less "agency" in it) so I'm very curious... And sitting there like a praying mantis, rubbing my hands together because yes, please, plot drama lol.

Last edited:

Ramen-

Aug 28, 2018
Our Life 2: Step 2 Opening Line (Screenshot)

I am beginning to write the Step 2 preview. I've mentioned it before, but I won't consider the OL2's demo complete until it can show off the growing up element of the game at least a little, so despite Step 1 being in early development I'm skipping ahead to write a couple scenes from the start of the teenage time period.
Does that mean instead of finishing step after step like with OL1, we will get moments from all over the steps?

Yep, seems like with Beginnings & Always the main childhood troubles for Cove were in the first step, while in Now & Forever, the troubles look like they'll mainly start in the second step.
You can also straight up antagonize your mother from the start, so this might add a lot of drama.

ggezwux

Jul 30, 2021
Does that mean instead of finishing step after step like with OL1, we will get moments from all over the steps?
If you're asking if we'll be able to play different moments from different steps at any time, no, we won't - You'll still have to go through the Steps in order. (though technically, you can skip every moment if you want lol) For the demo Kab wants everyone to have a sneak peak of Step 2 (I believe this happened for the OL1 Demo) - and especially to show off how the growing up system works. That's one of the reasons why we'll get a "skip" to Step 2 in the demo... if that makes sense? :0

Reactions: Ramen-

periwinkle22

Jun 11, 2023
Our Life 2: Qiu Step 2 Side Sprite Remake (Sketch)

Qiu's getting an updated side sprite in Step 2! Very early in development I wasn't sure how I wanted to do the side sprites, whether they'd be super simple and just fully facing to the side or if the poses would be more customized to their demeanor at that current age.

Ultimately, I decided it was most effective to have the posing be consist with the basic side view. Qiu Step 2 originally had a more dynamic angle and so needs a new sprite to be inline with the rest of the side sprites.

Ramen-

Aug 28, 2018
Our Life 2: Voiced Nickname Feature (Patreon)

We all remember the Voiced Name feature in the Our Life series. That's a classic. It's gonna be included in Our Life: Now & Forever. .

But we know not everyone who wants a voiced name will be able to get one for various reasons. If none of the names chosen by others end up working for you, we've got a comprise prepared: the Voiced Nickname feature.

It's possible to go by a nickname in Our Life: N&F. You can choose who is allowed to call you by that nickname and even have a special nickname exclusive to your closest friend and/or partner. There's an option to type in your own entirely custom nickname, or there will be the choice to use one of the preset voiced nicknames.

Nicknames will not be something you back for; they'll be chosen by us developers and through popular player demand in order to have a broad selection that will make as many people happy as possible. There's going to be 30, potentially more, voiced nicknames to choose from.

If you can't have a name you requested yourself said out loud, you can still have a semi-personalized experience by picking out one of the many fun voiced nicknames. Maybe you want to hear Qiu call you cutie, or Tamarack call you dude, or something else!

And just like the voiced first names, you can change your nickname as time goes on. Also, you can have both a voiced name and voiced nickname active, if there's options you enjoy for each type of name.

Ramen-

Aug 28, 2018
Patreon Q&A: August 2023 (Patreon)

Some highlights

Hey, first I need to say again how much I love this game and how great it is we can have these questions. As for my question, in the TikTok about Our Life 2, it says something about Qiu being sad in Step Two. I thought they were just annoyed at that phase, not sad, so I was surprised. What are they sad about?
Well, when somebody is generally unhappy, most of the time, it often isn't purely anger and annoyance 24/7. Usually there is something else that's bothering them that makes them unhappy in other ways than just annoyance. And Qiu has a lot of, you know, concerns and struggles that they're dealing with that makes life not as easy as it was when they were younger.
Did Baxter ever feel any jealousy towards Franky and/or Tamarack? If I remember correctly, he told Jamie he felt as if the age gap between him and Qiu and Renee became more obvious as they aged. So did he ever feel like he was being replaced?
And Baxter was never jealous of Tamarack, since Qiu her would never like super besties at those earlier ages. They had their good times and then they had their bad times. And especially when Baxter was starting to drift apart from Qiu, Qiu was also drifting apart from Tamarack. But if the MC was close to Qiu from the moment they met and that stays the same forever, then Baxter might have felt a little bad in comparison.
How many DLCs can we expect? About the same or a smaller number?
And I imagine you're talking about Our Life 2. Currently there are only three DLCs that are in the plan: one for Step One, one for Step Two, one for Step Three. And they will, like Our Life 1, add five additional Moments to those time periods. A stretch goal on the upcoming Kickstarter will be a wedding DLC, just like it was for Our Life 1. And then currently that is it. There are not any other DLC stretch goals planned since I would want to see how long everything takes and if we can actually keep to our schedule for the current DLC plan before promising to add any others. So even if we surpass the goal for the wedding DLC Kickstarter thing, I'm not going to put another DLC on the list just because it's already going to be so much to get done, and I'd rather get more done before promising even more stuff.
My questions: I know you only have so much of Our Life 2 figured out at this point, but I wondered what you considered romance wise towards each step in general strokes? Naturally when the MC + Tamarack and Cho are younger, you want it to be age appropriate, but I'm wondering if each Step will be romantically significant with consideration to its age, or if we'll have to work up to it as a whole? Will Step One be mild in that area, or will you have pinnacles like hand-holding or a kiss on the cheek, for example, perhaps even dating? Because kids at a young age play at romance, even if it's not seriously emulating what they see. Respectively, what are you envisioning as general romantic plateaus between Steps? Do you think you'll add more or do something different versus Our Life 1, especially with two leads to play around with? Thank you for answering what you can. I know it's a lot! More so interested in your thought process than anything super concrete.
Well, I can say technically in a very general sense that since they are slightly older in Step One and Two than they were in Our Life 1, that there probably will be slightly more, I guess, crush based things that can happen because they're not as little kids and not as little teenagers. But obviously I can't give any specifics on it. And I'm honestly still trying to figure out exactly how I want it to work when there are two leads. Because, you know, how do you have basically a shared main story that doesn't make their romances feel like they're the same thing, just inserting a different person? So it's less about having more options to play around with things, and more concern on how to make it still feel special and unique for each individual love interest if you do go down the love interest route with them. But I'm sure it'll work out in the end eventually!

igg

Feb 25, 2018
Prep your wallets. (and make a Kickstarter account)

We've got another fun graphic made for the . And now we know the amounts we're aiming for to get things funded, haha. It's significantly more than the first OL but OL2 is a lot more expensive to make. We've really gone all out with the amount of art and the size of the script. I think we'll be able to make it!

Panon_B

Apr 28, 2023
Our Life 2: Tamarack Step 2 Preview Screenshot

She can still surprise you ️

Kind of unfortunately.

[Side note: These screenshots use the Step 1 version of the neighborhood. Later in development a neighborhood background for S2 with small alterations will be made]
her hair looks even prettier here how did that happen fdhg. I'm never getting over how cute Tam is.

Tunak23

Aug 16, 2018
Prep your wallets. (and make a Kickstarter account)

We've got another fun graphic made for the . And now we know the amounts we're aiming for to get things funded, haha. It's significantly more than the first OL but OL2 is a lot more expensive to make. We've really gone all out with the amount of art and the size of the script. I think we'll be able to make it!

Will have to contribute a little then, hopefully some big fish arrives and dumps all their money. This jewel needs all the dlc it can get specially the wedding one.

Savaralyn

Apr 30, 2023
Our Life 2: Tamarack PJs (Step 2)

Now we've got the tamma-jammas from Step 2! I think they're just adorable
SUPER cute, especially the robe that kinda looks like a fluffy cloud, I guess we'll probably get more sleepovers/sneaking over to each others houses in this game just like in OLBA

I can't recall, but has there been any pics of Qiu in PJ's either?

5.00 star(s) 11 Votes