5.00 star(s) 11 Votes
Jul 19, 2020
It took around 4 years for the first game to reach that point (from "demo" to "almost finished"), so I'd say 2 years is close to nothing (especially considering the scale of the game, where "every little choice matters").
I didn't have to wait for that tho, I first played OL1 I think when all 4 steps and the moments were out so. I jumped right in on a complete experience :p

Panon_B

Apr 28, 2023
At least from the Step 2 preview that definitely seems to be the case and you could probably see it was going in that direction throughout Step 1. As kids they became friends just due to their proximity to each other but their personalities didn't really mesh so they were just going to drift apart as they get older. Any sort of bond between the three would be up to the MC to keep them together if that's what the player wishes.
Played Step 2 right after commenting and it definitely seems to be the case. If the MC grabs both of them, the ending line is literally along the lines of "you're the bridge between them" lol. I can't really imagine them being interested in each other. But I can easily imagine them being in a "it's natural you're there - because you were always there" kind of partnership (?). Honestly, I don't want to make it weird but their relationship seems almost sibling-like to me. They annoy each other a lot, they don't really need to spend much time together but will be there for each other if needed. Tam mentions dragging Qiu to school herself first after all lol.

Panon_B

Apr 28, 2023
Our Life: Now & Forever Beta Build 1.3.4

Content
Okay, so I said betas weren't gonna be 20k+ anymore but that'll be for the future, haha. This is a very special expansion that had to be finished this month. The preview of the Step 2 prologue is here ️! And it's around 24,000 words in length. We can finally share a bit of what Qiu and Tamarack will be like as fourteen-year-olds.
Now, this was done so that the growing up aspect of the story can be featured to players early on. I'm already back to writing for Step 1 and will continue to make scenes for that time period until it's entirely finished. We won't be seeing these versions of the characters in a beta again for quite a while. It'll be fun while it lasts!

Download Links:
Windows/Linux Download
Mac Download
Android Download
And since we've had some problems in the past with so many people downloading beta builds that they get locked out by Google Drive, I've uploaded mirror builds! If the first ones listed don't work, you can try these.
Windows/Linux Download Mirror
Mac Download Mirror
Android Download Mirror
Or you can bypass the quota by logging in to a Google Drive account, then on the file's download page, click "Add shortcut to Drive" in the upper right corner. Save it to your Drive, then create a new folder, put it inside, and download the folder!
Save files from the prior beta should work in this beta!
New Content:
  • 24,000 words of new scenes; a preview of the Step 2 prologue
  • Added in suggestions from Tier 5 Backers throughout older scenes
  • Implemented the Type-In-Your-Own-Answer feature for where the MC came from and your ethnicity
  • New MC Doll options were added
  • New music tracks were added
  • Small fixes to typos/errors from the prior build
This was quite an intensive update. There was a lot that went into making everything for Step 2 work programming-wise. We'd love to hear your feedback on how it's coming together and will appreciate reports of any bugs you might run into. And thank you to everyone who gives the beta a try
Damn it, after playing, it's crazy how much "my type" Qiu is lmao. Them being a snarky little shit, who easily goes from cold to clingy and playful with PC made me bounce like a kid lol. In the first game, I had some troubles with Cove because I don't gel that well with his personality. Him being very sensitive, low-key self-focused, and needing to be brought out of his shell is just... Inherently not compatible with me lmao. The writing still had me hooked, and in love with the characters but after Baxter DLC, I never could see him in a "romantic" light long term lol. But Qiu being a sarcastic jerk, having a deadpan sense of humor to their misery, and rubbing it in that PC clings to them is just soooo entertaining and charming? And I loved how we can happily pick up their notes without the game making it into something "weird" or "demeaning". Me and my BFF literally sometimes get on our knees in front of each other to tie each other shoes if the other is too lazy for it. I wish more games didn't make things like that into something "omg pathetic". The creator continues to be wonderfully open-minded and inclusive as always lol.

Sofia86

Sep 8, 2021
I haven't played very far (tried for the first time in August), but wanted to try the new custom options so I started over. Why is Mom looking so different? I liked her earlier appearance, now she looks like something from the 1st grade storybook. Am I missing something?

Fizel

Feb 10, 2018
I haven't played very far (tried for the first time in August), but wanted to try the new custom options so I started over. Why is Mom looking so different? I liked her earlier appearance, now she looks like something from the 1st grade storybook. Am I missing something?
Can you explain a bit more? Like what's actually wrong with her?
Unless you mean the earlier post with her HALLOWEEN COSTUMES.

Sofia86

Sep 8, 2021
Can you explain a bit more? Like what's actually wrong with her?
Unless you mean the earlier post with her HALLOWEEN COSTUMES.
I meant that huge-eyed preview look when creating mother. But seems like she still looks as before when I proceed and start the game. Maybe it always was like that, I don't remember anymore and I only played briefly once before this. I thought they changed something but maybe she always looked that odd in the preview, nothing like her actual appearance in game.

Ramen-

Aug 28, 2018
Patreon Q&A: September 2023

Hi! Here's the answers for our monthly Q&A. It was another good set of questions. Thank you to everyone who commented

My question, if you can answer it, is when does Tamarack get her glasses? Does she need them in Step One at all? Does she get them sometime between Steps One and Two?
Tamarack gets her glasses in Step One. You'll have to see how that goes in future updates!
One more question: In the Our Life 2 tutorial, you said you could potentially have a hostile relationship with Qiu and/or Tamarack if you're just neighbors. So you can have an actively negative relationship with them? As opposed to Our Life 1, where you could only really be uninterested in Cove, but not actively antagonistic. Totally understand if this isn't answerable at this time.
You can choose options to not like them at all and to be rude to them. I don't think Qiu and Tamarack will ever be super actively hostile against you. It'll definitely just be the MC being mean towards them, but they won't necessarily be super attached to the MC if you’re just neighbors either.
In Our Life 1 the MC can have, or state that they have, crushes on other people like Cliff or Shiloh. In Our Life 2, will something similar be a thing? Like could the MC just start crushing on Devon or Mrs. Lin?
Yes, you will be able to pick who you have a crush on and you can pick other characters in the cast besides just the two leads.

Lenwood

Dec 18, 2017
I meant that huge-eyed preview look when creating mother. But seems like she still looks as before when I proceed and start the game. Maybe it always was like that, I don't remember anymore and I only played briefly once before this. I thought they changed something but maybe she always looked that odd in the preview, nothing like her actual appearance in game.
I've played the demo twice and if you're talking about the doll of mom on the step pages, I think it's caused by keeping the same mother 'nickname' between steps. I think supposed to be a surprised face. In one playthrough I went from calling her Mommy to Mama which set her face to neutral in the step preview, and in the other I stuck to calling her Mama, and she looked wide-eyed. I'd guess mom may eventually be able to comment on how although our relationship with her is drastically changing our form of address hasn't.

Sofia86

Sep 8, 2021
I've played the demo twice and if you're talking about the doll of mom on the step pages, I think it's caused by keeping the same mother 'nickname' between steps. I think supposed to be a surprised face. In one playthrough I went from calling her Mommy to Mama which set her face to neutral in the step preview, and in the other I stuck to calling her Mama, and she looked wide-eyed. I'd guess mom may eventually be able to comment on how although our relationship with her is drastically changing our form of address hasn't.
That might be why, thank you!

Reactions: Tunak23

Ramen-

Aug 28, 2018
Month Beginning Post: October 2023 Plans

[The adorable guest piece is by Just_Lisii on Twitter]

Hello, folks!

There are nine days before the Our Life: Now & Forever Kickstarter is launching . Tamarack and Qiu are ready for it. I hope I am.

You can see what was done last month HERE! Now let's get into what is vaguely called a "plan" for the coming days-

Monthly Content Plans:
Things are going to be super unusual all October. The first week and change will be the lead up to the OL: N&F Kickstarter, and then the campaign will be running the rest of the month. I'll be marketing that and answering people's questions/queries about the crowdfunding. I also need to finish writing Wheels and program at least the first half of it for a Patreon beta.

But I don't know what else I'll do. I might draft another Step 1 Moment, or I might not have the energy/focus to start something brand new during this process. It's been four years since our last Kickstarter. I'm struggling to remember how I handled it then. I'm not sure if that'd even help since things are so different now than they were before Our Life: Beginnings & Always was released.

I am making peace with the fact that this month might end up having the least amount of game development progress in many years. Running this campaign is a once-in-a-project endeavor, and when it's over I'll have dozens of months to focus fully on the drafting/writing/programming again. So, I'm gonna give as much of my attention to the Kickstarter as is needed. We're just gonna have to wait and see what that actually entails, haha.

igg

Feb 25, 2018
Make it so.

DESCRIPTION:

So, I'm being optimistic that Our Life: Now & Forever is gonna reach that Wedding DLC Stretch Goal. In case that happens, I've commissioned this celebration image ahead of time to post on our public socials. But no matter what, you all on the Patreon get to enjoy a charming piece of art.

Hopefully this didn't make anyone do a double take, haha. The stretch goal isn't funded yet, neither is the base game. We need to wait a little longer to see how the campaign actually goes.

Also, the Wedding DLC will be set in Step 4, if it does get funded. However, their Step 4 designs aren't done and you can get engaged in Step 3, so this still works!

Kickstarter Countdown: TWO DAYS TO GO

The darling bonus piece was done by Sunnyflowerday1 on Twitter

Princess Groundhog

Nov 5, 2018
Make it so.

DESCRIPTION:

So, I'm being optimistic that Our Life: Now & Forever is gonna reach that Wedding DLC Stretch Goal. In case that happens, I've commissioned this celebration image ahead of time to post on our public socials. But no matter what, you all on the Patreon get to enjoy a charming piece of art.

Hopefully this didn't make anyone do a double take, haha. The stretch goal isn't funded yet, neither is the base game. We need to wait a little longer to see how the campaign actually goes.

Also, the Wedding DLC will be set in Step 4, if it does get funded. However, their Step 4 designs aren't done and you can get engaged in Step 3, so this still works!

Kickstarter Countdown: TWO DAYS TO GO

The darling bonus piece was done by Sunnyflowerday1 on Twitter
Wow that’s ADORABLE! I wonder if this means on the poly route we all get married to each other :love:

igg

Feb 25, 2018
Those with a KS account, pay attention (if interested). Those without a KS and want to support, maybe make one. Because its a day away.

DESCRIPTION

Tomorrow, everybody. The Our Life: Now & Forever Kickstarter is going live tomorrow, October 10th at 9am PST. That's less than one day away!!
This is the last time I'm sharing a link to the pre-launch page. When I post about the campaign again it will be to announce that it's officially begun.

Thank you to the over 6,000 people who have signed up to be notified when it goes live . No matter what happens tomorrow and throughout the entire 30-day campaign, that's already incredible. I'm amazed at how many people are interested in seeing the KS happen from the start. We'll do our best to make the game worth your while!

5.00 star(s) 11 Votes