5.00 star(s) 13 Votes

Luunar

Jul 12, 2022

Project W Post: September 2024

Happy Project W Wednesday! And it is actually on Wednesday again.

Last month, I discussed how the game is becoming more of a real story rather than purely ideas. September has reminded me how far I still need to go, though in a good way. I know enough about what I'm doing to start picking out points that are weak. I've been condensing/simplifying some things and making other aspects less basic/straightforward.

A funny example is that I realized I had a bunch of single characters in similar but technically different groups/careers. In real life, of course there are a lot of similar but not exactly the same work options. However, in a story, it was gonna be way too many things that'd need to be named and remembered and distinguished from each other. It's gone from over a dozen to around eight. That's still a lot, but Project W has a particular naming convention for stuff. The fantasy elements don't use typical names like "mage" or "warrior", and there's not too many major characters who have standard, real life careers either. Almost everything is unique to Project W.

Another thing I did this month was that there was a major side character and subplot I'd had as an element for almost a year that I cut entirely! Removing that character and the group they were associated with from the story was definitely needed in hindsight. It was an incorrect fit, but it had been an early idea and a pillar a lot of things were built around. I'm pleased with myself that I could see past the parts I liked and take out future problems by the roots. It makes me feel a bit more confident that perhaps I can pull this more ambitious project project off.

The three leading characters have continued to develop as well. There's one who is particularly formed in my mind- this character even has a name! That's an amazing step. The other two leads have a lot going for them too. One went through some big changes lately and got new qualities this month. I think I'm at a point where I'll mainly be adding more and more to what they have rather than removing and replacing parts of them. I think people are gonna like them

And that's everything for this month's Project W ramble!

Haklsdad

Jul 25, 2024
Project W Post: September 2024

Happy Project W Wednesday! And it is actually on Wednesday again.

Last month, I discussed how the game is becoming more of a real story rather than purely ideas. September has reminded me how far I still need to go, though in a good way. I know enough about what I'm doing to start picking out points that are weak. I've been condensing/simplifying some things and making other aspects less basic/straightforward.

A funny example is that I realized I had a bunch of single characters in similar but technically different groups/careers. In real life, of course there are a lot of similar but not exactly the same work options. However, in a story, it was gonna be way too many things that'd need to be named and remembered and distinguished from each other. It's gone from over a dozen to around eight. That's still a lot, but Project W has a particular naming convention for stuff. The fantasy elements don't use typical names like "mage" or "warrior", and there's not too many major characters who have standard, real life careers either. Almost everything is unique to Project W.

Another thing I did this month was that there was a major side character and subplot I'd had as an element for almost a year that I cut entirely! Removing that character and the group they were associated with from the story was definitely needed in hindsight. It was an incorrect fit, but it had been an early idea and a pillar a lot of things were built around. I'm pleased with myself that I could see past the parts I liked and take out future problems by the roots. It makes me feel a bit more confident that perhaps I can pull this more ambitious project project off.

The three leading characters have continued to develop as well. There's one who is particularly formed in my mind- this character even has a name! That's an amazing step. The other two leads have a lot going for them too. One went through some big changes lately and got new qualities this month. I think I'm at a point where I'll mainly be adding more and more to what they have rather than removing and replacing parts of them. I think people are gonna like them

And that's everything for this month's Project W ramble!
god I saw lunar and nearly had a heart attack thinking it was 1.4.6.

Ttuvu!

Sep 26, 2024
Yeah, this whole discord situation sounds like a real mess. I get why ya'll frustrated - it's not easy to see drama unfold in a community you care about. The dev seems like they're trying to handle things, but maybe not in the smoothest way. It's tough when you're dealing with personal conflicts and trying to keep a game project on track at the same time.

I can see why Rose stepping back might feel like too little, too late for some. But at least it's something, you know? It's a tricky balance between standing by your team and listening to valid concerns from players.

At the end of the day, they're all just people trying to figure this stuff out. If you need to step away for your own peace of mind, that's totally fair. For those sticking around, hopefully things settle down and everyone can refocus on what made the game cool in the first place.

It sucks when drama overshadows the actual game, but maybe some good can come out of it if they learn how to handle this kind of thing better in the future. Who knows, maybe with time things will smooth over. But yeah, I get why some are feeling done with it all. Sometimes you just gotta make the call that's right for you.

Reactions: Eemiikremk

lovelyautumn

Formerly 'shortdegenerate'
Nov 27, 2021
while we're here waiting for the next beta who or what do y'all imagine the characters voices sounding like?
tamarack's voice would be the definition of squeaky and high for me, especially with how many exclamation marks her sentences end with lmao. qiu's i can imagine is a more smoother and leveled out voice, with the capacity to sound big and loud but also soft if that makes sense

Eemiikremk

Mar 18, 2022
I'm VERY curious about Qiu's voice, it's probably gonna be very smooth but also cool when emotional moments are involved, when he's angry or frustrated for example. (Im particularly curious about step 2 honestly, since Qiu looks very much like "annoyed cool teenager kid" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ).

Tamarack's voice, I imagine it being soft and very calm during step two onwards. As a kid, probably very loud and high voice, I think hahahah.

OAKGUYLOL1

Sep 6, 2024
honestly for me, Tamarack would also have an extremely high pitched squeaky voice, but for Qui idk why but the voice that popped into my head was steven universe

Airece

Jul 23, 2023
so apparently the bug report for 1.4.6 was opened literally a minute ago in the discord idk if theyre gonna release the beta tonight or tomorrow?

Airece

Jul 23, 2023
I might have a problem with being obsessed with this game cuz I keep seeing posts right as they come up. Anyways 1.4.6 suggestion thread is up on patreon so its probably gonna release today.

5.00 star(s) 13 Votes