Outlining in 2D Art, your opinions?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
What is your opinion and what do you like the most, personally?

From what I can remember, I have only seen two styles of outlining: Black outline and a darker outline of the palette used (for instance if your skin is #ffdcc6 the outline would be something like #cca389).

For the stuff I draw currently, I use a very soft outline (#ffdcc6 palette, #f2d0bb outline), visible but not too much to stand out, although I am considering a plain black outlining for my future projects, so I would like to hear your opinions!

W65

May 31, 2018
Isn't that kinda decided by your overall visual style? I mean, I'm not a 2D artist, but shouldn't you go with what you think looks best, and maybe supplement that with the occasional side-by-side comparison? You might have better feedback if you were to show a side-by-side comparison, because that'd let people give feedback on the outlining as it relates to the rest of your visuals. Maybe show folks part of a scene with one particular character outlined in both of the styles that you're trying, and then let people either pick one or give freeform feedback. Also, if you're trying to mimic the visual style of another medium (comic books, flash animation, whatever), that's kinda going to play into it, too.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
With soft outlining:
fjd1.png

With black outlining (The face/penis is not outlined because it was a quick edit i did rn as an example):
fjd2.png