Daz Overly-white/gray surface / material zones

ABaaaadIdea

Aug 7, 2018
Hi all!

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my face, ear and lip surfaces:
2021-1-16 Face Lip Ear material problem.png

I've
1) restarted my pc and DAZ to see if it's a memory issue in the GPU ... no luck
2) compared the shader settings for those surfaces that are working with those that are not ... all the percentages are the same
3) checked that I'm using matching textures (these are adjusted in photoshop from the originals, so in theory, I could have accidentally applied mismatching arm diffuse textures, or a leg diffuse where an arm should go) ... everything's correct

Any ideas?

Please and thank you in advance!

ABaaaadIdea

Aug 7, 2018
Also, using the same shader settings but a different set of textures I get this:

2021-1-16 Guhzcoituz head 100, My Body 50 + Guhzcoituz 100 body; Vanilla MarcosGAB textures.png

... however, the textures have been tweaked to the same values from originals that're used in the below "vanilla" render:

2021-1-16 Guhzcoituz head 100, My Body 50 + Guhzcoituz 100 body; RoTR+25 textures.png

ABaaaadIdea

Aug 7, 2018
An Update: it looks like file size might be the issue - I've been using png's and the face texture is nearly 5mbs. When I saved as a medium-grade jpg @ 2mbs the shader worked ... I'd like to use this size of file, so, does anyone know if there's a way to increase what DAZ will accept or whether there even is a ceiling on size?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
An Update: it looks like file size might be the issue - I've been using png's and the face texture is nearly 5mbs. When I saved as a medium-grade jpg @ 2mbs the shader worked ... I'd like to use this size of file, so, does anyone know if there's a way to increase what DAZ will accept or whether there even is a ceiling on size?
Weird. I've used retarded huge ass textures (from ~40mb to around ~300mb) for a while and never had a problem. Havn't render with Iray for a while, possible they broke something but I'm doubtful :unsure:.

Could be wrong but something something on your workflow if I had a guess.

ABaaaadIdea

Aug 7, 2018
No_Name Thank you for the reply!
I mean, I've always used large textures, too ... I'm actually wondering if it isn't something on Microsoft/NVidia's end, as my renders have gone back to making my system largely unresponsive while they process. I'll update in a few days when the next system updates come out.

But more than happy to get feedback on my workflow! :
- Use this particular shader from a character I liked - which has worked countless times before
- put each diffuse texture into photoshop, copy the layer, make tweaks (change brightness, hue etc), name both that layer and the png I save out from it the values I adjusted, and then load one at a time to the given shader entries.

My update from earlier today came after I took the misbehaving diff png, put it into photoshop and re-saved it out as a medium-density jpg, and then loaded it back in to all relevant shader inputs ... giving the normal results seen in photo #3

Would love to know if anyone else has any thoughts?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
No_Name Thank you for the reply!
I mean, I've always used large textures, too ... I'm actually wondering if it isn't something on Microsoft/NVidia's end, as my renders have gone back to making my system largely unresponsive while they process. I'll update in a few days when the next system updates come out.

But more than happy to get feedback on my workflow! :
- Use this particular shader from a character I liked - which has worked countless times before
- put each diffuse texture into photoshop, copy the layer, make tweaks (change brightness, hue etc), name both that layer and the png I save out from it the values I adjusted, and then load one at a time to the given shader entries.

My update from earlier today came after I took the misbehaving diff png, put it into photoshop and re-saved it out as a medium-density jpg, and then loaded it back in to all relevant shader inputs ... giving the normal results seen in photo #3

Would love to know if anyone else has any thoughts?
I remember PS swapping my color profile without my consent (fuck you), but not to that extent tbh.
I mostly use Lightroom for texture tweaks, outside alpha channel it's kinda alright (and seamless).

Did you try to change the format? JPG->PNG, or use another software like GIMP just for the sake/test of it?
Not an expert on those software tho

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I've run into problems with textures implemented as PNG's in a number of different ways in Daz Studio. Two possible items - does the PNG have any kind of alpha channel, or is it perhaps using an oddball color profile? When you convert a PNG to a JPG, both of those will typically go away, which might be why the JPG's work and the PNG's don't. JPG's just work better as textures in Daz Studio, in my experience. (As one example, Scene Optimizer frequent fails trying to down-size PNG textures - you tend to get an all-black result.)

In theory, you ought to be able to take the PNG, save it as a "same dimensions" JPG, with the JPG quality turned way up, and get results that are indistinguishable from your PNG.

Alternately, take the PNG, ensure there's no alpha channel, make sure it uses the sRGB color profile and re-save and see if that fixes it.