Parody poll

What perspective and type of character would be ideal in a parody?

• Original MC being MC

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Canon or side character being MC

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Developer invented character being MC

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Perspective 3rd Person

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Perspective POV

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters
Feb 19, 2020
Just a little poll about what people would like to see from a parody ideally.
Just fishing to see what popular opinion is.
Look down at what Meaning Less is saying he explains it perfectly.

Last edited:

OsamiWorks

May 24, 2020
Just a little poll about what people would like to see from a parody ideally.
Just fishing to see what popular opinion is.
Your perspective is entirely dependent on the story you want to tell and really doesn't matter. You'll probably want to tell it from the MC's perspective for a lot of reasons, telling a story through a side character is a harder option since it requires a stronger understanding of what you are even writing about. Third person omniscient for vomit drafts, that way you can write "this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened" for when you go about picking that apart for a first draft. Then from your vomit draft you have a base to determine what you'd like for narration in the first draft and you can change that to whatever you want as long as its consistent throughout.

First person limited, from the mc's point of view is the best option imo

Reactions: woody554

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
To make this clear since OP did a poor job explaining and I see people confused already, here are the two questions he seems to be asking:
type of character
1) I.e. Mario as the mc for a Mario parody
2) I.e. Yoshi or another side character as mc for a Mario parody
3) I.e. A completely new and unexistent mc in a Mario parody.
perspective
a) Third person, camera following main character
b) first person POV, character eyes will be the camera.

Imo 2a sounds better because you can explore an existing side character further and won't be limited to POV angles.

Feb 19, 2020
To make this clear since OP did a poor job explaining and I see people confused already, here are the two questions he seems to be asking:
type of character
1) I.e. Mario as the mc for a Mario parody
2) I.e. Yoshi or another side character as mc for a Mario parody
3) I.e. A completely new and unexistent mc in a Mario parody.
perspective
a) Third person, camera following main character
b) first person POV, character eyes will be the camera.

Imo 2a sounds better because you can explore an existing side character further and won't be limited to POV angles.
Aye did a crap job soz fellows ,follow this post.
I Will update main accordingly
Was leaning towards third person personally just put the poll up cause I found a few people that wanted POV angles(Mainly for a Resident Evil game,We all know who the girl is lol) wanted to see how representative they were.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020
Your perspective is entirely dependent on the story you want to tell and really doesn't matter. You'll probably want to tell it from the MC's perspective for a lot of reasons, telling a story through a side character is a harder option since it requires a stronger understanding of what you are even writing about. Third person omniscient for vomit drafts, that way you can write "this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened" for when you go about picking that apart for a first draft. Then from your vomit draft you have a base to determine what you'd like for narration in the first draft and you can change that to whatever you want as long as its consistent throughout.

First person limited, from the mc's point of view is the best option imo
I Did a rubbish job explaining it.Look at Meaning Well’s post for what I actually meant to say sorry.
You gave very good advice though that everyone should follow and I thank you for it.

Last edited:

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I suppose it depends on the story you want to tell. I absolutely hated the comic parody of back to the future with a female mc fucking the doc because that misses the obvious mom/son story it was always meant to be. but on the other hand I'd looove to see a star wars story from the perspective of c-3po and r2d2, the enslaved conscious machines which are bought/sold and taken apart by the 'good guys' with zero fucks given, which would make a great story of them planning to destroy the humans from the galaxy.

so it 100% depends on the story you want to tell. whatever works best.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
It really depends on the parody honestly. Like I wouldn't mind playing as lets say Aladdin, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to play as Steven from Steven Universe. But generally I think OC's as protags leave more wiggle room for narrative since you get rid of the issue of the original stories MC's personality.

tpopop

Feb 26, 2020
I'd say it really depends on the parody's source material and how it's done. They aren't all the same. For example, a parody of Konosuba would be better if the MC was Kazuma like in the anime/manga as he fits perfectly into the H role, but someone like Deku from MHA wouldn't be a very good MC to work with.

If you could narrow down the parody you have in mind and lay out what you wanted it to be like, you would get some more concrete answers

Beatrix Kiddo

Donor
Aug 25, 2016
Depends on the source material. But generally speaking I prefer an OC, you're less restricted as to what you can do with the character. It also leaves the self-insert door open for those who like that.

As for perspective, I think a mix of both is always the best bet.

On a side note, other than the MC I never understood why some devs put OC in their parody games. If I'm playing a parody game is to get some content with the characters we all know, not some random fanfic characters I couldn't care less about.

Last edited:

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Depends on the source of your parody, and what plans do you have. Generally, I would go for MC being MC (it's a parody after all) and third person perspective.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I like it when a shitty/useless side character gets some powers and bangs all the females and cucks the original MC lol.