[R>Writer] Share Passing Through, a New Game

Maniacal Knight

Dec 16, 2023
Project:
Hey everyone! Welcome to the recruitment call to join the team creating Passing Through. Passing Through is a game about a 18 year old boy who just got kicked out of a group home because of overcrowding but there is a silver lining. Before getting kicked out he was told that his late father left him a letter for when he turns 18. Long story short, he left you his house... 5 years ago... Since then vagrants have ransacked the place and you will need to fix it up if you want to move in. Build relationships with the people of Grayton and see where it goes.

Later you find out that your father was some kind of scientist for the government and hidden in the house he left you, there lies a machine... The machine is able to scan relics from different times periods and place your conciousness within a person during that time. Throughout the base game you will need to find ways to acquire these relics, be that stealing them or buying them.

The idea of Passing Through is that the game will essentially be broken up into modules. There will be the base game which is about the above mentioned character, Adam, and then there will be different times that can be travelled to such as Wild West, Feudal Japan, 80's etc. As new time periods are unlocked, you will be able to launch directly into them from the main menu. I know this sounds big, but that is why it was divided into modules. So that we can focus on one piece at a time.

Currently I have a rough overview of how I would like to story to play out up to the reveal of the first time period. Over the past couple of weeks I have been working on the core logic of the various systems in Unity. I have already created a working Character System, Location System (traversing a town map, different areas in buildings etc), Day/Night Cycle System, Inventory, Quest/Mission System, Dialogue System with Full Rollback, Save System etc.

Developer:
I am a professional Game Developer. I work with Unity in my full-time job on a unannounced AAA game from a mid-size studio (~100 people). I really like adult games and have been playing them for 10+ years but I have read a lot about how rocky the development of these games are which is why I haven't tried my hand at one. But I decided to try it out now that I feel I have more experience in game development.

I can be reached through here as well as discord @maniacalknight

Looking for:
Artists and Writers

Employment Type:
This is the important part to most people and I will be upfront about it. I can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars/euros/pounds to people without the game being in a state of making some money. If push comes to shove I can maybe scrape something together for an artist but in all honesty it won't be much.

The ideal situation would be a revenue share of the income made from all platforms the game will be on. For fairness the share should reflect the workload. But with revenue share it's also hard to determine when to stop. For example if people keep joining then everyone's share keeps getting smaller. So my suggestion would be that the core team (the team with which the game takes flight initially) would be the ones who partake in revenue share. If the game reaches a point of making enough to hire extra people, then their fixed costs would first be deducted and then the remainder shared as per the agreed amounts.

Work commitment:
This will be long term but this can also be flexible. Again because of the module nature it could be that you could join for a single module.

Preferred method of contact:
As mentioned previously I can be reached through here as well as discord @maniacalknight

Job Description:
Artist - I am looking for either 2D Artists or 3D Artists. I am pretty open to the style of the game in general, although I prefer a more western style (ie not too Anime-ish). I am fine with 2D, stylized 3D, full realistic 3D etc. I understand that art is a very time consuming job and would help out where I can to make things easier (I am not a artist but for 3D I can for example help with rendering since I have a decent system). For stylized 3D we could also make use of 3rd-party assets for environments and directly do 3D within Unity Engine. The main focus point is anyways usually the characters and therefore we could use lower quality environments for faster turnaround time. I am very flexible and have lots of ideas in this regard. I am looking for someone who is committed. I am not looking to chain you down but if you are someone who usually flakes after a few weeks because of losing interest then I would kindly ask that you don't apply :)

Writers - I am looking ideally for more than one writer. I feel like due to the module nature of the game it would be cool to have different writers working on different modules (bringing their own styles to it) . Ofcourse it should be somewhat coherent and not a complete mish-mash of quality. But for that we can look at working with a editor at a later stage. I have an idea of the direction I would like the game to go but I feel like I would need to discuss with you first what your expectations are with regards to who has what authority when it comes to the story.

Additional comments:
Ideally I would like to set up a GitHub repo for the Unity Project and have everyone in the team (who wants to), interact directly with the Unity Project. If you don't know how to use it, don't fret I would be more than happy to help you get to know what you need to know. But this would essentially also ensure that everyone has access to all facets of the project.

Thank you for reading through this long post and I look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,
Maniacal Knight

Last edited:

dacomdacom

Jan 14, 2022
>The ideal situation would be a revenue share of the income made from all platforms the game will be on.
Does that mean platforms like steam and itch - meaning revenue share kicks in *after* the game is released?
Or do you mean platforms like patreon - where revenue share kicks in *during* development?

Are you willing and able to pay a team member's share using crypto?

Just to get an idea for what you have in mind. What "category" does your project fit most into? Visual novel / RPGMaker type / free character movement in 3d world with occasional sex scene CGs?

What are the most "deviant" fetishes that you are planning to include?

What is your estimate of how many character sprites + backgrounds + full screen CGs are required for the first "module" to be released?

I am interested to join as a 2d artist.
... I am not sure if it is bad manners to fill f95's servers with duplicates of file uploads - if you go on my profile and look for "latest activity" you can see the hand full of samples I posted recently.

In any case, good luck!

kinrean

May 12, 2018
i am confuse with your need / mix of 2d and 3d , is this like a side scroller game you trying to do a 2.5 d game?
or a vn game which just show image.
i think you should be more detail of the use of 2d and 3d and type of game it is.

Maniacal Knight

Dec 16, 2023
>The ideal situation would be a revenue share of the income made from all platforms the game will be on.
Does that mean platforms like steam and itch - meaning revenue share kicks in *after* the game is released?
Or do you mean platforms like patreon - where revenue share kicks in *during* development?
I would say that Patreon makes most sense for the start. Since I don't think a waiting for a full release before starting to compensate people makes sense or is free. But once the game gets closer to a full release, then I would look at putting it on Steam/Itch.

Are you willing and able to pay a team member's share using crypto?
I have never paid anyone with crypto for their services but I am more than willing to look into it.

Just to get an idea for what you have in mind. What "category" does your project fit most into? Visual novel / RPGMaker type / free character movement in 3d world with occasional sex scene CGs?
What I have in mind is in the direction of Space Rescue: Code Pink, Summertime Saga style where you have a map and you can freely go to different locations, speak to people and have scenes come up. I am not looking to make a game where you have full 3D control of a character. More in the point-and-click/visual novel/sandbox direction.

What are the most "deviant" fetishes that you are planning to include?
Most deviant? Hmm I am not sure what is considered the most deviant. Besides not wanting to go into extremes like rape/incest etc. I am pretty open. If you like furry stuff (I looked at your art (will comment on that down below)), I would say I am open to there being some characters you encounter in later modules having some animal/alien traits. For example there might be some mythical/fantasy characters you encounter in a forest in the Feudal Japan module. But I wouldn't want the game to be completely furry.

Other than that most common tags would be there Sex, Anal, Voyeurism, Footjob, Handjob, Exhibitionism, MILF, Masturbation, Oral sex, Titfuck, Cosplay, BDSM etc.

What is your estimate of how many character sprites + backgrounds + full screen CGs are required for the first "module" to be released?
It's tough to say for a full module, but for the first release I would guess around:
Character Sprites: 100-150 (don't all different characters but just some different poses etc)
Backgrounds: 75-100
I don't know exactly if full screen CG's will be needed. I will need to discuss best workflow with the artist because I can make different things work in the engine. For example for backgrounds, if you make a rather light (in color) looking drawing, I could use 2D lighting in Unity to make the background work for morning/afternoon/evening without you having to draw one for each time of day. We could also do backgrounds by rendering stylized 3D assets if you would prefer to focus on character sprites. I will attach a placeholder one I rendered for testing (keep in mind it was done very fast so rendering quality etc can be improved + made to look more 2D than 3D using blender shaders).

I am interested to join as a 2d artist.
Awesome! I looked at your art and it looks really good! Do you have any color drawings for reference?

I look forward to hearing from you :)

Maniacal Knight

Dec 16, 2023
i am confuse with your need / mix of 2d and 3d , is this like a side scroller game you trying to do a 2.5 d game?
or a vn game which just show image.
i think you should be more detail of the use of 2d and 3d and type of game it is.
Hey! Sorry for the confusion. I meant that I am open to the game being either 2D OR 3D. I wasn't meaning that I want a blend of the two. Although in the reply above I mentioned that stylized 3D renders can be used for backgrounds if a 2D artist would like to focus on characters and such :)