Patch for you know what

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Hi guys and girls (we can only hope)

Can you tell me how I can create a patch for Ren'py in which I replace a variable, for example and incest patch?
I am currently writing the script and I want to know how it must be built from this point of view so that it will support a patch upon release.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
secret built-in incest option
If player uses names on... Incest_name_list use incest dialog
If standard names, use vanilla dialog

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
If you allow the player to name the characters... they can choose to name them mom, sister, aunt, cousin, etc. Instant Incest.
Well, that will ensue shitty writing, though.
If you actually name the characters mom, sister etc. then you can't write proper dialogue of them talking to other people, because those people would use the name the player gave those characters. Imagine some random NPC talking to your mom and calling her mom. That would surely be a wtf moment.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
Hi guys and girls (we can only hope)

Can you tell me how I can create a patch for Ren'py in which I replace a variable, for example and incest patch?
I am currently writing the script and I want to know how it must be built from this point of view so that it will support a patch upon release.
You could try this and it is easy to change, taken from a game on here, the original one reads True and the second is changed with wordpad to False. Then in game you will have you no what.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Well, that will ensue shitty writing, though.
If you actually name the characters mom, sister etc. then you can't write proper dialogue of them talking to other people, because those people would use the name the player gave those characters. Imagine some random NPC talking to your mom and calling her mom. That would surely be a wtf moment.
hmmm Each character can have their own name.
"Hi I'm Sarah, what would you like to call me?"
Mommy
"Oh you naughty boy, Ok I'm your Mommy"

This gets you past the censors, because it's implied that it's role-playing, rather than true incest.
NPCs will still call your mommy Sarah

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
hmmm Each character can have their own name.
"Hi I'm Sarah, what would you like to call me?"
Mommy
"Oh you naughty boy, Ok I'm your Mommy"

This gets you past the censors, because it's implied that it's role-playing, rather than true incest.
NPCs will still call your mommy Sarah
Then it's not her name though, which was my point to begin with.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
And the alternative is? I'd very much appreciate
Either or

Depending of what you intend to do and the number of lines you'll have to change, the say_menu_text_filter mentioned in the first thread or the code from the second one, are better.

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Either or

Depending of what you intend to do and the number of lines you'll have to change, the say_menu_text_filter mentioned in the first thread or the code from the second one, are better.
Thank you mate

Cohibozz

Aug 14, 2018
In the game that I'm building at start u can choice: name and relationship

Ie:
Sally, Roommate
Can be
Sarah, Mom

So u can call Sarah as your Mom or simply Sarah

The NPC call her always with name

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
In the game that I'm building at start u can choice: name and relationship

Ie:
Sally, Roommate
Can be
Sarah, Mom

So u can call Sarah as your Mom or simply Sarah
So, what will be the result for dialog lines ? Will they looks like this, "I can't do that, I'm your Sarah", or like that, "I can't do that, I'm your Roommate" ?

It's never this easy to patch a game for a relation change. There's one game here (don't remember its name right now) where you can change "father's girlfriend" to "mother". But when you talk to her about your now sisters, you always refer them as her daughters, never as your sisters. And it give a really weird result.

It's also true for the reactions the character will have. While a landlady can eventually consider that it's bad to have an intimate relation with her tenant, there's nothing preventing the daughter of the said landlady, or your roommate, to have it with you. Still it's what happen in most of the games.
You don't just need to change the word used to describe the relation, you also need to change the reason for the reaction. By example, in the taboo edition, the girl will be reluctant because she's your sister, and in the "cleaned" edition, she'll be reluctant because her previous relationship ended few times ago and she don't feel like starting a new one right now. And this mean that you'll have sometimes to change a whole sentence, not just a word. Which will lead to :
  • [taboo] "Are you crazy ? I'll not touch your dick, I'm your sister !"
  • [cleaned] "I'm not ready for a new relation right now, so I'll not touch your dick."
This "cleaned" version being way more believable than the average, "are you crazy ? I'll not touch your dick, I'm your roommate !"

Gold613

Sep 21, 2016
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

EXACTLY THIS !! Every time I start a game or place a patch over something and the Dialogue starts and I see roommate or landlady or whatever crap I just cringe because it murders the whole dialogue story for me, it makes no sense, "but we can't, i am your roommate " And I am like yeah like THAT stopped ANYONE before. I get it is a way to try and counter over the crappy censorship that was forced upon creators, I like it however when given the choice for names and relation, There was a game on here iirc that still is being further developed where you can choose the relation and it automatically changes some dialogues if you choose sister or mom ( so basically by naming the relation sister or mom it sort of automatically applies the "patch" with slightly different dialogues ) it is not mentioned or said anything about it on patreon. If and when I find it again I will gladly link it. Not saying it is perfect but it is a good idea, simply for 2 reasons the story is the same and stays the same just some dialogues will be different which imo is not that much extra work but I am not a programmer or a dev so what would I know.

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018

EXACTLY THIS !! Every time I start a game or place a patch over something and the Dialogue starts and I see roommate or landlady or whatever crap I just cringe because it murders the whole dialogue story for me, it makes no sense, "but we can't, i am your roommate " And I am like yeah like THAT stopped ANYONE before. I get it is a way to try and counter over the crappy censorship that was forced upon creators, I like it however when given the choice for names and relation, There was a game on here iirc that still is being further developed where you can choose the relation and it automatically changes some dialogues if you choose sister or mom ( so basically by naming the relation sister or mom it sort of automatically applies the "patch" with slightly different dialogues ) it is not mentioned or said anything about it on patreon. If and when I find it again I will gladly link it. Not saying it is perfect but it is a good idea, simply for 2 reasons the story is the same and stays the same just some dialogues will be different which imo is not that much extra work but I am not a programmer or a dev so what would I know.
Regarding how to structure the dialog it is tricky but not impossible. I found a way and I am going to try it but you are right on how to structure the entire dialog and not to sound retarded. As you said, she is his roommate but he can't bang her as it is not appropriate. Why? Because the rent will go up :))))

Reactions: OGRey and Gold613

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
So, what will be the result for dialog lines ? Will they looks like this, "I can't do that, I'm your Sarah", or like that, "I can't do that, I'm your Roommate" ?

It's never this easy to patch a game for a relation change. There's one game here (don't remember its name right now) where you can change "father's girlfriend" to "mother". But when you talk to her about your now sisters, you always refer them as her daughters, never as your sisters. And it give a really weird result.

It's also true for the reactions the character will have. While a landlady can eventually consider that it's bad to have an intimate relation with her tenant, there's nothing preventing the daughter of the said landlady, or your roommate, to have it with you. Still it's what happen in most of the games.
You don't just need to change the word used to describe the relation, you also need to change the reason for the reaction. By example, in the taboo edition, the girl will be reluctant because she's your sister, and in the "cleaned" edition, she'll be reluctant because her previous relationship ended few times ago and she don't feel like starting a new one right now. And this mean that you'll have sometimes to change a whole sentence, not just a word. Which will lead to :
  • [taboo] "Are you crazy ? I'll not touch your dick, I'm your sister !"
  • [cleaned] "I'm not ready for a new relation right now, so I'll not touch your dick."
This "cleaned" version being way more believable than the average, "are you crazy ? I'll not touch your dick, I'm your roommate !"
Yep it this right. Anyway, I have to do a check over to see if the dialog is well structured because there may be players who will not want to install an incest patch and play the game like it is. It has to be something legit for both sides.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It has to be something legit for both sides.
That's in fact the biggest part of the problem. Once you've found why the girl will be reluctant on the cleaned version, it will be easier to found what will be the best way to make the patch. I mean that you'll know if you'll really need to change whole sentences or if you can deal with just small changes.

In the first case, it's probably better to use something like what @bossapplesauce use for his incest mods, like by example.
You can even extend it if there's really many strings to change. Something like this :
patch.rpy
Code:
init python:
    tabooLabelStrings = {}

tabooLabelsList = []
    # Here's the list of all the labels that need a special change.
    tabooLabelsList.extend( [ "intro_presentation", "another_label", "yet_another_one" ] )
    # You can extend it in more than one line for a better readability
    tabooLabelsList.extend( [ "oh_look_a_label", "guess_what" ] )

# Here you'll temporarily hijkack the labels defined above.
    for l in tabooLabelsList:
        config.label_overrides[l] = "taboo_" + l
        config.label_overrides["return_" + l ] = l

#  You can combine this with the function used by bossapplesauce or another
    # method for generic changes like "mom" Vs "Landlady"
    def tabooFilter( txt ):
        if txt in tabooLabelStrings:
            return tabooLabelStrings[txt]

return txt

config.say_menu_text_filter = tabooFilter

label taboo_intro_presentation:
    # Here you define the dialog lines to change in THIS label.
    $ tabooLabelStrings = {
        "A full dialog line that need to be changed": "The incest version of this line",
        "Another full dialog line to changed": "The related incest version" }

# Then you return to the normal flow of the game.
    jump return_intro_presentation
It need a little more works, but this way you have a dialogs that really feel right in regard of the relation between the characters.
Like the list of lines to change is defined at the start of each label where a change is needed, it will stay with an acceptable size. And like the "official" labels are just hijacked, the patch can be added/removed at any time without conflict or problem.

In the second case, if you achieved to have small changes in the dialog, you can use a variable (the string patcher I linked above or another method) and do regular substitution :
Code:
    "You are [string] at me like that !"
[taboo] "You are my brother, so stop looking at me like that !"
[cleaned] "You are just my roommate, but it's not a reason to look at me like that !"

Anyway, whatever the solution used, it's necessary to always think about the dialog lines with the two cases in mind. You write it in its taboo version, then immediately think about what will be the cleaned version ; or the opposite.
This way, you'll immediately know what need to be changed and what's the best way to do it. You'll also detect if in fact it can't be changed and that you need to rethink what will be said.

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
That's in fact the biggest part of the problem. Once you've found why the girl will be reluctant on the cleaned version, it will be easier to found what will be the best way to make the patch. I mean that you'll know if you'll really need to change whole sentences or if you can deal with just small changes.

In the first case, it's probably better to use something like what @bossapplesauce use for his incest mods, like by example.
You can even extend it if there's really many strings to change. Something like this :
patch.rpy
Code:
init python:
    tabooLabelStrings = {}

tabooLabelsList = []
    # Here's the list of all the labels that need a special change.
    tabooLabelsList.extend( [ "intro_presentation", "another_label", "yet_another_one" ] )
    # You can extend it in more than one line for a better readability
    tabooLabelsList.extend( [ "oh_look_a_label", "guess_what" ] )

# Here you'll temporarily hijkack the labels defined above.
    for l in tabooLabelsList:
        config.label_overrides[l] = "taboo_" + l
        config.label_overrides["return_" + l ] = l

#  You can combine this with the function used by bossapplesauce or another
    # method for generic changes like "mom" Vs "Landlady"
    def tabooFilter( txt ):
        if txt in tabooLabelStrings:
            return tabooLabelStrings[txt]

return txt

config.say_menu_text_filter = tabooFilter

label taboo_intro_presentation:
    # Here you define the dialog lines to change in THIS label.
    $ tabooLabelStrings = {
        "A full dialog line that need to be changed": "The incest version of this line",
        "Another full dialog line to changed": "The related incest version" }

# Then you return to the normal flow of the game.
    jump return_intro_presentation
It need a little more works, but this way you have a dialogs that really feel right in regard of the relation between the characters.
Like the list of lines to change is defined at the start of each label where a change is needed, it will stay with an acceptable size. And like the "official" labels are just hijacked, the patch can be added/removed at any time without conflict or problem.

In the second case, if you achieved to have small changes in the dialog, you can use a variable (the string patcher I linked above or another method) and do regular substitution :
Code:
    "You are [string] at me like that !"
[taboo] "You are my brother, so stop looking at me like that !"
[cleaned] "You are just my roommate, but it's not a reason to look at me like that !"

Anyway, whatever the solution used, it's necessary to always think about the dialog lines with the two cases in mind. You write it in its taboo version, then immediately think about what will be the cleaned version ; or the opposite.
This way, you'll immediately know what need to be changed and what's the best way to do it. You'll also detect if in fact it can't be changed and that you need to rethink what will be said.

Thank you mate. I will do my best
I will work on it while listening on :