Patch installation

sandmantx

Aug 4, 2020
Various games provide patches but not many provide instructions. Is the name of the patch, i.e. patch.rp or .rpy critical or can it be "game X patch.rp" as long as it is in the right location?

Thanks for any answers.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Right. But does the name matter?
Whatever name the patch is named is what works. You do not need to rename any patches unless you are instructed to in a readme.txt or similar.

Also, know that in a good number of situations, developers aren't making or providing the patches for their games. Someone else not affiliated with the game is making/providing them.

Same with mods for games.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
just a reminder renpy will look for any rpy files first then rpyc last so if any patch with only with rpy it should work regardless

rp don't know what is but you should ask this in the renpy forums for the best answer about it I know that rp is for Axure RP bit that's all I know

RandyTyr

Game Developer
Apr 30, 2021
It depends on how the patch works. A Renpy game could be testing whether a file called "patch.rpy" exists. In this case, renaming it would break it. If the patch works via some code inside patch.rpy, the name wouldn't matter.