Patreon Is Hardening Their 'Adult Content' Guidelines. Discussion Thread

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
EDIT BY @Bloo Please discuss all the new Patreon guidelines here. Direct people talking in game section to this thread. Thank you.

So, at least one developer has had their account suspended today by Patreon for including incest in his game.

So that everyone here is aware, here are the updated Patreon guidelines as of yesterday (October 17th)

Adult Patreon Community Guidelines

Last updated: October 17, 2017
We have zero tolerance when it comes to the glorification of sexual violence which includes bestiality, rape, and child exploitation (i.e., sexualized depiction of minors). This is true for illustrated, animated, or any other type of content. Patreon reserves the right to review and remove accounts that may violate this guideline. As a strong commitment to child safety, we will work with law enforcement whenever we come across child exploitation.

We also do not allow other fringe sexual fetish content, such as incest, necrophilia, or fetish content that is hard to distinguish from non-consensual sex.

We understand that some topics on this list such as incest or rape are a little bit more complicated because these situations are, unfortunately, part of real life. As a result, when reviewing this type of content, the Trust and Safety Team will take into account context including personal, historical, or educational narrative. For example, survivor stories or fiction such as Game Of Thrones or Lolita are allowed on Patreon.
My suggestion to you is that, if you have any such content in your games, that you start contemplating 'sanitized' versions for Patreon releases, perhaps with 'full' versions being made available via other means...

The 'we will work with law enforcement' part could be an issue...

It'd suck to see your revenue stream disappear. Sure, you can play the lottery if you have any objectionable content (as far as Patreon is concerned), but watching your income stream suddenly disappear would suck.

Food for thought...

Edit: Added third paragraph that wasn't shared before. The 'Fictional' context does make this murky...

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
We also do not allow other fringe sexual fetish content, such as incest, necrophilia, or fetish content that is hard to distinguish from non-consensual sex.
This is surprisingly vague and imprecise as worded because of the serial commas. Are they stating they do not allow incest full-stop, or are they banning incest when it becomes "hard to distinguish from non-consensual sex"...?

There are definitely some incest games out there where the dynamic is one were a person could argue that a father or brother or mother is using their position of power over a daughter or sister or son to gain sexual gratification. Some games include incest without that being the primary pursuit. But in most of the incest games the consensual aspect is pretty clear.

Definitely good food for thought... I'll be chewing away on my idea for starting a site called Party-on-dot-com that allows for such things, contacting devs directly to move their patrons to my new platform, then watching the money flow in :closedtongue:

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
Wow. If they would really ban all those games with these fetishes it would be like 90% of them less including all of the giants like BB, DMD or SS. I don't really care for incest but I'm kinda afraid how they perceive rape as many of games have their sexual content pretty violent while not being rape. Hate this situation, I despise overflow of incest in every game but I would never go so far to ban any fetish. That way devs will go underground once again

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Update:
One developer in question (Mr. Dots) was able to get his Patreon page reactivated. It looks like all references to the game title Dating My Daughter have been removed, although the abbreviation DMD is still mentioned multiple times. There are also a couple of references to 'daughter', but not in the context of 'father-daughter'. I haven't dug into his page very hard, but that's what jumps out at me.

Reactions: ponyguy and Kaparzo

Mobuis

May 27, 2017
It not just Patreon it is the FCC in the US pushing these Guide lines to all the hosting sites

Belle_Father

Jul 28, 2017
I guess the devs just have to remove any reference to such content, or hide it as a 'step-child' or some other non-blood related property and they should be fine. Concidering Mr.Dot sent out messages about this, and another game I am a Patreon to also changed every mention of daughters to step-daughters. Ah the good old nuts, where in the south cousins can marry.

Aug 24, 2017
they must leave alone incest and block all games with NTR or cuck
Hehe, yeah... block games with incest who are usually the best games overall but leave the other that are more high up on the perversity scale, like rape, ntr, bdsm, etc ?! I seem to find myself playing mostly games with incest theme/fetish not because of the incest but because most of them are better in terms of story and graphics... besides, many incest themed games also have other fetishes like the ones mentioned above, so basically if they ban games with incest content then they also must ban the other fetishes. If Patreon wants to shoot themselves in the foot, so be it ! Oh, and servers can be moved to other country/s than the US, which slowly seems that wants to be a new North Korea or something.
What the hell is this FCC thinking about ?!... did suddenly all the males in US started to bang their own moms because of the games from Patreon or something ?! I guess this can be called... A TRUMPISM. Hehehehe !

"For example, survivor stories or fiction such as Game Of Thrones or Lolita are allowed on Patreon"... does this mean that the devs can simply introduce an announcement/warning (besides the Adult 18 tag) at the beginning of the game, something like "This game/story is FICTIONAL. Any resemblance with any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental." ?!

Last edited:

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
Rape is mentioned as well so it goes as well. It's not only about incest. No point in talking about NTR which isn't forced but is a simple jealousy nor BDSM which is an act. Crappy decision that will affect whole market strongly.

Reactions: ponyguy

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Er... I agree with the underage thing, but aren't more than 50% of the adult games on Patreon incest games in a way or another ? And in the other half, there's a lot of corruption games which can be seen as "hard to distinguish from non-consensual sex".
They're shooting a bullet in their own foot by doing this. But the funny part is that they targeted DMD, while icstor have made game with way more explicit names and content. Oh, wait, his games are name "in-c story" now... I'm sure that he also have rewrote all his finished games to remove the incest content... Wait, what do you mean by, "you"re really gullible" ?

I assume we will have to deal with a lot of step-mom/sister/aunt/daugther/dad/son in the future.

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
If they would check actual content, it would be over for Patreon as a platform for erotic developers. Consensual sex isn't enough for a market. Devs would go underground until new platform would appear. That would mean 99% devs would be gone and western games would be hobbistic niche as they were years ago. The best case scenario in which paywall is enough to prevent game from being banned means that incest as a genre won't be a thing anymore and something else will have to replace it sooner or later. What a mess

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
With how things are going in the world and how things are changing i'm surprised it's taken this long.

Youtube going all "advertiser friendly" and dropping the ad revenue of anyone with questionable content and social media going all "won't someone think of the children". It was only a matter of time before Patreon caught up.

xןʞ

I trolled so N7 could soar.
Staff member
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Er... I agree with the underage thing, but aren't more than 50% of the adult games on Patreon incest games in a way or another ? And in the other half, there's a lot of corruption games which can be seen as "hard to distinguish from non-consensual sex".
They're shooting a bullet in their own foot by doing this. But the funny part is that they targeted DMD, while icstor have made game with way more explicit names and content. Oh, wait, his games are name "in-c story" now... I'm sure that he also have rewrote all his finished games to remove the incest content... Wait, what do you mean by, "you"re really gullible" ?

I assume we will have to deal with a lot of step-mom/sister/aunt/daugther/dad/son in the future.
If you actually go and have a look on Graphtreon, the vast majority of the top ranking adult games/animations are either incest or furry/bestiality.

So yeah they might as well just shut down the whole idea of adult content I guess.

Aug 24, 2017
Rape is mentioned as well so it goes as well. It's not only about incest. No point in talking about NTR which isn't forced but is a simple jealousy nor BDSM which is an act. Crappy decision that will affect whole market strongly.
I think there is a confusion here... from what I've read, NTR is something from the asian/japanese culture and it's usually a situation where you're forced due to blackmail, the need to survive or even life threatening situations to have a loved one doing a sexual act (usually without his/her and your will) while you watch, or even being restrained yourself (even your loved one too) so you cannot intervene. It's something that usually creates anger, desperation (due to the fact that you're rendered powerless because you cannot intervene), shock, fear, a psychological trauma to both the one that watches and the one being watched.
In the western culture and even in the newly asian/japanese times NTR has been watered down due to restriction so that looks more like cuckolding and there lies the confusion. NTR IS NOT CUCKOLDING. Cuckolding is done willingly... you simply like to see a loved one doing a sexual act while you watch and the loved one is also doing this willingly... and this excites the watcher, gives him/her pleasure and allows to have a quicker and/or more powerful orgasm.

Reactions: kalik and volto

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
I think there is a confusion here... from what I've read, NTR is something from the asian/japanese culture and it's usually a situation where you're forced due to blackmail, the need to survive or even life threatening situations to have a loved one doing a sexual act (usually without his/her and your will) while you watch, or even being restrained yourself (even your loved one too) so you cannot intervene. It's something that usually creates anger, desperation (due to the fact that you're rendered powerless because you cannot intervene), shock, fear, a psychological trauma to both the one that watches and the one being watched.
In the western culture and even in the newly asian/japanese times NTR has been watered down due to restriction so that looks more like cuckolding and there lies the confusion. NTR IS NOT CUCKOLDING. Cuckolding is done willingly... you simply like to see a loved one doing a sexual act while you watch and the loved one is also doing this willingly... and this excites the watcher, gives him/her pleasure and allows to have a quicker and/or more powerful orgasm.
I'm a huge fan of NTR and I play games in japanese as well. NTR has a couple of different types with jealousy as a central point. It might be rape so it would be banned as well, but usually it's just a seduction that's being unwillingly observed by a guy. He doesn't even have to be a boyfriend/husband of a girl. It's about emotions. One of the most famous games with hentai made on its base is True Blue. MC is just a childhood friend. Ofc blackmail is an often thing but I don't think they would go so far to ban it as it's always a willing act in games. All in all I don't think NTR is affected by these bans. It's not topic about it so let's stop it here. It doesn't matter what fetishes they're banning as it's always bad for players

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017
With how things are going in the world and how things are changing i'm surprised it's taken this long.

Youtube going all "advertiser friendly" and dropping the ad revenue of anyone with questionable content and social media going all "won't someone think of the children". It was only a matter of time before Patreon caught up.
Yeah... and all because of bad parenting. Because many parents these days are clueless to technology... the term "parental block" usually escapes them. They like to be able to work or have their free time while their kids are being baby sited/educated by the online jungle. And when they catch them watching/playing inappropriate content, it's everyone else's fault but never their own. So they go and whine to the authorities and thus we get... North Korea state.
This reminds me of that mom that bought GTA 5 for her 14 yo son... then said it was the store's fault or something. This is the level of ignorance that some have.

Aug 24, 2017
I'm a huge fan of NTR and I play games in japanese as well. NTR has a couple of different types with jealousy as a central point. It might be rape so it would be banned as well, but usually it's just a seduction that's being unwillingly observed by a guy. He doesn't even have to be a boyfriend/husband of a girl. It's about emotions. One of the most famous games with hentai made on its base is True Blue. MC is just a childhood friend. Ofc blackmail is an often thing but I don't think they would go so far to ban it as it's always a willing act in games. All in all I don't think NTR is affected by these bans. It's not topic about it so let's stop it here. It doesn't matter what fetishes they're banning as it's always bad for players
Not sure but won't NTR content that is included in incest games be affected as well ?! But yes, I agree that it's not about fetishes but about the ban itself.

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
Not sure but won't NTR content that is included in incest games be affected as well ?! But yes, I agree that it's not about fetishes but about the ban itself.
Ofc, if they would ban games looking at their content any game would go down with incest in it so it could be possible. But even consensual sex would go down if there would be incest in a game in that case. I was talking about NTR as a reason for ban. It's nothing about violence so it shouldn't affect. If you thought about BB then yes, if they would ban it, NTR there would be gone as well. I hate some fetishes but I'm willing to fight for your right to fap to any weird shit you wish for! \m/