Patreon or SubscribeStar?

Syploore

Jun 14, 2020
Hi y'all. I have a question. Which of these services is better for adult game developers, considering reach, convenience, censorship, and efficiency? SS or Patreon? And what do u think about each of that platforms?

Reactions: tariktokluk

Greiya Archives

first rate degenerate
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2022
Patreon's censorship policies are simultaneously too strict and too vague. Too strict: basically most things that aren't vanilla can be banned. too vague: the trust and safety team can decide anything (that isn't vanilla) is against their policy, even if it's not clearly stated in patreon's guidelines.
Putting aside the censorship, patreon is an excellent platform. But taking censorship into account, it's not a safe or stable platform for most nsfw creators.
also, anything involving nudity on a page has to be private to patrons only; essentially, putting links to public versions of your adult games anywhere on the page - whether the 'about' or public posts - is actually against their policies, but I guess they're lenient with that one, long as you don't put images of nudity or sexual content in public posts.

Subscribestar was good, but it's outright shit now. Try registering a new page as a creator, you may or may not get approved in a year. and if you do, your tiers and posts may or may not show on your page (I'm referring to a common bug they've had for creators who registered in 2022).
try contacting support with a question or something you need help with. They may respond within a month or two ... but only if they feel like it. More probably, you just won't hear back, ever. but if that happens, don't feel bad, if they did respond it wouldn't be helpful anyway...

In short, I really do wish more patreon alternatives would get popular. Cause there are decent ones without censorship, but creators (myself included) don't want to link to some subscription platform nobody has heard of, cause subscribers (including myself) don't want to subscribe on some subscription platform no one has heard of ... so they don't get popular. Plus, platforms without censorship often have less convenient payment and payout methods (cause paypal and credit card companies are both the reason patreon and other platforms had to censor), which also prevents them from growing.

Edit: Oh I went on a rant and forgot to give an answer to the original question: there's no reason to use only one platform. It takes like a few seconds to copy over a post you made on one platform to the other. Having multiple platforms is always better, the more the better in fact, cause subscribers can choose whichever one is most convenient for them. And, if one platform ends up having a problem with your content, you can just ditch that platform, and you don't lose much.

Last edited:

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
The answer is both. Patreon as the primary source and SS as a backup. Patreon is just a lot more popular, even if they do have stricter rules.

I have been wondering if Onlyfans and those types of sites are viable alternatives though.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Both, obviously.
As well as any other reliable site you can find such as, probably; .
The more of them you have the better. More backups for you, more ways to support for the people, win-win.

And in fact, you don't really need to stop only at payment processing sites.
You could research mobile payment systems for example, and how you could integrate those with your game.
Quite a few mmorpgs use them after all. :whistle::coffee:

Last edited:
Reactions: DoctorPervic