Patreon rates webcomic "El Goonish Shive" 18+

PeggyBlackett

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
Patreon has rated Dan Shive's , which is about as PG-13 a comic as exists, 18+.

EGS is a comic about a bunch of teens who are involved with magic, aliens and a LOT of gender-bending.

But there's no actual nudity, no particularly NSFW language, and the only sex there's been so far is off-screen and [strongly] implied.

:

I don't entirely point my accusing finger at Patreon for this. I doubt they actually want to do anything restrictive. They have to work with other companies and such to function, however, and some of those call for things like this.

I also don't blame them for not having a list in advance of what's not okay. They can't possibly list everything, and someone could totally do something that's an obvious issue while being able to say "but it wasn't on that very specific list!"

Plus, can you imagine such a list? That'd be a read o_o

That said, on a case by case basis, they could be more specific, and I'm mostly frustrated that I'll be guessing as to what does and doesn't need to be "Patrons Only".

On the plus side, while I don't want to suddenly start posting things that'll make people gasp and monocles to fly off, if we are stuck with this, at least I can post things without worrying "is that a bit much" or whatever.

On the negative, BOY did I have a stressful weekend. I actually woke up to the news that they'd decided this on Friday, and I couldn't think of a singular NP beyond things like this. I wanted to do something different for Monday (and thought of something, well, Monday), because I was hoping something might change, but I'm not confident anything will at this point.
I think Dan might be amazed at what Patreon does...{BTW: Dan's in-comic avatar is a {female} squirrel...}

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
I'd understand a 15 cert but not 18, the topics are solidly teen it seems, just patreon hedging it's bets i expect.