Patreon refund ?

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
Hello, I had a Patreon for things unrelated to adult games, Patreon decided to cancel it (when several similar accounts are still operating) and it seems my Patreon can't get a refund. (I was on "pay upfront" mode). Since many of you might have been in relation with Patreon here, I was wondering if you knew of a solution or if Patreon will just steal my patrons money just because they can ?

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Patreon works on a model of hosting members content for the purpose of gathering donations to support the members works... It's not a shopping center where buyers purchase something with a money back guarantee... So if for whatever reason a developer drops membership or Patreon cancels their page, there is no refunding of those donations made prior to that moment... If you want to refund money to patrons of your works, out of the kindness of your heart, you can always send them a refund via some other means, such as Paypal etc... But Patreon is not legally bound to refund money, unless there are some very specific circumstances that warrant them to do so within the agreement both you and the donating members agreed to when joining Patreon in the first place...

Zip

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
Patreon works on a model of hosting members content for the purpose of gathering donations to support the members works... It's not a shopping center where buyers purchase something with a money back guarantee... So if for whatever reason a developer drops membership or Patreon cancels their page, there is no refunding of those donations made prior to that moment... If you want to refund money to patrons of your works, out of the kindness of your heart, you can always send them a refund via some other means, such as Paypal etc... But Patreon is not legally bound to refund money, unless there are some very specific circumstances that warrant them to do so within the agreement both you and the donating members agreed to when joining Patreon in the first place...

Zip
Good for them, license to steal, basically. Thanks for the clear explanation.

Last edited:
Reactions: N3koGuy

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Good for them, license to steal, basically. Thanks for the clear explanation.
Yup, they just take a little off the top... And what you get is Patreon taking care of all the back end for you... Such as the costs associated to money transfers, tax reporting, page hosting costs, etc... I'm sure their overhead is probably not that high... So they are making bank...

But they also carry some of the risk... Their member agreement indemnifies them in many ways, but they have a reputation to maintain (via their strict rules) and business partners they don't want to lose ties with due to reputation hits... They are also not 100% protected from law suits, even with their tight membership agreement...

Zip

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
Yup, they just take a little off the top... And what you get is Patreon taking care of all the back end for you... Such as the costs associated to money transfers, tax reporting, page hosting costs, etc... I'm sure their overhead is probably not that high... So they are making bank...

But they also carry some of the risk... Their member agreement indemnifies them in many ways, but they have a reputation to maintain (via their strict rules) and business partners they don't want to lose ties with due to reputation hits... They are also not 100% protected from law suits, even with their tight membership agreement...

Zip
Yes, but they also don't give any explanation which is super frustrating. And deep down I'm sure that my account was canceled and similar accounts were not, just because I contacted them once or twice for questions I had as a new user of Patreon, so they looked at my page manually and flagged it suspicious, when their automated procedure didn't find it so. Same for others with similar pages who didn't ask questions and are still there.

I also told them I could do any change they wished to comply with their rules, answered honestly to their questions but they fired me anyway. Lost a good amount of money, and my Patrons too, nothing fabulous, but it was not a $10 thing. And now the only thing I can do is share the loss with my patrons, making what they paid for for half the price. And work on another solution so they can pay without any middle man other than Paypal or something similar.

Would have been fair for my patrons if Patreon left me cancel their pledge before canceling my account, this way they would have been refunded. And Patreon could just keep their 8% or something if they wanted. All the money is still pretty close to thievery in my mind. And they know perfectly well than no one in their right mind would sue them unless there's a class action or if you are extremely rich. But then why would you be on Patreon ?

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
Kryptozoid the creator you support can refund you
I was the creator, my page was removed. seems there's nothing I can do. And in the 3-4 days between the warning and their final decision, even when I asked them what will happen to my patron's money, can they be refunded and all that... they didn't reply to these questions.

OEJ

'Dirth ma, harellan. Ma banal enasalin. Mar solas'
Donor
Dec 9, 2017
I was the creator, my page was removed. seems there's nothing I can do. And in the 3-4 days between the warning and their final decision, even when I asked them what will happen to my patron's money, can they be refunded and all that... they didn't reply to these questions.
oh... dint they mention it in terms and services or anything?

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
oh... dint they mention it in terms and services or anything?
No, and I think I searched reasonnably for it. Found more infos here and on Reddit than on Patreon's help desk.
Might have been able to refund my Patrons when my page was still active but they didn't tell me that and now there's nothing I can do. My Patrons lost money and it's not their fault nor mine. It's an awful situation, especially when you start an activity, and besides this it was growing quite well. It was not $10k thankfully, but it's particularly annoying when you had a good starting relationship with clients and some random decision by a third party menaces to fuck it all up for no reason. My ex patrons know that no one is to blame except Patreon, but still, they just lost money for nothing.

zombie goast

Jun 13, 2020
Yeah, no. You're shit out of luck if you're expecting Patreon to take responsibility for anything. They take their cut because they can, not because they're adding value. Buyer beware.

Reactions: Kryptozoid