Patreon Restrictions

darkevilhum

Sep 9, 2017
Hey guys, I've been working on an adult rpg for the past year. It's nearing the point of having a functional demo and I'd like to get support via Patreon. Though looking into Patreon, it seems to have a lot of restrictions on the type of content you can show/provide. Their guidelines are quite abstract in the the way they're worded and arguably open to interpretation.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what kinks/fetishes they might allow/not allow on the further extreme end of the spectrum? I've played around with a lot of skyrim modding via LoversLab and I feel like they hit the mark just right in terms of what's allowed vs what isnt. Beastiality for one seems to be a no go on Patreon, yet Ive seen games with sexual content with wolf-men and goat-men on their platform. So where exactly is the line drawn? In some cases, their guidelines would suggest any kind of sex that isn't consensual isn't okay, but have they ever read a history book lol?

Perhaps there's a platform like patreon that's more catering to adult creators?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

This is a banner image I put together from an in game screenshot, but even this I imagine Patreon will say no to (waiting to hear back from them) even though there is no context or sexual nature. (I've excluded the name of the project from the image in case there are any rules against self promotion etc).

Thank youu

patreon1600x400_3.png

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what kinks/fetishes they might allow/not allow on the further extreme end of the spectrum ?
It's not really difficult to find, even in their Terms of Service. When it come to adult games, everything is allowed except incest, bestiality, none consensual sex and p*d*shit.

Beastiality for one seems to be a no go on Patreon, yet Ive seen games with sexual content with wolf-men and goat-men on their platform. So where exactly is the line drawn?
The line drawn in "be a so loved, or so ignored, game that no one will report you for the content that it shouldn't have".

In some cases, their guidelines would suggest any kind of sex that isn't consensual isn't okay, but have they ever read a history book lol?
Would you had took the time to effectively read their Terms of Service, you would know the answer to this question. Precisely because they know history and explicitly addressed this particular point.

darkevilhum

Sep 9, 2017
It's not really difficult to find, even in their Terms of Service. When it come to adult games, everything is allowed except incest, bestiality, none consensual sex and p*d*shit.

The line drawn in "be a so loved, or so ignored, game that no one will report you for the content that it shouldn't have".

Would you had took the time to effectively read their Terms of Service, you would know the answer to this question. Precisely because they know history and explicitly addressed this particular point.
I'm not sure I appreciate your attitude but thank you for the answers.
I have in fact read their terms of service (multiple times) and as you mentioned it mentions non consensual content, though not in the context of history which you might be eluding to? But obviously this is misleading like many of the other points as there are many many projects on Patreon where the adult content contains sexual encounters which result from non-consensual scenarios such as combat defeat.
Are you suggesting that if the project is so-loved or so-ignored that they simply get away with this because the breach of their guidelines is only flagged via user/patreon reports?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] as you mentioned it mentions non consensual content, though not in the context of history which you might be eluding to?
[my bad, thought that it was directly in their ToS]:
"We understand that some topics on this list such as incest or rape are a little bit more complicated because these situations are, unfortunately, part of real life. As a result, when reviewing these types of creations, the Trust and Safety team will take into consideration context including personal, historical or educational narrative. For example, survivor stories or fiction such as Lolita are allowed on Patreon."

[...] there are many many projects on Patreon where the adult content contains sexual encounters which result from non-consensual scenarios such as combat defeat.
And there's many people who are walking free despite being rapists or killers. Does this mean that those rapes and murders are in fact legal, or does it mean that you need to be caught before "being removed from the society" (what is of course a way of speech).

Are you suggesting that if the project is so-loved or so-ignored that they simply get away with this because the breach of their guidelines is only flagged via user/patreon reports?
I'm not suggesting, I'm saying.
It's not provable strictly speaking, but the ban exist since near to 5 years, many games where started with one, or more, of the four banned content. Some even existed for months, when not years, with such content ; for obvious reason I'll not name them.
It's something that wouldn't happen if Patreon was doing beforehand moderation. Pass that they don't put the account under review right after its creation, but that beforehand moderation needs years, no, unbelievable ; and also not accurate to the name.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Don't mind him, irl he's a boomer in his 70's so probably posted that in between eating his werthers and shaking his stick at people on his lawn.
And since I live on the 12th floor, I have a really big stick...

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Hey guys, I've been working on an adult rpg for the past year. It's nearing the point of having a functional demo and I'd like to get support via Patreon. Though looking into Patreon, it seems to have a lot of restrictions on the type of content you can show/provide. Their guidelines are quite abstract in the the way they're worded and arguably open to interpretation.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what kinks/fetishes they might allow/not allow on the further extreme end of the spectrum? I've played around with a lot of skyrim modding via LoversLab and I feel like they hit the mark just right in terms of what's allowed vs what isnt. Beastiality for one seems to be a no go on Patreon, yet Ive seen games with sexual content with wolf-men and goat-men on their platform. So where exactly is the line drawn? In some cases, their guidelines would suggest any kind of sex that isn't consensual isn't okay, but have they ever read a history book lol?

Perhaps there's a platform like patreon that's more catering to adult creators?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

This is a banner image I put together from an in game screenshot, but even this I imagine Patreon will say no to (waiting to hear back from them) even though there is no context or sexual nature. (I've excluded the name of the project from the image in case there are any rules against self promotion etc).

Thank youu

View attachment 2520554
Based upon your banner image, alone, I would say that I could deduce that you would not be able to promote your game on Patreon. After reading your OP, should their Trust and Safety team examine your content if you do decide to create a page and promote a game with the content you are either stating or alluding to, you can be sure they will lock down your page and tell you to remove certain aspects or they will close your page permanently.

If you aren't willing to make those changes, I would recommend using a different site such as Subscribestar or Itch.io or another one which would be more amenable toward content such as what you intend.

Reactions: darkevilhum