Others Patreon reward tiers and general advice?

SchaakaKon

Nov 29, 2017
I have never used Patreon (or other similar platforms) as either side. So im a bit of a huge noob at it.

If anyone that has used Patreon before as a creator, what are some advice you could give in regards to what patrons liked/didn't like as rewards in the tiers. I know circumstances will be different for different creators but just asking your experience with it.

Ive been looking around at a variety of Patreons and notice some trends but the information I can see is limited.

For example, a reward tier of 20$ you can get a custom render/art. Which seems fair but if you start to get around 10-20 patrons in that tier i can imagine that gets quite taxing.

I dunno. General thoughts, opinions and maybe things you found surprising when you ran a Patreon?

arnii

Massive Member
Game Developer
Feb 23, 2020
For example, a reward tier of 20$ you can get a custom render/art. Which seems fair but if you start to get around 10-20 patrons in that tier i can imagine that gets quite taxing.
In my experience this is only a theoretical problem, I have ~20 patreons who are entitled to get custom renders but I can count on 1 hand how many have actually made requests. I cover myself by having a maximum six week wait period (usually it only takes me a week) so if everybody did start asking at least i can plan the work. People will support you at these higher tiers just to support your work and encourage you to keep going and may not really expect anything in return - so having the higher tiers is definitely worthwhile.

Reactions: SchaakaKon

udhvhrg

Aug 24, 2018
Necroing this thread for my own purposes

I'm close to releasing a 0.1 of my game, and I'm also wondering how I should set up my Patreon tiers. I want the lowest to be quite cheap so that people have low barrier for supporting, but also higher tiers for true fans.

What makes things a little more complicated is the laws of my country. Simply asking for donations is illegal, but putting something behind paywall makes it selling and thus legal. It doesn't have to be the whole game, just something. That means each tier would have to have something that the previous tier doesn't. Also, 0.1 should be free for all.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Well a lot of people 'sell' a better placement in the credits or earlier access to the new update. Another popular one is to have people be able to vote in some way on an update from tier X upwards.

May 13, 2023
I'm not yet doing my patreon for adult games, but i've done a few under other pennames, and I will give one important bit of advice. Before you offer any higher benefits, be absolutely certain you can deliver them. Nothing harms a patreon worse than not being able to deliver.
You've probably already considered that but i've known a few who got into issues because they didn't fully consider the time demands of some rewards associated with higher tiers.

Reactions: GNVE