Patreon W9 tax form

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
So I just received this W9 tax form in email form but when opening it, although looks like it's linked to Patreon the page itself looks like some Nigerian email scammer came up with it.

Why should Patreon be concerned about my countries Tax business when it's me who have to declare it should I bring the money into the country.

Anyone else recieved this email and form fill in malarkey?

WICKEDp4th

Before Alice went to Wonderland, she had to fall.
Donor
Sep 6, 2017
Did you Read that?

Maybe it clarify it a Bit.
Atleast i Hope;)

Reactions: bas

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
The worst part is that they have sent the email to every patron. Even non-us patrons.
Basically, a warning email that if you do not fill out the blanket, you cannot withdraw the money. Oh, and the blanket can only be filled out by people from the US...

Calleca

Dec 23, 2017
Why should Patreon be concerned about my countries Tax business when it's me who have to declare it should I bring the money into the country.
Because it's the law in the US.

They are a payment processor, so you have to fill out tax forms.

Patreon has no choice in this.

Moonfacedgames

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2018
So any clarification? Do you need to be in the US or ask someone in the US to represent you in taxes?

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Dear creator,

We sent you an email recently asking you to fill out a W9 form. If you are not based in the US, this email does not apply to you and your payouts will continue as usual. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

If you have questions about taxes, our is a good place to start, but we always recommend that you talk to a tax professional.

Sincerely,

The Patreon Team

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Yep just received that apology email as well. Makes me wonder about what is going on at Patreon. First changes banks loads of users looses money and now sending out emails to people not suppose to get them.

Dear creator,

We sent you an email recently asking you to fill out a W9 form. If you are not based in the US, this email does not apply to you and your payouts will continue as usual. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

If you have questions about taxes, our is a good place to start, but we always recommend that you talk to a tax professional.

Sincerely,

The Patreon Team