Ren'Py Paying for a port to Android

Deleted member 3250193

AlterWorlds Writer
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2021
Hi, folks!

We're in discussion with someone to create an Android port for our game, but we've not had an official port before and the person doing the work hasn't done an official port. We're wondering if any of you might have done so in the past, and what the costs were for that work.

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
Why not just do it yourself? If you can make a PC version, an Android port should be easy to do if you have the files for the project.

Testing the port for compatibilities is a different issue. Some version of Ren'py don't like Android 12.

Deleted member 3250193

AlterWorlds Writer
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2021
Why not just do it yourself? If you can make a PC version, an Android port should be easy to do if you have the files for the project.

Testing the port for compatibilities is a different issue. Some version of Ren'py don't like Android 12.
Because we both have a lot on our plate as it is. I'd rather trust it to someone who's done it before and can ensure it'll work properly across the board.

Sep 17, 2022
Just release it for free and open up a bug report page for it, the community can find problems for you.

Does renpy have a history of bad ports?

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
I had similar concerns but ended up doing it myself. The whole process in Renpy was straightforward and easy to follow. I needed to change a few things in the game where I'd used mouse hover, but otherwise, it was fine.
Tested with a VM in android studio.
As for the cost, it comes down to how much your time is worth if you were to do it yourself. After the initial setup of renpy, java, and android studio. Each subsequent update is no different than testing a pc build.