PC build

thegod

Dec 16, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to buya laptop for 3d rendering . I don't play many games. I read a lot, and there are very different opinions about different builds.

first of all the maximum, I can afford the MSI workstation laptop

or a razor blade with 2080

It got a Quadro 4000 which I found superior to almost all the GTX cards as far the answers I found online. I know what you're thinking, no I can't go for a desktop pc because I got to travel a lot as part of my studies and work, so a laptop is my first choice. I'm going for the best possible because I don't think I'm getting another system anytime soon.

Just do you want to know if there is any significant advantage for paying an extra 1000 bucks for the workstation? I'm not necessarily going to use the laptop for game building, gotta run serious simulations and advanced 3D software like Ansys and nuke.

Thank you

Reactions: Twistty

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

work on the laptop, but send all your renders to the workstation

Last edited:
Reactions: thegod

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to buya laptop for 3d rendering . I don't play many games. I read a lot, and there are very different opinions about different builds.

first of all the maximum, I can afford the MSI workstation laptop

or a razor blade with 2080

It got a Quadro 4000 which I found superior to almost all the GTX cards as far the answers I found online. I know what you're thinking, no I can't go for a desktop pc because I got to travel a lot as part of my studies and work, so a laptop is my first choice. I'm going for the best possible because I don't think I'm getting another system anytime soon.

Just do you want to know if there is any significant advantage for paying an extra 1000 bucks for the workstation? I'm not necessarily going to use the laptop for game building, gotta run serious simulations and advanced 3D software like Ansys and nuke.

Thank you
Go for as much RAM as you can from the start, as well as as much fast storage as you can afford, these can both be upgraded later, but if you have it to start off with, it'll make a lot of difference. The laptop you have picked out is a pretty good machine. Steer clear of the Razors, they tend to overheat.

The other advantage you have with the MSI system is it has Thunderbolt3, so you could always add an extra GPU later on.

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
thegod - "It got a Quadro 4000" ???
Is that a PC full version graphics card?

If so - I would seriously look for a strong laptop with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, a decent Cpu, and use an External graphics card dock.
razer-core-gpu-100726720-large.jpg

See this article -
That being said - now is not the best time to buy a laptop - as Intel's new 10nm cpu's are about to hit the market around Xmas?

Some very limited info - from the Verge (not the best source - but simple to read and understand)

-
bit old but...

Let me know if you want anymore info - but the laptop you pictured is overpriced and don't think you will be happy buying it in the long run?

Cheers

Last edited:

thegod

Dec 16, 2017
thegod - "It got a Quadro 4000" ???
Is that a PC full version graphics card?

If so - I would seriously look for a strong laptop with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, a decent Cpu, and use an External graphics card dock.
View attachment 367246

See this article -
That being said - now is not the best time to buy a laptop - as Intel's new 10nm cpu's are about to hit the market around Xmas?

Some very limited info - from the Verge (not the best source - but simple to read and understand)

-
bit old but...

Let me know if you want anymore info - but the laptop you pictured is overpriced and don't think you will be happy buying it in the long run?

Cheers
yes, Quadro RTX is a workstation standard graphics card that can supposedly handle two floating points [ i really don't know what that's about] and can give extreme precision, can work for hours and doesn't overheat much.

it's said that the Quadro RTX 4000 has the same chip as that of 780 Ti with some modifications and special driver for doing it.

as far as I know its the same commercial card with some special driver that can tweak the card into a workstation powerhouse and thereby reducing the gameplay rendering efficiency.

the issue is with the cost, it cost almost near as an overclocked 2080 and its just the 4th generation. the Quadro RTX 8000 is already in the market and I don't even want to mention how much it costs. so I don't know if going for it is a good idea. i need the laptop mainly for 3d Rendering, Editing and some simulations so, a good GPU is a necessity.

now from my research, I found that the razor leave alone for rendering, not even good for long 4k gaming as it overheats and caused lots of trouble for the customers. the Alienware m51 seems promising, which got a desktop level 2080.

I looked at the article you gave, seems interesting but I don't care much about the GPU that much, anything around i7 7XXXHK or i9 9XXX would be fine as I don't use that much CPU load rendering and only use it when working on Zbrush.

Between if anyone wanna know, QUADRO cards can perform extremely well for 3d works but shitty for gaming and doing SLI on them is a pain in the ass. now I'm thinking about buying a 64 GB laptop and an external GPU with 2x2080Ti probably.

if you know about them, any ideas on the subject would be a great help.

Reactions: Twistty

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
yes, Quadro RTX is a workstation standard graphics card that can supposedly handle two floating points [ i really don't know what that's about] and can give extreme precision, can work for hours and doesn't overheat much.
Many applications require higher-accuracy mathematical calculations. In these applications, data is represented by values that are twice as large (using 64 binary bits instead of 32 bits). These larger values are called double-precision (64-bit). Less accurate values are called single-precision (32-bit). Although almost all NVIDIA GPU products support both single- and double-precision calculations, the performance for double-precision values is significantly lower on most consumer-level GeForce GPUs.

Reactions: Twistty and thegod

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
Sorry polywog - just thought it was a random drive by picture post.
Guess I caught the first part of the post - before the explanation.
Bad beaver!!!:cautious:

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
"I looked at the article you gave, seems interesting but I don't care much about the GPU that much, anything around i7 7XXXHK or i9 9XXX would be fine as I don't use that much CPU load rendering and only use it when working on Zbrush."

Yes - but if you can wait a bit - those laptops will go down in price soonish, and the newer 10nm Cpus will have much improved Thunderbolt 3 integration - which is the main bottleneck to any external Gpu.