PC for rendering

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Hey all, question and/or opinions please. I am reasonably computer savvy and know what a good gaming rig is and what it will cost me. However I don't really play games any more and have little idea on what I would need just to render pretty good without going the whole hog on a high spec machine. I live in Australia and don't have the luxury of some of the prices to build a pc I've seen other mention. This is an budget level gaming pc here, how would it be for rendering.

Capture.PNG

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Pretty terrible honestly. I have a GTX 1060 6gb and it's only half decent. So if I were you, I'd probably shell out for the 1070 is you can afford it.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
IT's not bad.

Best thing you can do is 6GB graphics card ( GTX1060 6GB ) is fine although Conviction07 disagree's and more ram if you can.
I render on an AMD 8 core cpu and GTX1060 6GB, before that i was using a GTX1060 3GB card. IT worked but took forever and I had to use both CPU/GPU in DAZ3D.

It also depends on what quality and the resolution your going for. Remember lighting in any scene is your friend.

ponk

Donor
Feb 19, 2018
Well If you are mainly going to render I would suggest a ryzen 5 or 7. But if you want Intel no matter what you should probably get the 8400 at the minimum. And yeah you would need 16 gb of RAM at least, thou I know that in the current climate that is easily an extra 100 USD extra.

seyfer110

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
Yeah, your primary focus would be to upgrade GPU and ram;
as @ponk said, a good Ryzen would be good too, if you're aiming at a rendering-only pc ( but they're good for gaming too none-the-less).
The problem is that right now 8gb+ GPU and RAM are overpriced like hell....

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
I use a Ryzen 7 for rendering works great with my GTX 1070 and 1080TI

215303j

I'd avoid Seagate HDD's like the plague, but maybe that's just me...

I'd assume a SSD would be an advantage as well.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
...the power supply... what brandmark is it? if it's a chinese shitbox, get it out of ya pc and get a brandmark. those chinese power supplies are fucking ticking timebombs!

ssd's are great for loading stuff BEFORE you need it. stuff like switching on ya pc and letting him load all the shit you might wanna use or the loading screen in a game, where the program loads up everything that can be of use later on.