PC - Wake On Lan

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Hi

Just wondering if anyone's successfully used WakeOnLan ?

I live in a shitty country where we have power load shedding and as i am at work i cant switch on my pc manually. I know you get Wake On Lan ability but anyone got it to work?
Currently my route is setup for port 7 and i have the routers IP address. Also the router has the pc's MAC ID so it should find its way to the PC's IP address which is static .

I use magic packet yet still not working.

I've had a look in the bios but apart from Power on after AC off nothing I can see quickly. Do one have to set this up in the Ethernet card?

Any advice appreciated.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I know you get Wake On Lan ability but anyone got it to work?
It's perhaps just a question of translation, but the way you wrote the question feel odd. Therefore, just in case and to be sure, and because what you said after that make me doubt:
You firstly need to enable the feature in the BIOS of your computer, and/or on your OS (it mostly depend how old is your computer).

Currently my route is setup for port 7
Is there a reason why you use the port 7 when WakeOnLAN generally listen on the port 9 ?

and i have the routers IP address. Also the router has the pc's MAC ID so it should find its way to the PC's IP address which is static .
Hmm. Just to be sure, because it's odd that you talk about the MAC Address in this context:
You mean that on your router, you defined a rule that goes along the line of, "When you receive a packet on the port 7, send it to the IP Address W.X.Y.Z", right ? With possibly the IP Address being replaced by a MAC Address depending of the router ; but I don't really see why a home router would have such advanced setting.

All this being said, it would probably be better to use an unit in place of a WakeOnLAN setting.

Firstly is would keep you computer hidden and unreachable behind the router, what is always a good thing.
Secondly it would protect the hardware since it's never a good idea to have it brutally stopped or, worse, to expose it directly to the power load shedding.
And finally, if the problem is solved before the UPS unit send the shutdown signal, your computer will just keep running as if nothing happened. What mean that you'll not have to wake it up then start Daz, then launch a new batch of rendering ; it would just never stop to render.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
UPS makes best sense yes. Problem is UPS would need to be a 1kva or more to keep the pc running during load shedding. The biggest problem is that, not too long ago they did load shedding every 8hours so the batteries do not charge up in the time whilst the power was on again.

Thx for above advice. I have a plan in action which should work whilst this planned load shedding is going.