Ren'Py Persistent data not saving upon exiting

csum

Jan 7, 2020
Kept resetting general setting back to being default and gallery back to being locked and deleted upon exiting on some of the games such Waifu Academy, Evermore and etc. Help please

csum

Jan 7, 2020
No I don’t think so what do u mean by archives? I put them inside in Drive D on pc.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
No I don’t think so what do u mean by archives?
What are the steps you do before playing ? Do you open the archive, then click on "Extract to" and select the place where the files will be put, or do you (double) click on the executable to start the game ?

If it's the second, you are playing from inside the archive, and it's surely why you encounter this issue.

Altmale

Jun 26, 2019
I've been having the same issue. It happens with every game I've launched, some of which are older versions of RenPy.

It's incredibly frustrating on games that have a lot of paths or store info to the persistent save instead of a local one -like, sure, that's a quick way to store the MC name for replays, but now if I quit your game, I come back to find my name is "Main Character" :sick:

In case it matters, it's a Windows 11 laptop and only has a single hard drive / partition. It did not have this problem with RenPy games before a few months ago.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It happens with every game I've launched, some of which are older versions of RenPy.
[...]
In case it matters, it's a Windows 11 laptop and only has a single hard drive / partition. It did not have this problem with RenPy games before a few months ago.
If it started recently, and happen with older versions, then it's something you did (voluntarily or not) with Windows.

Altmale

Jun 26, 2019
If it started recently, and happen with older versions, then it's something you did (voluntarily or not) with Windows.
Yeah, with how little I've been able to find on this issue and the fact that it seems only one other person is even having it, I'm aware that reformatting would likely fix it, but I was hoping that someone who knows more about RenPy might have some idea first.