pixiv FANBOX: a valid alternative to Patreon?

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017

I'm sick tired of Patreon banning, censoring and basically ruining who knows how many adult games by restricting the Authors' creativity with stupidly strict rules.

SO..we all know finding an alternative is difficult, especially because the main culprit behind all this is Paypal, and Paypal is easy to use and widespread.
That said, it's really not strictly necessary, so let's check this Fanbox.
I'll edit this post with all the additional information you guys can find, in the meantime this post by DS23G is what prompted me to open this topic:

It's probably the biggest site to upload art in Japan, certainly so for adult stuff. Fanbox is the crowdfunding service they started a couple years ago, which was originally only open to domestic users. There's no way they'll implement the same restricitions as Patreon, that'd cost them half their userbase. The only thing I can see them doing if paypal raises a stink would be going the dlsite way of splitting the service in adult and non-adult, with paypal only being available in the non-adult section.
INFORMATION:
  • Accepted payments: Visa, Mastercard, or through other services ( ), but not Paypal for R-18 content ( )
  • Creators can be payed through Paypal ( ) or otherwise ( )
  • Cost to open a Creator's page: zero ( )
  • Service fee: pixivFANBOX takes 10% from Total amount of payout as service fee ( )
  • You have to flag your "fanbox" as R-18 content ( )
  • When I'm charged for my pledge? When I pledge, and the first day of each month ( )

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Would be nice if their ToS were not in japanese.

Also, being able to use PayPal is one of the biggest pros with Patreon, that's something PFB also lacks.

DS23G

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2019
So the paypal option ended up being non-adult content only. Bummer, but that was to be expected.

Still, if your game/art doesn't fly on patreon, fanbox seems to be the best option right now as an adult content creator.

Waaifu

Furry Gamer
Uploader
Donor
Aug 6, 2016
Your card would have to support international transactions to use the site. Many debit and prepaid cards don't allow those transactions.

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
There are alternatives if you can use something other than Paypal, it seems that when things get big, and Paypal hears about being used for adult stuff they will end that support.

While not as big in numbers, more and more people use SubscribeStar Adult as an alternative, and im glad about that. Been using it for a few months now, but you would need a credit card for that of course.

It at least lets me not give money to Paytreon/Paypal, although the whole censoring and banning movement also probably comes from the credit card companies in the first place. So yeah, its still about chosing the lesser devil.

Upside is, the more extreme things get a chance to exist on a platform, because some games would be swiss cheese when "properly" censored for Paytreon.

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
The greatest pro of this service, correct me if I'm wrong, is that it's widely used in Japan for adult stuff so it's reliable and won't be brought down.
And yes, if we want freedom of creativity we need to forget paypal. Fuck them.

Would be nice if their ToS were not in japanese.
Also, being able to use PayPal is one of the biggest pros with Patreon, that's something PFB also lacks.
About the ToS: Yeah, they need to work on that and more if they want to push on the worldwide service.
About Paypal, in theory a creator could use it to get the monthly payments but I wouldn't advise it (they'll likely block your account sooner or later). That said, it seems you can get the money directly into your bank account so who cares.
Your card would have to support international transactions to use the site. Many debit and prepaid cards don't allow those transactions.
Is that a problem? I have a really basic visa electron prepaid card and can use it online pretty much everywhere. The only thing I'm not sure of is subscriptions, I don't know if prepaid cards support subscriptions.

Waaifu

Furry Gamer
Uploader
Donor
Aug 6, 2016
Is that a problem? I have a really basic visa electron prepaid card and can use it online pretty much everywhere. The only thing I'm not sure of is subscriptions, I don't know if prepaid cards support subscriptions
Visa Electron isn't available for everyone as it's only in certain countries.
*Other prepaid cards and debit cards are out of warranty and may not be used normally.
If the quote from their page is correct, then it's unlikely to work with the majority of the prepaid cards.

Last edited:

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
About Paypal, in theory a creator could use it to get the monthly payments but I wouldn't advise it (they'll likely block your account sooner or later). That said, it seems you can get the money directly into your bank account so who cares.
I meant on the user end, I don't trust PayPal all that much, but it's the only service I used without a problem and if I can't, I'll skip on this dev/service.

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Does anyone know hard facts on the content restrictions and associated punishments on pixiv? Supposedly you still need to censor genitals but there's plenty of uncensored art around and even some uncensored 3D loli (plus heaps of scat, gore, grotesque stuff and anything else not involving visible genitals) so I guess the rules are only enforced after something gets reported? Are there any differences between freely available works and FANBOX content?

And while going somewhat off-topic to me the name sounds incredibly condescending, as if you can't be a "real" fan without shoving money down someone's gullet on a subscription.

daloo semoose

Feb 19, 2020
Does anyone know hard facts on the content restrictions and associated punishments on pixiv? Supposedly you still need to censor genitals but there's plenty of uncensored art around and even some uncensored 3D loli (plus heaps of scat, gore, grotesque stuff and anything else not involving visible genitals) so I guess the rules are only enforced after something gets reported? Are there any differences between freely available works and FANBOX content?

And while going somewhat off-topic to me the name sounds incredibly condescending, as if you can't be a "real" fan without shoving money down someone's gullet on a subscription.
You need to censor the preview pics, or the first pic/s that show up before opening the rest, after that is free game.

And how on earth did you get offended or read that much into the name "FANBOX"? lol.

• Angry
Reactions: amBest

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
And how on earth did you get offended or read that much into the name "FANBOX"? lol.
Not actually offended, mainly I just saw a rather sudden switch by quite a few Japanese artists, going from full uploads with no donation links or commission info whatsoever to 1-3 pic "previews" plastered chock full with FANBOX like nothing else matters. The way I have seen it used definitely is a "payment processing service" and not a "fan donation box" by any means. Still not sure whether the content tagging issues are a technical limitation on pixiv or blatant abuse as some of those "preview" submissions don't contain the tagged content but the full paid set presumably does.

Girm Ork

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
Does anyone here really use their service?
As far as I know, it is for Japanese creators, you need a Japanese bank account to get paid.

DS23G

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2019
Does anyone here really use their service?
As far as I know, it is for Japanese creators, you need a Japanese bank account to get paid.
You can get paid out on paypal, no need for a japanese bank account.

lrdalucard

Oct 24, 2020
My biggest concern right now is that you get messaged by the moderation about how your drawings have to be censured somehow whenever there is a "physical contact" with "genitals" in your drawings. After that, not following the rules can actually get your Fanbox pixiv acc suspended.

I will leave a copy of the email/message I got from mods just in case, you also need it for reference and avoid this in the future:
About posts uploaded on pixivFANBOX
Thank you for using pixivFANBOX.

In pixiv, it is necessary to hide parts reminiscent of genitals and genitals, such as mosaics and fills, and explicit posting of genitals is prohibited.

Please refer to as below link for our censorship policy.

Regardless of publishing Settings, you have to use mosaic on private parts.

Examples of private parts which may warrant a censor:
-Genitalia, or any part that resembles genitalia
-Areas where any and all genitalia penetrates or otherwise contacts other genitalia
-Areas where any and all genitalia penetrates or otherwise contacts the anus
-Depictions of any and all severed or lacerated body parts in needless graphic detail.

For the above reasons, we have moved your contents to Drafts.

When re-posting, please apply concealment processing or do not display it in the image.

And You cannot post uncensored download links.

You cannot submit uncensored works to pixivFANBOX in any way.

In addition, Internet surveillance is increasing these days, and Internet Hotline Centers commissioned by the National Police Agency may require transmission prevention measures.

We recommend that you implement concealment as much as possible with reference to adult magazines sold at bookstores.

If there is no improvement after sending this message, your account will be suspended without notice.

After your account is suspended, all support will be stop.

Also I'm sure many of you aren't aware, but Paypal as a policy that it cannot be used on adult content websites. If you wondering why Patreon tries to "cover ppl up" who do R18 material, that's the cause.
Cause PayPal will actually request you to remove your payment option from your website if they find out about it.

I know Patreon has its issues, and I'm not defending them, but we gotta give recognition, that their bans have been kept to minimum, it still sucks being shadow-banned( ) though, but at least Paypal can still be supported on the platform regardless... and I'm sure at least 60% of Patreon user base uses it.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: tdree and Leeduva

zamsnads

Jul 5, 2020
In the states, don't have a credit card just debit and paypal, what are my options to support a nsfw creator? Would a virtual credit card work and if yes which one has the smallest fees?