Plagiarism vs Homage

89tasker

Jun 4, 2017
In response to complaints about the complete lack of good writers for games, how do people feel about using existing stories to create a game?

Ideally, it would be done with the author's consent, but if they don't, (or more likely can't be reached) then there is room for creating an "homage".

Of course, it would be necessary to credit the original idea to the author for inspiring the work, and avoid copying it word for word...

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
I don't mind people using similar stories or even outright copying as long as they can improve on the original in some way be it renders, character models or changing up the story in little ways.

As long as it's something good they are copying.

Copying something like say, Road Trip, would be pointless because we have far too many games where the woman is an absolute moron that gets blackmailed into sex for the most moronic reasons because at some point in her life her brain was switched out for a lettuce.

No more of those, please.

Anything else is good.

If someone could take Ethan's Legacy and have a go at that so i'd get some closure, that would be great just no more idiot women.

I know some people like that but I don't find idiocy to be sexy.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
change the hair color in half the games out there = win
Dating my brunette daughter with glasses
Urban Demons - no blondes edition

Mark600601

Donor
Apr 25, 2017
Ill agree with what Gomely said.
Theres absoutely nothing wrong with taking an already exisiting format so long as the story and mechanics and what not are not the exact same.
Example Mario vs Donkey Kong. Both were platformers but were different enough that you couldnt or wouldnt confuse one for the other.
If you are going to take an already existing story however (Like how all the incest games seem to be copying one another right now) Youll need to do something that makes you stand out more otherwise it becames less of a starting part or homage and more of a copy
Example BabySitter has a very similar story to Dating my Daughter but Taboo is taking the story in different directions that Mr.Dots did not. Which is allowing BS to stand out despite being similar to DMD

Reactions: Gomly1980

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Example BabySitter has a very similar story to Dating my Daughter but Taboo is taking the story in different directions that Mr.Dots did not. Which is allowing BS to stand out despite being similar to DMD
I have to agree here.

DMD and BS both have similar themes but are different enough to be enjoyable in their own right.

The problem with the main bulk of incest and NTR games is they are all exactly the same. They have the same scenes, same plots and same characters with different names.