Platform suggestions

Odo Shortwick

Jun 13, 2018
I am thinking of making a top-down third person game with a look similar to a Dungeon Siege or Baldur's Gate style; and looking for suggestions on a platform to use for game creation. I already have Unity 2018 installed and played around with some of the tutorials, and it doesn't look too particularly difficult too use. However, from some of the comments and posts it looks like some people have difficulty with it. I know there is also RPG Maker, and as much as I love the old 8 bit Final Fantasy/Link look, it's not something that I want for this.

Quick background; I'm a software developer with about 15 years experience ranging from basic HTML and XML, to programming full distributed platforms in C++, C# and Java.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I've always prefered unreal over unity. Mostly because of it's usablility and how the render engine works, but thats more of a personal thing I guess.
Since you mentioned Java you might want to have a look at this:
It's a Java developement framework and I've heard good things about it.
You could also go for the CryEngine, but I've never used it and all I know is that unity and unreal are easier to learn.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
You could also go for the CryEngine
Their TOS doesn't allow sexual content to be developed on it, last time I checked. Otherwise if the OP isn't going to have any adult content then have at it.

As far as choosing which platform to develop on, that's entirely up to you and what works best for your workflow. The two I know of that allows adult content to be developed on are UE4 and Unity. There's also Godot, but you might want to check the TOS to be sure you won't get flagged for having adult material on it.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
There's also Godot, but you might want to check the TOS to be sure you won't get flagged for having adult material on it.
Godot Engine is free and open source software released under the permissive MIT license (also named Expat license).
This license grants users a number of freedoms:
  • You are free to use Godot Engine, for any purpose
  • You can study how Godot Engine works and change it
  • You can distribute unmodified and changed versions of Godot Engine, even commercially and under a different license (including proprietary)
The only restriction to that third freedom is that you need to distribute the copyright notice and license statement of Godot Engine whenever you redistribute it.