Playing games on Android

dodgeuk

Mar 5, 2017
Hi all,

Couldn't find an answer to this by searching so thought I'd ask. My laptop gave up the ghost so I can't play all these games on that, but till I get a replacement I do have a android box plugged into the TV. Is there any apps or sites or whatever I can run to at least get the ren'py games to work on an android system?

All the searches I do just talk about writing the games for android, not playing them. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Cheers

eosar

Aug 11, 2016
I am not alone!

Like I said in my request thread, we need a phone user's tutorial compilation pinned thread to help phone users find out which type of games can they play and how to get them running.

Back on topic, unless someone is more educated in the matter, far as I know at the moment, Devs need to compile an android specific version on whatever platform they're using to make their game, if it has the option.

Someone said in a thread I don't remember that ren'py games can run directly, but I have no clue if they were talking out of their ass.

Reactions: BestSnipy

dodgeuk

Mar 5, 2017
Definitely need a guide. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms here missing so many updates...

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Look out for apk in the game OP, many games (especially Ren'py) have android versions made by the devs or people like booom313.

Simon Jester

Aug 14, 2018
So how do you get access to the renpy console in android games? Is there an android version of unren.bat? How do you bring up the keyboard in renpy games?

eosar

Aug 11, 2016
Get a PC keyboard app of preference (no idea which is worth using), it's best if the game itself has console enabled otherwise you need to manually edit the exact file, and it should technically work as on PC.
Unren.bat most likely doesn't work on android. You should ask if it's possible on its main thread.

Root access may be required for manual edit of console file if hidden and for unren type of app.

Simon Jester

Aug 14, 2018
Get a PC keyboard app of preference (no idea which is worth using), it's best if the game itself has console enabled otherwise you need to manually edit the exact file, and it should technically work as on PC.
Unren.bat most likely doesn't work on android. You should ask if it's possible on its main thread.

Root access may be required for manual edit of console file if hidden and for unren type of app.
I've noticed a lot of primitive issues on android versions. Seems like the android ports are poorly done and support for the android platform is in its infancy. Don't really mind that, everything has to start somewhere. But the tech doesn't seem to have the users or the support of the PC or MAC versions. Don't use MAC, but the base support for PC is pretty advanced and I'm a huge fan of the unren.bat tool. No, I know the unren.bat doesn't work on android, but I was hoping there existed an android analog. Just as a matter of curiosity, why a pc keyboard app? What's special about them that the standard android keyboard doesn't support?

eosar

Aug 11, 2016
I've noticed a lot of primitive issues on android versions. Seems like the android ports are poorly done and support for the android platform is in its infancy. Don't really mind that, everything has to start somewhere. But the tech doesn't seem to have the users or the support of the PC or MAC versions. Don't use MAC, but the base support for PC is pretty advanced and I'm a huge fan of the unren.bat tool. No, I know the unren.bat doesn't work on android, but I was hoping there existed an android analog. Just as a matter of curiosity, why a pc keyboard app? What's special about them that the standard android keyboard doesn't support?
Sorry, I'm writing solely on supposition and things i've yet to try.

The virtual PC keyboard is meant to be used in order to activate the console since I don't know how to use the android one beyond text mode. Does pressing ~ on the phone even work as on PC or is there a shift/ctrl?
I presume a virtual PC keyboard can be activated and used at will, which is why I'm recommending one.

As for support, yes it's quite limited.
Many types of games and not all platforms even have basic android capabilities. Yet to be honest, I wouldn't give a damn about it if I still used a PC.

Simon Jester

Aug 14, 2018
Sorry, I'm writing solely on supposition and things i've yet to try.

The virtual PC keyboard is meant to be used in order to activate the console since I don't know how to use the android one beyond text mode. Does pressing ~ on the phone even work as on PC or is there a shift/ctrl?
I presume a virtual PC keyboard can be activated and used at will, which is why I'm recommending one.

As for support, yes it's quite limited.
Many types of games and not all platforms even have basic android capabilities. Yet to be honest, I wouldn't give a damn about it if I still used a PC.
Ahh, I understand, you're in even more dire straits than I am. :) For me the android is easier to carry (than a PC or a laptop). So on the android (in my experience) the keyboard just comes up whenever input is needed. I assume the android app just executes a request for the keyboard whenever it issues a prompt that it wants a typed reply to (or it could be the renpy interfaces that do it on behalf of the app). So in all the android ports the input request that need it have a keyboard I/O and it just works. But there isn't a way to bring a keyboard up to enter commands to get into console mode, external to the app request (as far as I know). I don't know if the same key strokes to get to the console or developer mode work under android. As for other keyboard apps, no they work just like the default android virtual keyboard apps. Now I don't have an external physical android keyboard, they might work. I don't really know. But for me lugging around a physical keyboard defeats the purpose of the android for me. If I need to do that then I might as well carry a laptop. Ninety percent of my android us is as a book reader. The other ten percent is quick web browsing. I was just hoping to add a few games to the mix. Next time I get a keyboard in a game I'll try the pc console key sequence (shift o) and see if it works. I'll report back if it works or not. Although it might take a little time, since most games only need a keyboard for entering the MC name, everything else is virtual mouseclicks.