Playing games on the GO - devices and recommendations

Summertime Nickname

Aug 16, 2020
7.jpg
So a few words about the problem - and how I solved it for myself.
Task:
Want to play games F95 - all and with modifications if they are. And if updates come out - to play them at once. But - or the place where the PC is not very isolated (which is somewhat of a hindrance:) Or you travel. In addition - for such games want to have all the same separate device - which no one from the home will not have access.

1) The first thing that came to mind - to play on a tablet with android. But this severely limits the choice of games that are available to us, and the latest update can be forgotten. This option is discarded.

2) Laptop. In fact, the obvious solution - but even the lightest and most convenient laptops are not suitable - they are very large. You can't play in bed in general. Yes, and to lug around even within the confines of an apartment - not pleasant. The only exception is the Macbook 12 2015-2017 - it is both lightweight and quite compact. Suitable both for work and for playing our favorite games. But it's still big - we need something more portable.

3) Windows tablet. In fact they are a lot of options - but I like more or less quality things and therefore I only looked at tablets from Microsoft. The advantages are portability, good battery life and a screen with a good resolution. The disadvantages are exactly two - the first is that they are kind of expensive for the iron that is there. The second is that the screens are terribly fragile. All pages of ads are flooded with devices with broken screens. This is what stopped me to some extent. And yet they are also quite large. I once had an 11 ipad pro 2018 - And I know for a fact that at that size, portability is out of the question. Portability starts at 8 inches. So I've given up on the Surface pro line and tablets in general.

4) Gaming consoles. I have discovered a variety of gaming consoles - and it is clear that my attention was attracted to Windows devices. And this is what the market has to offer:
- From the company GPD - GPD win 1 - 5 inch screen and built-in joystick - can be found for 200USD on sale. But the text is too small will be keep this in mind. GPD win 2 - 5.5 inch screen price from 400 USD on ebay. Already you can play Skyrim. GPD win 3 - 5.5 inches - the price is exorbitant - about 1000usd - but you can also play cyberpunk. But these devices do not recommend - well, the screen is too small I personally could not use it seriously.
Moving on - GPD win max model 2020-2021. As for me the ideal candidate for our purpose - built-in keyboard - for work, built-in trackpad and gamepad. Price from 500 to 1000USD depending on the year of manufacture. For gaming with F95 is enough and 2020 version.
But personally I bought a GPD win max 2021 - as a universal device for gaming on the go and for work. I can actually recommend it. There is also a device from Onexplayer - but the price tag there is insane from 1400USD - although a great screen at the same time. Also, there is AyaNeo - just as an excellent option.

But really - if I were to choose a device only for gaming with F95 - and that's all - I would probably stop at the tablet from Microsoft Go - which are smaller than Pro. But the new integrated graphics from Intel - XE really does things - it's almost GTX 1050 level.

And now for the main thing - ThrottleStop or TDP adjustment.
Whichever device you choose you will face the fact that battery life might not be very good especially if you buy a second hand one. This issue can be easily solved using ThrottleStop utility if you have Intel CPU or similar AMD software. It would also be nice to do some undervolting if your system allows it. Here is an example from my personal experience - the GPD community made a utility "TPD menu" which allows you to change CPU TDP on the fly - for example with 7 Watt limit I can play all the games with F95 on my GPD win max 2021 - and the run time on one charge will be up to 11 hours! And at 35 watts I can play cyberpunk.

Bottom line - if you want to play simple games - look out for the Surface go line from microsoft. If you want everything at once - GPD AyaNeo and onexplayer are at your service.

And of course we're all waiting for the Steam Deck - which just can't come out. For the price it's the perfect choice and solution for all of us - just have to tear down SteamOS and put on windows. I'm a bit confused by its size - almost like a steering wheel of a car - and the screen is a bit small too - only 7 inches. But 7 is not 5 - I think you can get used to it.

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
And of course we're all waiting for the Steam Deck - ... - just have to tear down SteamOS and put on windows.
I hope enough people don't do this so that the Linux market grows. You are of course free to do as you wish, i'm only just stating my hope.

Summertime Nickname

Aug 16, 2020
I hope enough people don't do this so that the Linux market grows.
What difference does it make whether it goes up or down? Linux is a server operating system that will never be a full-fledged desktop operating system for ordinary people. No one really needs it, except maybe Steam. Until the big money comes into linux it will remain an island of communism in a capitalist world. And as we remember, for one reason or another communism is not viable. The same fate awaits linux in the near future.

And to be honest, I think that even if there is a new Linux which will be available to housewives, it will still be turned into a garbage can which collects information about every action you take. Just to make money. Money rules the world.

So of course I'm looking forward to Steam OS - with their much promised proton. I wonder - will it be possible to run our RenPy games directly on SteamOS? I will definitely put SteamOS on my GPD win max for experiments.

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
I am looking to buy a handheld for playing F95Zone games, mostly RPG Maker and some VNs and Unity games. What should I look for for playing those?

Dec 4, 2017
I am looking to buy a handheld for playing F95Zone games, mostly RPG Maker and some VNs and Unity games. What should I look for for playing those?
Have you decided on what device you're buying? I'm having the same conundrum.

I have an android tablet running Joiplay and while you can play most games, there was also a good chance that you couldn't play a game that you wanted as well, esp. if the game uses Wolf RPG. Not to mention theres also issues with animation ingame on android (in my experience). Been thinking about buying a Windows tablet (like Surface Pro) since black friday is coming, alongside with a flexible gooseneck stand w/ wireless mouse/keyboard for on the bed gameplay. HBU?

Reactions: Succubus Hunter

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
Have you decided on what device you're buying? I'm having the same conundrum.

I have an android tablet running Joiplay and while you can play most games, there was also a good chance that you couldn't play a game that you wanted as well, esp. if the game uses Wolf RPG. Not to mention theres also issues with animation ingame on android (in my experience). Been thinking about buying a Windows tablet (like Surface Pro) since black friday is coming, alongside with a flexible gooseneck stand w/ wireless mouse/keyboard for on the bed gameplay. HBU?
I went with the GPD Win 1. I've played mostly RPGM games on it. It has been getting hot after about 30 minutes of RPGM gameplay but I suspect there's a setting I can configure so it will run cooler.