Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Hi, fellow Linux users! Hi, less fortunate users of different operating systems!
I've seen many questions and doubts about creating games for Linux and playing them. Not too many years ago, I would have sadly advised to create a Windows partition for that purpose, but fortunately things change and now there are many possibilities for us illuminate people looking for some fun, without the burden to save and close everything and reboot.
Jokes aside, I'd really like to share my experience with you, and maybe gain some knowledge from yours, so feel free to improve my suggestions below, I know my solutions aren't always the most efficient ones.
Just a small note before I begin: English is not my mother language and it's also not my computer language. There may be differences between what I write and what you can find on your computer. While I'm confident enough I can translate the meaning correctly, the wording may still be not completely accurate. Usually a small amount of intuition should be enough to understand, but if it's not feel free to ask. And of course there may also be differences depending on your Linux distribution and desktop environment, so it's not always my fault. ;)

The following list is ordered based on my experience with it. The lower an item is, the less I'll be able to help with it, but maybe other users will be, so don't worry yet. The list of systems comes from the tags available here, plus a couple more special cases.
Game systems are color-coded:
Green: You won't usually have problems with these. Exceptions are rare, if any.
Yellow: Depends on the case, it may run, but it may as well crash. You have to try for yourself.
Red: No known method to run these games.
Blue: It rimes with "I have no clue".

Warning: Every method, suggestion, script and any other thing found in this guide has the potential to damage something. If you try something new, be sure to have a backup and to work in a safe environment for all your other files. And if you can, inspect everything you find here. I can't and won't guarantee that everything will work perfectly for you as it does for me. I can't even guarantee that it won't do any damage (although I actively try not to give you dangerous material), so better safe than sorry.

Useful Information for Developers: Every section contains a paragraph dedicated to developers. If you are interested in developing games that can be played on Linux, you could find many useful tips here.

For Mac users: While the guides presented here are intended specifically for Linux, and I know almost nothing about the Mac environment, there is a high probability that most of the guides presented below apply to Mac users too, although they may require some small modifications. If you want to create or update a guide for Mac users, feel free to copy and adapt to your need anything you find here. Attribution would be appreciated.

HTML (includes Twine, SugarCube and similar engines):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Adobe Flash:

Adobe AIR:

Ren'Py:

NW.js (includes many RPGM games, Construct and many others):

TyranoBuilder:

RPG Maker:

Japanese games:

Unity:

Java:

RAGS:

QSP:

Adrift:

TADS:

Unreal Engine:

WebGL:

Wolf RPG Editor:

Visionaire Studio:
. Thanks @kolobezka

Godot: (Thanks @cold_arctus)

Others:

############

Appendix A: How can I mark a file as executable?

Appendix B: Do I have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Linux?

Appendix C: How do I run an executable using the terminal?

Appendix D: How can I set up a Wine prefix?

Last edited:

Xorgroth

Modder
Oct 12, 2017
Only way I can get RAGS games to run is Regalia. Though, it's not perfect and you still need RAGS designer to export the game to html first. Plus Regalia is for RAGS 2.4 only, 3.0 will break quite often.

Reactions: Capacitor

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Only way I can get RAGS games to run is Regalia. Though, it's not perfect and you still need RAGS designer to export the game to html first. Plus Regalia is for RAGS 2.4 only, 3.0 will break quite often.
That's interesting, it's surely worth mentioning.
However I found a very similar topic to this one, published only a fey days before, that explains how to run RAGS, and it works, though not perfectly. I'll update the OP with the new information.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Unity:
For developers: I know Unity games can be compiled for Linux, but I don't know how it works on your side. It may be as easy as for Ren'Py, or it may require a Linux environment.

For players
: I don't think there is an easy way to port Unity games on Linux, but Unity can compile for Linux, so you can try to kindly ask the developer for a Linux version of his/her game.
Otherwise you may try to use Wine (see Appendix D), but depending on the game there may be some requirements and the game is usually slower when played through Wine compared to a native Linux version.
Regarding Unity: I found some guides for a 'workaround' for an Linux (or Mac) user-ported version of an Unity Game, see:

and

As it looks, it works for some Unity Games available on GOG and Steam... Maybe an experienced Linux-User, like you Capacitor ;), could take a look into this.

One of many reasons why there is no Linux port of an Unity Game here, are unsupported 3rd-party plugins (for Linux or Mac) in the game used by the developer, e.g. videoplayer in Man of the House.

madmonkey360

Nov 25, 2017
I can not install java 8 in wine to play the games of RPG Maker MV and java 7 for some reason it does not let me download it from the official website of oracle.

Deleted member 584886

Donor
Game Developer
Apr 30, 2018
Most of Unreal engine based games, and Unity games, works mostly fine using Wine as well. Though, of course it would be preffered for them to be compiled and made for Linux specific.

I can not install java 8 in wine to play the games of RPG Maker MV and java 7 for some reason it does not let me download it from the official website of oracle.
I don't know what Linux distro are you running, but here's what worked for my Mint (native, non Wine):

Or if you really have to do it with Wine, simply use .

dspeed

Oct 15, 2016
Has anyone had any success getting The Twist working properly?

What's your setup?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018

What's your setup?
This crap is cancer in every way of game performance (extremely slow, long loading periods...). A month back I tested v0.25 (or 0.26) but it was heavily bugged (no camera movement, PC freeze in MCs room, etc.). Some fonts were only working starting with wine-staging 3.16 (or 3.17 :oops: - I can't remember anymore). Did not try the latest version with wine-staging (3.19), because even v0.27Beta2 has a lot of bugs..

Reactions: Cirro84
U

User_896786

Good thread OP, keep it up!
Now I need help with something regarding Lilith's Throne. I can run the game fine but the fonts are fucked up, not only they don't fit the boxes like they're supposed to but the font itself is different from the one the game is supposed to have. I've tried to fix this and managed to change the font to Courier, which is already better, but I'd still like to fix it completely. Does anyone know a fix?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Good thread OP, keep it up!
Now I need help with something regarding Lilith's Throne. I can run the game fine but the fonts are fucked up, not only they don't fit the boxes like they're supposed to but the font itself is different from the one the game is supposed to have. I've tried to fix this and managed to change the font to Courier, which is already better, but I'd still like to fix it completely. Does anyone know a fix?
How do you play this game? Using wine (and .exe) or the Java version? (I don't know the game, just read the OP).

U

User_896786

How do you play this game? Using wine (and .exe) or the Java version? (I don't know the game, just read the OP).
I play it using java.
Did you download the windows font pack in the OP? You can find the download link and the instructions under Appendix D. From the screenshots it looks a common font, probably Arial.
It worked! I already had the windows fonts installed through the terminal but it wasn't working for some reason. Thanks OP!

Reactions: Cirro84

dspeed

Oct 15, 2016
Ways of life:
(There may be other games in the same situation, but this is the only one I know.)
This is atypical because the game directory contains "nw.pak", a clear indication that the game is based on NW.js, but lacks the "www" directory and the "package.json" file. At the same time the ".exe" file is unusually big. This means that almost everything is included in the ".exe" file.
Sadly I don't know how to run this game on Linux. The changelog says the last version can be run with Wine (see Appendix D), but I couldn't find the correct configuration. I also tried to extract the files from the executable, if you are interested in the procedure read the spoiler.
Long story short, the game starts, but hangs immediately, saying "Loading TyranoScript".
I also tried using the SDK version of NW.js, that contains a debugger, but wasn't able to determine where the problem is.
Running "index.html" inside the "www" directory has a similar outcome.
Oh I know how to run Ways of Life. Delete the libGLESv2.dll that is inside the folder.

Should run perfect under Wine then.

Wine has had an issue with the Win version of OpenGL ES for years. If you delete it then it should fall back to the native version and work fine.

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Oh I know how to run Ways of Life. Delete the libGLESv2.dll that is inside the folder.

Should run perfect under Wine then.

Wine has had an issue with the Win version of OpenGL ES for years. If you delete it then it should fall back to the native version and work fine.
I tried to delete libGLESv2.dll, but I have the same problem, it hangs trying to load Tyrano. Reading from , I suspect that it has something to do with GC settings, but I better not touch them on my computer, I have this damn Optimus system that wants to burn my machine every time I try to change the settings.
The funny part is, I can play the game in a virtual machine, so it doesn't really need more than it already is available.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I tried to delete libGLESv2.dll, but I have the same problem, it hangs trying to load Tyrano.
Does the game load without deleting libGLESv2.dll (Black screen with background sound)? Because delete libGLESv2.dll worked for me. (Tested in a fresh prefix without any changes)

dspeed

Oct 15, 2016

What's your setup?
Works for me now.

winetricks corefonts

Solved the missing text issue, an update to nVidia 396.59.04 beta driver fixed the texture problems.

Reactions: lled79
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes