Please let me know

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
Just awesome renders for 'bloody noob' :)
I don't even know what to complain about from a technical/art side of view.
The female character model looks fresh enough, it remains to be seen what the game's plot will be built around, eh?

PS. The average RenPy game takes 1000-2000 individual renders. So don't be afraid to 'flood the scene with light', this can be corrected later and much faster in post-production, which saves a lot of render time. Iray render of Daz3D loves light, I think he had to work hard on the last picture, where girl stays in shadows.

Last edited:

dongus88

Dec 15, 2018
Thank you, AlexStone! For post production I use PhotoShop, which is fine I hope. Still learning my way through it, as well as the DAZ studio itself. My renders are in 4k and of course it takes a few hours (3-4) until a single one is done.
I tried to export my models to Blender for shorter animation rendering, but I failed due to genitalia HD meshes. I didn’t try hard enough tho, so I might return to that it in future.
What do you think about my resolution? I’m afraid, rendering of my animations in DAZ studio might become quite a pain in the butt. Do you see any improvements on that topic?

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
Thank you, AlexStone! For post production I use PhotoShop, which is fine I hope. Still learning my way through it, as well as the DAZ studio itself. My renders are in 4k and of course it takes a few hours (3-4) until a single one is done.
First.
PS is ok. I only use GIMP because I work on Linux and it's free software. All the tricks I usually do in GIMP you can do in PS with even less efforts.

Second.
As I wrote above, it's worth understanding that a normal game on RenPy (or any other engine that is using pre-rendered still images, but not 3D-model animation) with good character art includes minimum 1000-2000 individual renders. If the game is complex, with many storylines, or includes animations, it could easily be 5000 renders. For example, Being a DIK is already over 19000 individual renders and that's by no means the limit.

So if you take 3-4 hours for each rendering, this unpleasant fact will sooner or later bury even the most successful project. There are 8000 hours in a year (24/7/365), and any developer can never make full use of them. Hence the players' whining "well, why do we have to wait three whole months for an update". Try rendering everything just a little faster!

Therefore: Try to reduce render time as much as possible from the very beginning, or you project will sunk later! It doesn't matter how powerful computer/CPU/videocard(s) you have: it won't be enough if you don't think with your head.

E.g. even with my Ryzen 9 3950X with 64Gb RAM I have to think twice on each render.

Of course, 4K resolution immediately makes the task a few times more difficult from the nowadays minimum standard of 1920x1080 - simply based on the number of pixels to render. Of course, such a game will be enjoyable for everyone to play even in five years' time. But how do you explain to players that they will have to download 4-5-7 Gb of updates 'every f-cking time new version'? This is the scourge of games with good renders, you should think about an updater programm at this point. Or, as compromise: limit the initial release renders to the 'budget' 1920x1080 resolution, which is several times faster than 4K in terms of rendering.

You can make 4K remake afterwards - if your game will successful and popular. It is quite easy, if you store your original .duf scenes. :)

I tried to export my models to Blender for shorter animation rendering, but I failed due to genitalia HD meshes. I didn’t try hard enough tho, so I might return to that it in future.
What do you think about my resolution? I’m afraid, rendering of my animations in DAZ studio might become quite a pain in the butt. Do you see any improvements on that topic?
Blender can be a solution, but remember, that all 'bridges' and 'converters' from DAZ to Blender will be another pain in the ass, since Blender Cycles engine is quite different from DAZ Iray. I made some transfers of characters from DAZ to Blender by myself (with utilities and manually), but it is always time consuming procedure without 100% quality results.

For my experience Blender Cycles can be 3-4 times faster than Iray with same quality, but, once again, it is 'bare difference' of CPU/Videocard performance on ~same scene, without time for your efforts for proper conversion of assets, textures, shaders etc.

But, from other hand, you can speed up Iray render of DAZ with some (or, better say: many) tricks. As example, simple trick how to make a good renders of characters within the complex background/environment: (In any case 80% of your game renders will be the same and quite simple: your characters sits/stays/interacts at the table/on bed/in car placed 'somewhere', and this full detailed landscape you can show without DOF effect once, on your first 'bird-view' render). You can find a lot of such quite simple, but useful tricks in YouTube.

Also, you can check official tutorials from DAZ, e.g. : it helps me a lot, when I tried to speed up my renders. From this tutorial you easily understand the approach of 'give Iray more light' I mention in first answer to your thread. Don't afraid to 'burn' your scene with light: you can easily fix it with canvases later, in PS:

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
Thanks, once again! I really appreciate your advices! :love:
One more approach in addition to the already mentioned recipes 'let's limit the number of pixels in renders' and 'let's give the scene more light' approaches.

There are two very handy tools in DAZ: and

Here the approach is similar: let's use the strong sides of Iray's rendering, but make 'crutches' in places where it's blatantly weak: optimizing scene polygons and model textures. Let me remind you that any rich DAZ scene could be 2-3 million polygons and several hundreds of very sizable textures. I can easily track this via the Linux terminal: at its peak of its rendering DAZ Studio can 'eat up' even 50-55 Gb of RAM, and still ask for more.

So these two tools are very good for managing rich scenes, e.g. in complex interiors and with many characters and props, since they are compensate this dumb DAZ approach: 'let's render everything with best quality'. In any case, who cares about a secondary character outside the DOF limit? Or pubic hair and vagina under the skinny jeans? ;)

• Red Heart
Reactions: dongus88

dongus88

Dec 15, 2018
Hey guys. Does anyone have an advice on how to simulate her dforce hair? It looks weird to me. I tried with high air resistance, but I think, that it should be a combination of a few settings. Like gravity, stabilization time etc... :confused:
View attachment my_first_scene.mp4

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
OK .. tips about gameplay - what aye candy means 4 players:
Ever been to a museum and literally each and every relic / painting/ sculpture is lit from 2 to 5 sources?
It is because you cannot see the meaning, let alone beauty of artefacts under scarce light.
So take the lighting of this scene here:
1625948432315.png
And apply that to literally every scene with the action of the protagonist or the subject of his / our interest.

Apply those multiple light sources even on this dark dude below - we have ta see his features to admire your art!
The boy above is not an ordinary boy.

View attachment 1291090
So take the IRAY DAZ trick and light up your creations so we can see propper eye candy.

dongus88

Dec 15, 2018
Looks like I have to put more work into the lighting of my scenes. Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback!

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
Fucking awesome renders and style. All in all, great job. The decision to add stretch marks is sweet.

I normally wouldn't say anything considering how well made everything is but since you asked for feedback in the OP:
The animation looks a little robotic at a couple of spots, I can't tell you exactly why though. The movement of the guy's head and her hand moving behing his head seems, idk, a little too fast or too jerky. I can't word it exactly.
Also the transformed guy needs a little more light.
I hope I don't sound like an asshole, I really like your work.

dongus88

Dec 15, 2018
Fucking awesome renders and style. All in all, great job. The decision to add stretch marks is sweet.

I normally wouldn't say anything considering how well made everything is but since you asked for feedback in the OP:
The animation looks a little robotic at a couple of spots, I can't tell you exactly why though. The movement of the guy's head and her hand moving behing his head seems, idk, a little too fast or too jerky. I can't word it exactly.
Also the transformed guy needs a little more light.
I hope I don't sound like an asshole, I really like your work.
Thanks! You don't sound like an asshole, at all!

AlexStone

Aug 29, 2020
Looks like I have to put more work into the lighting of my scenes. Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback!
Just friendly advice. For test renders, I use these HDRIs:

They are quite varied and, from other hand - predictable, as they essentially mimic studio light.
By using of such a HDRI image you can make 90% of light setup in one click (with some adjustment of Y-rotation of HDRI later). The main advantage of HRDI is that the scene receives a very important ambient light, which point light sources do not have.

If the scene lacks some accents, it's better to use separate mesh light sources, to be honest I don't like standard light from DAZ, it's completely "dead".