Please stop timing my play

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Ren'Py devs, please, please, please stop timing dialogue and visual transitions. We all read at different speeds, and I read quickly. If I have to rollback a hundred times an hour because you "timed" a transition I'm massively disinclined to enjoy your game. Let me advance through scenes at my own pace.

Radiant is the current offender, but there have been so many others.

Last edited:

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I mean, sure, but as I said: we all read at different speeds. Don't force all of us into a single speed.

Tauro Thurius

Jul 17, 2021
I wholeheartedly agree. I hope the developers understand that such things are a turn off, and makes people actually stop playing their games. I've had a similar problem with a game where you were forced to a time limit... such stuff are really bothersome in my humble opinion.

Reactions: Segnbora

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I can squash transitions, it's true, but I'd rather not because there's a visual story that the dev wanted to tell. I'm very much into an NPC having a series of reactions/renders, but coding wherein me hitting the space bar ends all of them and moves past the subsequent dialogue is bad coding. Show me all those things, but make my "clicks" the driver that moves them forward. Not some arbitrary timer.

That said, there's no setting that fixes this particular problem.

Last edited:

CocoVC

Aug 10, 2018
If you mean when the developer intention puts a scene with Pause, that's hard-coded in there and would require a mod to remove the Pauses.
Timed choices (which I did) can be toggled off and on for slow readers.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I understand how it happens. But when I'm done reading/seeing a scene, and hit the space bar, and it fast-forwards me past a line of dialogue because I hit the space bar a microsecond before the auto-timed delivery of said dialogue...which means I have to scroll back to read it...and this happens over, and over, and over, and over again, I get annoyed. If I can consume media in an hour, don't force me to consume it in three hours. Show me everything...all the beautiful renders and words...but let me experience them at my own pace.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Radiant is the current offender, but there have been so many others.
I'm sorry to tell you that the supposed offender did this for just 9 over the near to 4000 dialogs lines. Those 9 lines:

• "{i}.{w=1}.{w=1}.{/i}"
  • mc "{i}(Is this...{w=1.6} a memory?){/i}"
  • mc "(Shit. I've got a {i}massive...{w=.5} fucking...{w=.5} erection.{/i}{w=.5} I was so tired last night I totally didn't even notice how sexy she looked.)"
  • liv ".{w=1}.{w=1}."
  • mc "(No...{w=.5} fucking...{w=.5} way.)"
  • mc "Uh.{w=.5}.{w=.5}. s-sure."
  • nat ".{w=.5}.{w=.5}.he was my world."
  • mad "With his...{w} his tenant!{w=.5} Yes!{w=.5} His younger tenant."
  • mad "{size=+10}{i}Ahhh!{w=1} What the hell was that?!{w=1} [onick]?!{/i}{/size}"

While I agree that the "..." are annoying, the only line that can be a problem is the last one. For all the others, even a fast reader wouldn't have more than 0.2 seconds between the moment he finished to read, and the moment the rest of the line would be displayed. 0.2 seconds during which you manage to hit the space bar... :/

If I can consume media in an hour, don't force me to consume it in three hours.
The problem you have, is that you hit the space bar one fraction of second after the rest of the dialog line have been displayed. What mean that you have problems with those games because you read them at the exact same speed it is supposed to be read. Said otherwise, you are consuming in 59,59 minute, a media that is supposed to be consumed in at least 1 hour.

Show me everything...all the beautiful renders and words...but let me experience them at my own pace.
Beautiful renders to which you don't even dedicate 0.2 seconds of your time...

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I definitely space barred through many, many more than 9 unexpected appearing lines of dialogue that required me to rollback to read them. Easily more than 100.

As for the renders, I spend plenty of time looking at the ones that interest me. But if they're then static while dialogue plays out, I see no reason to stop and gaze adoringly after every single line...timed or otherwise.

I any case, wouldn't it be easier to just allow players to read the dialogue at their own pace?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I definitely space barred through many, many more than 9 unexpected appearing lines of dialogue that required me to rollback to read them. Easily more than 100.
Except that those 9 lines are the only ones in the game that are timed...

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Well, then there's something else going on. It's not my space bar, since this doesn't happen when I'm typing or playing other games.

Nograce

Aug 2, 2018
Agreed. Timing could be for mini game and such but for dialogue /story telling I personally don't like them. Netflix does that in their interactive shows and I hate it so much.

Carrera

Jun 25, 2017
I read extremely fast, and yes I understand that not everyone does, but I've turned off games that were wasting my time. I needs to keep up with me. If a game's dialogue is moving so slow that I can literally pull up a spreadsheet and read through it while reading the dialogue on a game then it is moving to fucking slow. (regardless of settings)

There's been a few games I've used Unren on and tweaked the skip functionality of the game and held tab to skip a bunch of stuff, then just rolled back just so I could move it as fast as I can read.