"Pleasure thieves" game is almost ready for Patreon! Feedback?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Most companies track you mainly for ADS or to sell you products, a computer game tracking you is nothing more than shady and unnecessary, it sounds more like something you are trying to add to look more professional because companies also do it but at the end of the day, even if you add it and users would be happy with that, you'd only be wasting your time as that type of data tells you nothing important... You could get a better result by making a pool.
Well, I'm not the OP here, but i know some things about software development.

And i think that getting feedback about what parts of your game (software) are being used and which parts have problems (no one can get to that part) is very valuable.

So if you could get that in a way that does NOT identify the player, but only shows what parts of the game they have visited.... and only if the player agrees to help... it sounds like a great idea!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Well, I'm not the OP here, but i know some things about software development.

And i think that getting feedback about what parts of your game (software) are being used and which parts have problems (no one can get to that part) is very valuable.

So if you could get that in a way that does NOT identify the player, but only shows what parts of the game they have visited.... and only if the player agrees to help... it sounds like a great idea!
Using tracking for such a thing is overdoing it, most if not all game engines can generate a debug log, you can either have testers sending you the log or have them report manually.
It is even easier on a small project on Ren'Py.

Honey Tales

Donor
Game Developer
Dec 6, 2018
As I mentioned before my goal for the tracking was always to improve the game experience. That's one of the reasons I chose Unity over Renpy.

I use this service ( ), and it's pretty cool because you can set "progression points" in your game that are sent to the server and later are displayed with different charts, so I can see where the players are having problems. Let say I have an interactive sequence with some special gameplay. If I see a drop of 50% of players there, I'll know for sure I have a problem there and I will be able to fix it. Otherwise, I'll have to trust just only a few players that will be willing to send me some report or feedback.

Not only that, I can see if it's worthy for me to support different languages or 95% of player will play in english. Also sounds... I could check if players are enabling or disabling the sounds, so perhaps is not worthy to invest too much time in that. Again, is all about the game, not about identifying individual players to see what they do. Quite the opposite. I want to see the big picture. :)

Unity offers its own data tracking system, which can be used for tailor ads, but that's not my goal here, neither fit this type of game.

Yes, I totally agree.

I think it is an interesting debate for devs.

Reactions: DE=zor

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
That service seems to be good as it forces the developer to ask players if they want to be tracked or not.

Reactions: Honey Tales

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Alright, perhaps it's just because of the scenes you choose for the screenshots, but there a thing that bother me in many Ren'py games lately, yours included : They all have really short sentences who rarely reach the right side of the screen, and exceptionally need a second line. Still they all use a dialog box that can contain at least four lines.

I have nothing against short sentences and I can deal with a sentence by interaction. But if at no time in your game you'll go further than the second line, reduce the height of your dialog box. It look ridiculous like this.

Honey Tales

Donor
Game Developer
Dec 6, 2018
Good point. I'll see if I can reduce the size of the dialogue box. I know I have a few long dialogues in some points along the game, but perhaps there is a way to reduce the size. Thanks!

redle

Apr 12, 2017
Having a user interface that maintains a consistent size is a good thing. Stating that it looks ridiculous at any time that the full area is not used is just an opinion (and not even particularly accurate according to most general software usability studies I've seen). The issue is not that the dialog area of the screen has room for 4 lines regardless of how many lines are actually displayed. The true issue is that the general ren'py design uses the full screen for images and then covers that up with the text. In a number of scenarios that issue is mostly moot as the image is often just kind of a background and one doesn't need to see the part of the image obscured by the text. For instance many of the original VNs focused much of their time on the pop-up speakers (and this overlay characters with their emotes did not extend behind the dialog area, nor were they part of the background).

A lot of the adult games made currently are much more focused on only the full screen image. And quite frequently in these games, the most interesting bits of the images themselves become completely obscured by the dialog box. (Yes, one can hide the box, but that is not a very good user interface. The user should not need to constantly, manually turn a setting on and off to see the primary content.) It would be much better if developers would actually change the layout so that image and text showed up in separate portions of the screen such that both could be viewed in their entirety at the same time. Rather than have a toggle to turn on/off the text, have a toggle that pops up a larger view of the image (this would enable the same view as what a player can get now for a really good image, but would never be necessary like the current hide is). Either that, or... developers know exactly where the text dialog is going to be... tailor the images such that the portions of primary importance do not fall behind the text wall.

Sure, the text area could be made smaller easy enough, but portions of the image will still be hidden. It in no way addresses the actual issue. Plus it is hard to know how much text per display one will actually need in this, 100+ release cycle that current devs use. If one had a finished game, sure, then they could figure out how big or small they could make the box to fit all their needs. That just is not the case currently.

Honey Tales

Donor
Game Developer
Dec 6, 2018
Hi,

Where is the best place to look for beta testers? This forum or some other within F95?

Thanks!

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
Where is the best place to look for beta testers? This forum or some other within F95?
The staff has said that they plan to introduce a new forum for devs looking for collaborators and things of that nature at some point. For now this forum is your best bet.

NylamuR

Apr 28, 2022
may i ask the developer of this game if this is still active, i was one of the few people who actually love the game a long time ago.