Ren'Py POLL: Would you play Ren'py game where dialogue text has no background like Witcher 3 / Cyberpunk 2077?

Would you play Ren'py game where dialogue text has no background like Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077?

• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, I'll respond to this post with my thoughts on the subject.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
Examples:
(Notice how the dialogue has no background. I know the text is small, I'll make sure text size can be adjusted, so that's not an issue.)

Here is how traditional Ren'Py does its dialogue, with a background, in this case it's white and transparent a bit:

Another Ren'pay traditional, default background behind dialogue, in this case its black & transparent:

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
There are tons of games with transparent textboxes (or 'background' as you put it) so I don't think a poll is needed: people will play it as long the text readable and the game is OK. In fact, I'd say most players dislike the default Ren'Py textbox and if you see it so frequently is because devs just dont' know how to customize the UI or don't want to. If you choose a transparent textbox, just look out for potential colors conflict between background pics and font color, although usually using a white font with black border (as in The Witcher pic provided) is enough to avoid problems.

Last edited:

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Depends on how you make it work and how they fit the visuals.
It can make the text hard to read and frustrating in some cases so I recommend an option just to be sure, even if its intended without it by default.
Also those games have Voice Acting so that might be a factor.

Reactions: hakarlman