Porting another dev's game from RPGM to Ren'py

alifar

Jul 13, 2017
Would this be a bad thing? There's a lot of hate for RPGM games mostly because the overworld screws up story progression and something such as Nergal's games or My New Life could definitely feel much better from something like this.

I'm not talking about making a Patreon and getting money - just updating it so it's more accessible and the player doesn't feel lost.

Just wondering what your opinions are on this and wondering if it's something that you'd like to see.

Reactions: kalik and zoomg

zoomg

Modder
Nov 22, 2016
Mate you are on pirate forum, it's fine. As someone who hates rpgm and ignores 99% of them i say you would be making them a favour porting their games, and i'd like to see that.

Reactions: kalik
U

User_215882

Theres like 3 titles that use rpgm that I dont mind, but a lot rpgm games just dont even need to use it such as My New Life. Hell you would make a lot of people happy if you could do that.

Reactions: kalik

alifar

Jul 13, 2017
Theres like 3 titles that use rpgm that I dont mind, but a lot rpgm games just dont even need to use it such as My New Life. Hell you would make a lot of people happy if you could do that.
I started doing it to My New Life a little while ago but there just aren't enough background images and he doesn't use busts and eventually gave up.
Might try again, just to help me out when making my own game. Either that or I'll just browse the forums.

Is there any game that anyone super duper wants to be changed to Ren'py?

alifar

Jul 13, 2017
Mate you are on pirate forum, it's fine. As someone who hates rpgm and ignores 99% of them i say you would be making them a favour porting their games, and i'd like to see that.
I know lmao, there are just some devs around the forum. I don't want to insult anyone's work (I'd personally find it as a compliment but some people can get defensive). It's definitely a way to get more people to play your game though.

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
I don't mean to discourage for those people ... but that require a lot of works. With set up tool, you still have to copy paste all the textual content as well as the picture. Care not about pirated the original content, but for doing free work, this might result a lot of abandoned porting project. Because we ... I mean me, I can't donate you for it. So you're about facing +100 hours of works with only moral support from the community.

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
...still have to copy paste all the textual content...
Depending on which particular RPGM engine was used to create the game there are script/plugins you can add to it which will extract the text content of the game from it's database.

I believe the main time-sink (besides converting all the story logic in the RPGM game into Ren'py which in itself is not a trival task) will be laying out and rendering all the location based background assets need during the dialog (non-sex) scenes, unless you are planning on using other peoples background images for that and then you would have the issue of the sex-scene background not matching the related dialog scene background.

215303j

I'm not sure.

In some games, all the running around seems quite fundamental to the game. In Renpy, it wouldn't be the same I think. Keep in mind that they are games, not CG collections.

alifar

Jul 13, 2017
I don't mean to discourage for those people ... but that require a lot of works. With set up tool, you still have to copy paste all the textual content as well as the picture. Care not about pirated the original content, but for doing free work, this might result a lot of abandoned porting project. Because we ... I mean me, I can't donate you for it. So you're about facing +100 hours of works with only moral support from the community.
Hardest part is getting the background but it's possible to just photoshop a different background on there. I did it before when I was fiddling around with My New Life.

Porting to Ren'py isn't that hard to do, most things have workarounds. And everything else one can either cry or find a workaround

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
In some games, all the running around seems quite fundamental to the game. In Renpy, it wouldn't be the same I think. Keep in mind that they are games, not CG collections.
It can be done in the same way with Ren'py. But it will need a lot of works since no one have make it yet, so you need to have a good coder by your side (or be this good coder) to create the base code for it. Or if you have/are an artist, you can do it like Glassix (which don't use ren'py), by having a background picture for the streets and you go from one to another, passing by few.

Ahjgfg

Apr 19, 2018
Hey guys.
Can someone point me to right direction on how should I go about porting existing rpgm to Android